Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone - I just recently got my 7-month old Dachshund neutered 5 days ago. Before that, he would NEVER mark in the house...he did it once, on my mother's purse because he'd never smelt it before.

However, today, he's marked inside TWICE. It's giving me a bit of concern. I thought neutering was supposed to have the OPPOSITE effect...and even if it takes some time for the testosterone to stop, why did he mark twice in one day?

Please give some feedback, and idea of what to do to solve this...

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Marking or outright peeing in the house have the same fix...back to housetraining 101... no unsupervised freedom, crate/confine when you can't watch and clean-up with an enzyme cleaner.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
The only thing neutering does is prevent your dog from having pups or testicular cancer. Dachshunds can be very tricky to house train, I should know since I'm owned by one. He's about 4 years old and still has mistakes in the housesometimes, usually when it's wet outside, though it's not really his fault. He doesn't realise that his back legs are still 4 steps behind when he takes 2 steps out the doggie door. Also teenage pups tend to go thru a stage where they seem to forget everything they've been taught. The best thing to do when this happens is to go back to the tranng basics. Supervise at all times, when you're nt able to supervise then he should be crated or confined to an easily cleanable area. If you do catch him in the act, firmly tell him "NO" take him outside to finish and praise like crazy. It also helps if you can keep to a regular set schedule so he'll get an idea of when it's time to potty and when it's not.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
animalcracker: the issue is not with him going pee/poop inside the house. he's been on the same schedule of feeding (every day 6 am and 5 pm), and potty breaks (upon waking, after breakfast, early afternoon, after dinner, before bed) and he's been doing great. He is always crated when I cannot supervise, always has been.

The only real issue have been the 3 times he's marked something indoors. Two which occurred today, and one that occurred 2 weeks ago.

However, I will restrict him to my floor only, with a baby gate, and make sure I'm consistent with it.

When do I allow him go back downstairs? What time frame? And also, when he's able to return back down, won't the "unfamiliar smells" of the items cause him to mark again? That's why part of me is thinking of just going on as normal, since he's already marked them.

I have many friends who said their male dogs marked every room in the house before they stopped.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
The only real issue have been the 3 times he's marked something indoors. Two which occurred today, and one that occurred 2 weeks ago.
Marking inside is a house training issue. The benefit with marking, instead of just pooping/peeing, is that there's alot of sniffing and lead up to the actual marking; so it's easy to catch them in the act before they make a mistake. As Tooney and I said it's time to go back to house training 101.

As far as a time frame goes, it's all up to the indiviuals(you and him). It depends on how consitent you are and how quickly he gets the message. Thankfully Dachsund are pretty smart and know when they're getting into trouble, though that doesn't always stop them from getting into trouble, lol.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha yes I agree! He did it again today, but this time I caught him and scolded him heavily. He KNEW he did something wrong, and for 10 minutes, had his tail between his legs and laid down at my foot. He's never done that before, so I think he got the picture.

However, I spoke to my vet, and he said that dogs urinating more frequently and inside the house (although housebroken) is very normal. He says it's a way they cope with the physical and mental changes, as well as the change in their routine that day. He said to give him til the end of the week, at which point if he hasnt stopped, to have him checked for a UTI.

What a load off my mind! Thought my training went down the crapper!

But I will stil keep an eye and restrict his movement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts