Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is a Rottweiler/Bulldog/Bloodhound/Mastiff Mix, 1 year old, and still growing. He's terrified of baths, and while it's not a 'dangerous' situation, it does leave me more of a mess to clean up.
I would usually try to promote it with encouragement, but Gonzo doesn't respond to treats - he just takes them and spits them out. So I have no way to get him into the bathtub because he has no food motivation really. I really want to be able to bathe him thoroughly instead of just his back.

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
I bathe my large dog who isn't a fan of baths outside during the warm months. Using a hose. He moves around a bit more but its safe since no one will slip on the pavement like in a bathtub, he doesn't have to jump over the edge of the tub (which is tough to convince him to do and slightly dangerous if he lands wrong) and I can move around him to soap and rinse well rather than trying to get him to turn around in the tub. He usually only gets 2 bathes or so over the warm months. It seems less of a "bath" to him than being in the small bathroom and standing in the tub.

In the cold months, I use a self-service bathing station at the pet shop. It has large step-in shower areas with a sprayer and rubber matting for secure footing and just a small ledge that the dog has to step over. Since its only about 1 time per winter, the $10 fee is well worth it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I take mine into the shower with me, since I'm going to get wet anyway. I've got one of those removable shower heads and I set the water for luke warm to make it comfortable for my pup and I use Johnson's baby shampoo and take care to keep any of it out of her eyes and also try to keep her ears more or less dry since she's prone to ear infections if she gets them wet. This isn't a common event- usually I only bathe my dogs if they get into something nasty and stink. Other than that, their normal doggie odor is fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts