Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My next-door neighbor has always had outside dogs, usually chihuahuas. One of her dogs got pregnant and had two puppies. We got one of the puppies (Bailey) and they kept the other (Max). Momma dog ran off after a raccoon and never returned, then a few days later their other outside dog died while having a seizure.

My neighbors husband went out and got a puppy to replace the second dog who died, so again they had two dogs. There was never any question that Bailey would be an inside dog, and always on a leash when outside. We live in a trailer park and do not have fenced-in yards. My neighbor started out having her two new puppies inside at all times except for potty breaks, but then she wouldn't leash them, just open the door and let them out for a while.

The new puppy is, we think, a shih tzu, and I guess they are known for marking their territory. For days we were finding dog poop on our porch. I told my neighbor and she started letting the dogs out in the front of her house, rather than the back, and that seemed to take care of the problem. As the dogs have gotten older (Max is almost 5 months, Shih Tzu is about 7) my neighbor has let the dogs stay out for longer and longer times. They are never leashed and roam around, even several houses away. They do go in the house at night or if she leaves.

We started noticing stains on the concrete where our outdoor trash can sits and wondered if the trash was leaking somehow. But then I noticed wetness on the wheels and side of the can, like a dog had peed on it. Since then I've noticed dog urine all over the place around our home - it's on the house (the skirting actually), all over the sidewalk, the trash can, our car tires. And there is increasingly more poop in our yard and now on the sidewalk leading from the driveway to the porch, every morning.

I'm not sure what to do or if there is even anything I can do. Is there any kind of product that I can spray around that will deter the dogs from marking up the area around my home? This is really getting disgusting and frustrating.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
How annoying! People can really be a pita sometimes.

I've seen a few things offered in catalogs and such. You can try sound as a deterrent such as this:
http://www.harrietcarter.com/lawn-garden_pest-control/solar-repeller/
...but it may annoy your dog & others as well.

A google search for "dog repel" will come up with a ton of things....like this: http://www.mastergardening.com/dog-cat-repellent-granular-7lb/

Just do your research and be super sure anything like spray/dust is safe for everyone including wildlife.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Wouldn't any repeller work on the OP's dog, too?

I suppose talking to them again would be pointless? What about offering them a tie out system to keep their dogs on their property? Would they take one if offered? (I know it seems like rewarding someone for acting badly, but it would benefit you.)

If not, I would do one of two things, either contact animal control every time their dogs are left out unattended or contact the trailer park management. Remember, they've already had one die a completely preventable death. If they won't protect their dogs, someone has to.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Tell them to keep their dogs home. If they refuse, contact your landlord. If your landlord is like mine and sorry PITA, then contact animal control and let them know what's going on. Likely they'll warn the owners.

I have this problem too and I cannot count the times I've had to tell people to just keep their fricken dogs home. If I can do it, they can too. What it usually is is people are pushing their dogs out the door to go to the bathroom and not GAF where they're going or what they're doing. There are a couple dogs down here that are out every. day. It's one thing for a dog to manage to get away every now again, but every day is just too much. Yesterday I had to throw gravels at them because they insisted upon running after Aleu and I. Their owners have been informed quite enough.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I'd definitely talk to your neighbors, explain what's been happening and let them know that you don't expect it to happen again - nicely, of course. If it continues, I'd lodge a complaint with your landlord (as mentioned above), and the police/animal control, if necessary. Does your area have a leash law? That would help your cause tremendously.

BTW, chis are NOT outside dogs; neither are shih tzus - argghh!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Wouldn't any repeller work on the OP's dog, too?
I didn't even consider this. :doh:

I guess I'll have to try and talk to her again. She is from another country (though she has been here 10+ years) and has said that where she is from dogs are not treated like we treat them in the US. She was surprised when she learned that I get down on the floor and play with Bailey every day. Her kids play with the puppies, but she does not.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I would be contacting the mobile home park management and/or the police. Find out what your leash laws are as well.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
That is not allowed in Texas. Sometimes, you can talk with Animal Control, and ask them to go over and talk with the owner to explain the situation and repercussions, without actually doing anything.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
You can always use the deterrent around the edge of the property where the neighbor’s dog comes over. Your dog isn't over on that side anyway...?

I have no idea if the sprinkle/spray stuff works at all. But I’m sure a/c won’t be interested in doing anything about it...might be worth a try.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I would be contacting the mobile home park management and/or the police. Find out what your leash laws are as well.
I was going to say that as well - some mobile home parks are pretty strict...esp when it comes to pets. Many places won't let you garden or put up a fence let alone have dogs or cats running loose.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Many thanks
I don't mean this to be rude, but, who exactly are you replying to? As you've left little ending comments like these on several threads already o_O

1 - 11 of 11 Posts