Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after much deliberation, hubby and I have finally decided to submit an adoption application to a local breed-specific rescue group. We decided to go with many recommendations to look for an adult dog that is known to be good with cats and has basic commands down, since it will be our first dog as adults. I am just so nervous about the whole application process...I could use some encouragement. I worry that they will turn us down because my husband was honest in saying that the dog may sleep outside at night during good weather and because we don't have a fenced yard, just planning to get a dog run. We really do plan to have a mostly indoor dog, but we live in the country and want him/her to enjoy plenty of outside time in the yard whenever they want as well. I just hope that the rescue group will allow us to fully explain our plans and understand that we will offer all the love and care we have....but I am still so nervous about it! And it doesn't help to know we may have to wait for a while before we even hear from them. Any encouragement would be helpful!

·
Registered
823 Posts
Good luck! Hopefully they will appreciate your honesty and decide to talk with you about your plans and help you find the perfect dog. What breed?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Best of luck. Hopefully they will ask you questions is they have concerns. I don't see anything wrong with the dog sleeping outside on a nice cool clear night, but there has got to be a fence or something keeping him safe.
Dog run would be good but the rescue will probably want to see that it's already there and not just a plan for the future.
They also might do a home-check, be prepared.

But hey, if this one doesn't work out than theres always another.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Good luck with your application
It does depend on the rescue how they will handle your app - The one I work with would discuss with you the the risks associated with the dog being outside unattended- although if you insisted they would deny the application - Dobes aren't good outside dogs though so a collie rescue may have different requirements

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Best of luck. Hopefully they will ask you questions is they have concerns. I don't see anything wrong with the dog sleeping outside on a nice cool clear night, but there has got to be a fence or something keeping him safe.
Dog run would be good but the rescue will probably want to see that it's already there and not just a plan for the future.
They also might do a home-check, be prepared.
QUOTE]

Yes, we know they will do a home visit, and if we got to that point, my husband would probably be willing to go ahead and install a dog run before they came so they could see it. And since we do live in the country with some raccoons and coyotes occasionally visiting, any run we build will be 6ft. high and have top panels as well to keep the dog safe. I just hope they do ask us questions that will allow us to explain all that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts