Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 month old, female, black lab/australian shepherd mix. I bought her when she was 3 months old. During that time I have continued to feed her what I was told she was already eating which is Purina Pro Plan Sport which I did research on and many people with labs have had great success with. I asked my vet about this and she said it was fine and that this food can also be given to them from pup to adult. However, I did notice when I bought her that she looked a little overweight. She was 22 lbs at 3 months and is now 34 lbs at 4 months. I?m not too sure if that?s normal, but I?m assuming it depends on the individual pup (some are just larger than others). I do know that she looked a little overweight to me. I assumed that perhaps they were feeding too much. I did some research and decided on 1 3/4 cups in the morning and 1 3/4 cups in the evening. When I went to her recent vet appointment to get her shots a different vet had to see her, because the other was not working that day. While this vet seemed way more attentive (I believe his dad owns the clinic), he told me that the sport plan was not suitable for pups and that it should only really be given to the most active of dogs. He recommended that I switch to Purina Pro Plan Focus chicken and rice formula for puppies and switch to an adult food at around 8 months. I?m completely on board with that, because I also read that the sport 30/20 has a higher fat content (although the solution I was thinking was just switching her to the Sport 26/16, but I was fine with the focus). My concern though is that he also said for me to only feed her 1 5/8 cups per day and to just split that in half to feed in the morning and evening. Do you feel that this is not enough? She does seem to be quite hungry still after. She?s smart and let?s me know what she wants. She?ll bring me her water bowl when she?s thirsty and drinks all of her water. She?ll now go and stare at her food bag that?s up on the shelf. I don?t want her to be hungry all the time, but if the second vet was correct then perhaps she is just one of those pups that can eat until sick. What do you all think?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I agree with using puppy food. I'd just decrease the food amount if she's chubby until she's thinner... I had to do that with my puppy too. Just don't go from one extreme to another. You have to be able to feel her ribs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with using puppy food. I'd just decrease the food amount if she's chubby until she's thinner... I had to do that with my puppy too. Just don't go from one extreme to another. You have to be able to feel her ribs.
Thanks for the quick response! So do you think decreasing from 3 1/2 cups per day to 1 5/8 cups is too much of a decrease or do you believe this to be sound advice?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Thanks for the quick response! So do you think decreasing from 3 1/2 cups per day to 1 5/8 cups is too much of a decrease or do you believe this to be sound advice?
Puppy food will have more calories per cup. Honestly, I'd look at what the package says and feed 1/2 cup less. It really depends on how many treats etc your puppy gets too...

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Larger breed puppies generally do fine with an all life stages, or even adult, food. Use the amount recommended on the bag as a starting point, and adjust up or down as needed. If she starts looking pudgy, cut back some. If she starts looking skinny, add a bit.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
To add to what the other posters have said - if she's still hungry after meals, look into adding some low calorie toppers that increase the volume of what she's consuming without increasing her caloric intake significantly.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
You were over feeding your puppy (it sounds like) so she's fat, that's what happens.
As to the vet and feeding
Purina Pro Plan Sport is an ALL LIFE STAGES food, so therefore can be given from puppy to adult. Your dogs breeder was right, the vet wrong.

Feed less than your dog will lose weight. It doesn't matter if she wants more, plenty of dogs will over eat. I've heard it isn't uncommon in Labs.

I don't see the fat content being too high?

I feed my 3 month old about 2 cups a day and my 5 month old eats around 1 and 3/4 cups a day.

These are some puppy foods (or all life stages foods) I've used my dogs/pups are in good condition.

Nutrisource Super Performance / Small and medium breed puppy (they are the SAME formula, different packaging)
32/21 480 kcals per cup

Native Level 4 35/25 550 kcals per cup

Victor select Nutra Pro active dog and puppy 38/18 475 kcals per cup

Victor Hi Pro Plus 30/20 450 kcals per cup

Pro Pac Ultimates Chicken Meal & Brown Rice 30/20 390 kcal per cup

Pro Pac Ultimates Overland Red grain free 23/12 340 kcal per cup

Pro Pac Ultimates Heartland Choice grain free 24/14 365 kcal per cup

Puppy food will have more calories per cup. Honestly, I'd look at what the package says and feed 1/2 cup less. It really depends on how many treats etc your puppy gets too...
Calories vary by brand and type, ect so it isn't always true. They need to check the package and recommended feeding, but if course adjust from there.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
1 5/8 cups of a high calorie food (Pro Plan formulas mentioned are 475 and 468 kcal/cup, respectively) doesn't sound to me like an unreasonable amount of food for a 50-60 lb adult dog, so I don't think the amount is an issue. But personally, I wouldn't cut it back all at once - that's a huge drop in calories that will likely make your dog (and therefore you) pretty miserable. I'd scale back by 1/3 or 1/2 cup a week over a few weeks until you get to the target amount.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Our dogs vary in weight from about 46 lbs to close to 60 and all three get about two cups per day, on in the morning and one in the evening. Usually a tbs of wet food gets mixed in just to add some moisture and flavor. Our daughter (a vet tech) adds a handful of canned green beans to her dog's food because it's always a little hungrier than the others.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts