Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Nener thought much of a Border Collie, until yesterday.

948 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  GottaLuvMutts 
#1 · (Edited)
I've always heard Border Collie are the smartest dog, but for some reason they just never did much for me. I've always liked the look they have but nearly every one I've seen has looked dirty and unmaintained. I always just attributed that to the breed themselves (don't know why).

Yesterday however, I was walking and I came across a guy walking his Border Collie and she was one of the most striking dogs I've ever seen. I spent a few minutes talking to the guy and watching the dog.

I don't know exactly why, but they now seem so much more interesting to me.

**update**
The first word of the thread title was supposed to be "never" not "nener". I knew it was too early to try and think.... -sigh-

#2 ·
maybe that's b/c they are working dogs that you've seen dirty/unkept....mine are not brushed daily but they are far from unkept or dirty (unless they were just out playing on muddy days, but give them time to dry and brush out and they're good to go...)

i absolutely LOVE the breed.....

#3 ·
i know a few people who keep border collies and australian shepherds. they run around in the pasture with the horses, so they get dirty often! they are very smart, though. i wish winston had more border collie in him. he does stalk, but thats all ive seen him do that can be attributed to a border collie.

#5 ·
They are great dogs, and have always been one of my favorites from the time I was a small child and I met my first one, named Zac. He belonged to a really nice lady at a flea market, and she let me play fetch with him in a small area behind her table and out of the way of other people. I was tickled pink and fascinated by the way he moved and stalked the ball I was throwing for him. Looking back on it some 25 years later and knowing what I know now about dogs, he must have been an incredible farm dog.

#6 ·
Many Border Collies are working dogs with jobs...so being clean and beautiful at any given time isn't exactly top priority ;). What they can do is more important than what they look like.

Love Border Collies and ACDs, and what they look like is the least of it. Smart, driven, dogs who can really be very rewarding (if high maintenance) even as pets without jobs...though they STILL need one, even if it's fabricated (by the owner, if the dog picks the job, you won't like it!).

#7 ·
Doesn't any dog with long fur look dirty when they get muddy, just brush them and there good to go again, i love BC's, they are so smart, as mad as anything, and very active, always ready to go no matter what, and come in all different beautiful colours, only mistake people make is thinking they only come in black and white, my Holly is tri BC, my first BC but she will not be my last!.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.