Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Playing in the back yard today. I'm not feeling well today, so instead of going on our walk, I tossed the ball for an hour.

FACE NOM!

Such a handsome boy, even shaved down.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The one and only time that will be shaved down. It was done with out my approval by my mother. She was watching them for me last week and shaved them own because "they were so hot!"

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
They're both gorgeous. Looks like they had a fun time!

And seeing Dexter's coat pattern and body shape shaved down, all I can think is...holy crap, maybe the shelter was right when they said Sydney was an Aussie/beagle mix. They look so much alike. o_o

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
They are still adorable either way! :)

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
The one and only time that will be shaved down. It was done with out my approval by my mother. She was watching them for me last week and shaved them own because "they were so hot!"
Actually, if you brush to get the undercoat out, the hair insulates them from the heat. I've never quite understood shaving Aussies except a couple of rescues I had come in who were really matted past groomability. .

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Actually, if you brush to get the undercoat out, the hair insulates them from the heat. I've never quite understood shaving Aussies except a couple of rescues I had come in who were really matted past groomability. .
Yeah, you never want to shave a dog with fur*, especially if they have a double coat, though I'm sure Whiskey's dogs will be fine. However, if that were my mother, she would not be fine. She would probably be bald.

*Does not apply to poodles, etc. Puppy cut them all you like.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Out of curiosity, what kind problems does it cause?
Double coated dogs (not single coated dogs) fur actually acts as a natural barrier and thermo-regulator in both hot and cold weather. When the undercoat is not matted and regularly brushed even a siberian husky can be fine out in the heat for as long as any other dog. Shaving them can also cause them not to grow their coats back in correctly (and therefore permanently alter their ability to insulate against temperature). It is a good practice to not shave a double coated dog except for medical needs or extreme matting.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks Charis,
I've heard that there were no benefits to shaving long coated dogs in the heat but was not aware that it could effect their coat permanently. Interesting. I've always owned short-haired, single coated dogs so never looked into it any further.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I may be a bit partial to Aussies with tails, but I haven't seen a breeder in the US that doesn't dock. SO Dex will be my only tailed Aussie.
there are actually quite a few that I have seen leave tails on but you have to know where to look. While I think the tail is pretty in it's own way, It not something I would want. I actually would prefer a short natural bob over a docked dog, all of mine are docked but my Hawkeye is also a natural bob.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts