Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Those both look like some pretty darn good foods! Nice that they give a full nutrition analysis right there on their website. I wouldn't get too hung up over a half star. Pretty much any high protein food with a moderate level of fat gets 5 stars on there. A lot of foods get knocked down for being high in fat too, which isn't a bad thing for every dog. DFA is a good source to be able to look at the ingredients of multiple foods on one site, but I personally don't take the ratings all too seriously, too many variables they don't take into consideration when rating. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chewy was bought by PetSmart - this is why Acana/Orijen stopped selling to Chewy...not the other way around. So I really don't think there is truth to the Nestle thing...I think people are just stirring up drama.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Chewy was bought by PetSmart - this is why Acana/Orijen stopped selling to Chewy...not the other way around. So I really don't think there is truth to the Nestle thing...I think people are just stirring up drama.
Yes, that is what I said in my original post. That Orijen/Acana refused to continue to do business with Chewy because they were bought by a larger company. No one is stirring drama... Nor does that prove that the Nestle thing won’t happen

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
This brand is also popular with the folks I train with.
https://sportdogfood.com/working-dog-grain-peas-free-turkey-formula/

It is not cheap but you feed less and there is a calculator to help estimate the cost.

I like that they do not use peas. So many companies have gone to peas as base for their foods and the result is protein numbers are boosted but a lot of the pea protein is not available to the dog.

Sport dog sticks to Potato base pretty much. They also use Sorghum in foods with grains.

I feed mostly raw because kibble seems to have become a mine field of not a lot of good choices and peas...

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
On this topic... Does anyone have recommendations for high protein, high calorie, high quality dog food? I'd like to wean in a different brand in light of this potential change. Sor's been on gradually increasing protein in the 10+ years I've had him (Purina, Wellness, TotW, Earthborn, Orijen). He didn't do poorly on any food, except Wellness and loose stools. But I noticed smaller, tighter stools the higher up the scale I went. I really love how both my dogs do on Orijen and Brae's been on that his entire life. Brae gets 4 cups, 1800 kcals a day.

I'd like to keep a similar nutrient profile if possible. Orijen was what I thought to be the gold standard (with respect to the fact that all dogs are different and do well with different things). So it makes me sad that I'll probably need to look elsewhere.

My local pet food store, whom I'd also like to support, is looking into different brands too. But currently they carry: ORIJEN, ACANA, NATURE'S LOGIC, ZIGNATURE,
FROMM, EARTHBORN HOLISTIC, LOTUS, VICTOR, SPORTMIX WHOLESOMES, CARNA 4, FUSSIE CAT, UNDER THE SUN, OPEN FARM

Sorry for the caps. I copied and pasted. I'd like to keep buying from them but if there's a 'better' brand they don't carry, I will do what's best for my dogs. I can't do dehydrated or raw though. That's way out of my price range and storing capacity at this time.
Do you have access to First Mate? I fed it to my collies. They liked it and didn't have any stomach problems with it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Acana and Orijen are the two dry foods my dog will eat *sometimes*. I do like the quality and ingredient sourcing. They seem to be very proud of their family owned business, so I doI would be surprised unless they’re suffering financial issues.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts