Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My contract states that I must have Eddee neutered. It is set in stone. I must travel in all .... 4 hours tomorrow ... I mean Friday ... to the Pet Hospital to have this done. ( the one the shelter/rescue uses)

Eddee is only 11.8 pounds and that in itself makes me a bit nervous concerning anesthesia ... but have no choice. :/

Also ... should I ask for something to keep him calm once the anesthesia wears off? He is a live wire almost 24/7 and even with crate games and his kong ... he is not going to be a happy camper and I guarantee it is going to be an ugly first week for both of us for sure! Lol! :)

He loves to be a jumping bean and also plays fiercely with Abbylynn. :/

Any advice?

Also: where am I going to find a pair of boys underwear small enough to fit him ... I can already anticipate him licking his wound. :/ Could ask for a cone? It is a two hour drive one way. I must get it all accomplished while I am there.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
First, best wishes for an easy surgery and speedy recovery for little Eddee. I've only been through one dog spay, so I'm far from knowledgeable.

As far as keeping him quiet, the pain meds should do some of that. When Katie was spayed & 'pexied, she was pretty lazy the first two days and I suspect the lingering anesthesia, pain meds, and the stress of traveling & overnight hospital stay contributed to her demeanor. I also kept her on a leash or confined by baby gates for the first week. You might try keeping Eddee and Abbylynn separated as much as possible while he recovers.

We were "given" (for $25) a cone as part of the operation. I suspect the hospital where you go will offer you a cone or you could buy one at a pet store (possibly cheaper?). Can't help with boys' undies, but could there be something for toddlers that would work?

Good luck and try to stay calm.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you cookieface!

Eddee is my third boy to be neutered ... but it has been almost 6 years.

I keep telling myself all will be fine. I may just see about the cone while I am there. :)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
We had to get Maddie spayed the first week we had her, poor thing, and it was relatively easy. She didn't bother her sutures too much, and we didn't put a cone on her. They usually dope them up with pain meds before releasing them, which should last until the next day. You could ask for some Medicam (also ask for the special Medicam dosing syringe - it has the dog's weight as the dosing marks, rather than mL's or tsp.). I already had some, so the spay/neuter clinic didn't send any home with Maddie. I gave her some for about the first 4 days after her spay.

The main thing is to keep the dog quiet for at least 5-7 days. We crated Maddie unless she was on the couch laying quietly with us - no exceptions. Don't let your dog jump up/down on the couch or climb stairs. When Maddie went outside, she was on a leash - no exceptions. Being strict like that will cause them fewer problems and will cause them to heal quicker. A week of inconvenience will be worth it in the long run.

Good luck!

Males tend to handle neutering easier than females handle spaying, so your dog should be fine.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks georgiapeach! ... "Medicam and the syringe" ... I will write it down on his vet records so I do not forget ... I have to take his records to prove he has been taken to my vet and up to date on everything. :)

I agree for sure about spay vs neuter. Abbylynn was only my second spay girl. There was a definite difference. My very first spay was a 9 month old rescue ... a now 10 year old who resides with one of my Sisters ... and that dog got very ill ... poor girl. :(

I am sorry ... I have all my days mixed up! It is scheduled for Friday! Lol! :/ Duh!:doh:

·
Registered
537 Posts
I would get the cone collar. I got one for Dixie and ended up not needing it but I like to have one around anyway for emergency use. Dixie is eleven pounds and did just fine with the anesthesia. She was fairly calm for a terrier but was also in a strange place. Her fosters dropped her off at their vet for the spay and we picked her up from there.

As for finding underwear small enough I have used a modified toddler onesie before. Just cut a hole for the tail. It stays on much better than underwear. If you go that route you just have to make sure it is big enough to fit and that it doesn't rub the incision.

Terriers as you know are high energy. Dixie is hyper but she is a snuggler too. If I sit on the couch and watch movies or read a book she will lay calmly next to me. Would he calm down if you sat with him? Think of it as a mini-vacation at home.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would get the cone collar. I got one for Dixie and ended up not needing it but I like to have one around anyway for emergency use. Dixie is eleven pounds and did just fine with the anesthesia. She was fairly calm for a terrier but was also in a strange place. Her fosters dropped her off at their vet for the spay and we picked her up from there.

As for finding underwear small enough I have used a modified toddler onesie before. Just cut a hole for the tail. It stays on much better than underwear. If you go that route you just have to make sure it is big enough to fit and that it doesn't rub the incision.

Terriers as you know are high energy. Dixie is hyper but she is a snuggler too. If I sit on the couch and watch movies or read a book she will lay calmly next to me. Would he calm down if you sat with him? Think of it as a mini-vacation at home.
I thank you for the onesie suggestion! :) Edde may settle if I lay in bed ... just have to be sure he does not jump. Actually I may just camp out on the floor with him. I had forgotten about the neuter and already allowed him to start sleeping in the bed at night. He does fine in a crate in the day. Crating overnight may not appeal at all to him. Lol! :)

Eddee is a high jumper on to everything and anything!

Mini camping trip! Lol!

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
I thank you for the onesie suggestion! :) Edde may settle if I lay in bed ... just have to be sure he does not jump. Actually I may just camp out on the floor with him. I had forgotten about the neuter and already allowed him to start sleeping in the bed at night. He does fine in a crate in the day. Crating overnight may not appeal at all to him. Lol! :)

Eddee is a high jumper on to everything and anything!

Mini camping trip! Lol!
When Katie came home, she got on the bed with me, but I kept her leash wrapped tightly around my hand. If she moved, I knew. My husband thought it was ridiculous and allowed her up without the leash. You can guess what happened: she jumped down before he could grab her, hit her hip on the nightstand, and landed on her belly. To say I was furious with him is an understatement.

We did crate her at night, but she was used to it as we crate her during the day.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When Katie came home, she got on the bed with me, but I kept her leash wrapped tightly around my hand. If she moved, I knew. My husband thought it was ridiculous and allowed her up without the leash. You can guess what happened: she jumped down before he could grab her, hit her hip on the nightstand, and landed on her belly. To say I was furious with him is an understatement.

We did crate her at night, but she was used to it as we crate her during the day.
Owwwweee!!!! Poor Katie! :( I am glad she survived it all!

If worse comes to worse I will use the crate at night and put in my ear plugs! Lol! :) Just kidding!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Aidan was neutered two months ago. The vet sent me home with pain meds and I gave Aidan all of them, as prescribed. He wore a soft cone I bought at Petco for about 5 days. After that, it wasn't necessary. Being Aidan, he could reach around the cone, even though it was the right size, so I just kept a close eye on him and distracted him (bully sticks, cow ears, treats). He sleeps all night, so I wasn't worried about him getting to his incision while I slept.

He did great, even though I was sure that he would really hurt himself, as active as he is. Throughout his recovery period, he ran up the stairs, got around the living room by jumping from couch to end table to settee, stood on his head and then flopped over, barked at every passing tractor while hopping up and down at the window, climbed onto the dining table, and so forth.

He barely noticed he had been neutered ... I was the one doing all the worrying.

I think it helped that the vet neutered him by making an incision in his scrotum. I thought for sure he hadn't been neutered at all -- but sure enough, he had been.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Aidan was neutered two months ago. The vet sent me home with pain meds and I gave Aidan all of them, as prescribed. He wore a soft cone I bought at Petco for about 5 days. After that, it wasn't necessary. Being Aidan, he could reach around the cone, even though it was the right size, so I just kept a close eye on him and distracted him (bully sticks, cow ears, treats). He sleeps all night, so I wasn't worried about him getting to his incision while I slept.

He did great, even though I was sure that he would really hurt himself, as active as he is. Throughout his recovery period, he ran up the stairs, got around the living room by jumping from couch to end table to settee, stood on his head and then flopped over, barked at every passing tractor while hopping up and down at the window, climbed onto the dining table, and so forth.

He barely noticed he had been neutered ... I was the one doing all the worrying.

I think it helped that the vet neutered him by making an incision in his scrotum. I thought for sure he hadn't been neutered at all -- but sure enough, he had been.

Lol! I do not mean to laugh ... not laughing at the seriousness of the situation ... but Aidan sounds like Eddee! Lol! :) Eddee is a Terrior Terror for sure! Lol!

In fact Eddee jumped up on my lap tonight while I was eating dinner and wanted to help me eat my dinner! This morning he jumped up on my already crowded drafting table and I have no idea what he was looking for ... but he had hardly any room to walk! Lol! I thought maybe he was going to use the computer! :)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Lol! I do not mean to laugh ... not laughing at the seriousness of the situation ... but Aidan sounds like Eddee! Lol! :) Eddee is a Terrior Terror for sure! Lol!
Sometimes Aidan reminds me of a cat. The rest of the time, I wonder if he is going to break his neck. We have a window air conditioner in the living room, and the part that sticks out is only 2" or 3" deep. He is working on figuring out how to stand on it so he can look out that window, too. I put his wire crate under that window yesterday to stop him, and I'm keeping an eye out to make sure that doesn't help him instead.

BTW, Aidan is still his same entertaining self after having been neutered at 15 mos old. I was worried that that he would change into a calm, quiet, predictable dog. I've gotten used to having a terrier, so much so that when I get a second dog, it will be another terrier instead of a collie.

PS Your PM box is full.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Sometimes Aidan reminds me of a cat. The rest of the time, I wonder if he is going to break his neck. We have a window air conditioner in the living room, and the part that sticks out is only 2" or 3" deep. He is working on figuring out how to stand on it so he can look out that window, too. I put his wire crate under that window yesterday to stop him, and I'm keeping an eye out to make sure that doesn't help him instead.

BTW, Aidan is still his same entertaining self after having been neutered at 15 mos old. I was worried that that he would change into a calm, quiet, predictable dog. I've gotten used to having a terrier, so much so that when I get a second dog, it will be another terrier instead of a collie.

PS Your PM box is full.
Thanks for the ps! :) EDIT: I cleared my box! Lol! :)

For sure ... be careful with the crate under the air conditioner for fear Aidan gets a foot or toe caught climbing! You just never know ... he may think he is a high wire artist too! Lol! :)

I for sure love the Terrier personalities ... other dogs I have had seem a little too calm after having Terriers!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
For sure ... be careful with the crate under the air conditioner for fear Aidan gets a foot or toe caught climbing! You just never know ... he may think he is a high wire artist too! Lol! :)
Oh, I am! Luckily, Aidan is always with me. I can grab him in time if he decides to try that. He helps me around the house, you know. He's especially good at grabbing something and running away after he makes sure I see it, right when I am in a big hurry.

I know what you mean about other dogs. I love them all. But, sometimes I look at my friend's three collies (my heart breed) and wonder why they aren't doing something besides lie around. Of course, I know collies do things, but I am so used to Aidan now that other dogs seem sedate to me.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Sorry I saw this too late. I recommend getting a collar and just leave it on him for the entire week. You can't count on pain or the meds to keep him quiet... it really is a minor procedure for most dogs. However, I've found that the collar makes dogs a lot quieter (and they look so pitiful :) ) ... but they don't run around while the collar is on, and of course they don't lick. Plus, they can sleep with a collar.

He'll be just fine when he wakes up... and he may be a double-dose of crazy from being cooped up. Persist, it's only for a week or so. Let us know...

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks for your concern with Eddee .....

Eddee's neuter did not phase him a bit!!! Lol! :) He came a scurrying around the corner half sliding on the floor when the vet tech brought him out to me. I bet they had their hands full with him before they put him under! Lol! :)

He is home now ... picked him up at 4:30pm and had to drive almost two hours back home. :/ I did get him an E-Collar ... but he is sleeping right now in his crate. I will put the collar on tomorrow as it is almost bedtime here in a few hours. I don't think he will do much over night. He has to remain in his crate over night. The other two dogs are too nosey and want to bother him. This will get him worked up for sure! Morning will be a different story I am sure! :)

I also had him micro chipped and his nails cut. He is terrible with the nails too ... first time I tried ... he bit me! Eddee and I have a lot of training to do. :/

Eddee only has two days worth of pain meds.

He did eat 1/8 of a cup of dog food and a sip of water. I will wait one hour and give him another 1/8 cup of food if it stays down and his stomach is not upset. He seems to be a tough little dog. This is all good. :)

We started all this day's routine at 4am. I am bushed! ... and it is only 7:30. Uuuugh!

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Glad to hear he's home and resting. Katie was chipped during her spay since I didn't want her to feel the giant needle. She was given a week's worth of pain meds. I only gave her two pills and I think they were more for me than her :)

Hope Eddee does very well - and rests as he's supposed to. You get some rest, too. That's quite a bit of stress for one day.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Glad to hear he's home and resting. Katie was chipped during her spay since I didn't want her to feel the giant needle. She was given a week's worth of pain meds. I only gave her two pills and I think they were more for me than her :)

Hope Eddee does very well - and rests as he's supposed to. You get some rest, too. That's quite a bit of stress for one day.
Thank you! :) I am going to go to bed as soon as I can get Eddee settled for the night .... very soon! Lol! :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts