Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had Prince neutered last week at about the very same time my neighbors female came into heat (when she first began to bleed). They normally play together but I heard he might still be able to father pups so I decided to ground him. He is going nuts to want to be with her. How long will he want to mate with her if he is now fixed?:lie:

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
It depends of the dog. My neighbor's Poodle was fixed prior to 6 months and continued to want to hump every female he saw until he died at 14. He actually accomplished a tie at the age of 11 with a small breed female . . . and they thought that couldn't happen.

Rule of thumb from now until years from now . . . if she is in heat, even if he is fixed, keep them apart. Same applies for other females in heat.

SOB

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Dogs are castrated when they are neutered. I have never heard of them being able to impregnate another dog post castration. When human males are sterilized, the tubes that bring the sperm from the testicles is cut and tied off (or burned) - but there can be some hangin' around after and it takes a few weeks for the sperm count to drop to 0. Maybe this is what you're confusing it with?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Dogs are castrated when they are neutered. I have never heard of them being able to impregnate another dog post castration. When human males are sterilized, the tubes that bring the sperm from the testicles is cut and tied off (or burned) - but there can be some hangin' around after and it takes a few weeks for the sperm count to drop to 0. Maybe this is what you're confusing it with?
There are still some sperm left in the tubes after castration. Exactly how long they hang around isn't known for dogs, but there are documented cases of stallions impregnating mares up to 3 months after being gelded.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I just had Prince neutered last week at about the very same time my neighbors female came into heat (when she first began to bleed). They normally play together but I heard he might still be able to father pups so I decided to ground him. He is going nuts to want to be with her. How long will he want to mate with her if he is now fixed?:lie:
If he's like my old neutered boy, you could be waiting forever.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
. . . Maybe this is what you're confusing it with?
If this comment is to my post I am not confusing anything. This Poodle was not the only dog that I know of that has accomplished a tie long AFTER being neutered.

Another accounting of the same type of incident is here - http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/behavioral-issues/111972-neutered-dog-mating-im-so-confused.html

I did not suggest any dog was impregnated, as none was.

If you check out the diagram below you will see that the bulbous glandis is not affected by a neuter, and an excited dog - neutered or not - can still accomplish a tie.

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/males-swollen.html

SOB

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Was responding to the OP. I thought the concern was that the OP's dog would impregnate the neighbor's dog. I worked for a vet for five years and we never once warned anyone that their dog could still be fertile at any time after a neuter. Anything is possible, I suppose.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Summarizing:
1. A neutered male can have sex and tie (!) for his entire life. Whether he wants to is truly up to the individual,not experience or timing :)
2. If you just had you male neutered a week ago, you might want to wait a little longer before he can play with anyone. In any case, you can call your vet and ask when he can play, and if he can impregnate. Regardless of capability, he Will attempt to have sex with a female in heat. Assume otherwise, and you may get a lesson in the birds and the bees.... like I did when my neutered dog was 8 yo !!!

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I've heard of it - in dogs recently castrated.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Buddy is neutered & he still humps Josefina, but he doesn't get 'excited' when he does it, I have always wondered a dogs reason for humping.
Dogs can hump out of excitement (maybe dominance too? idk) and I don't think it's in any way sexual. Sydney sometimes humps while playing with other dogs and has been known to hump other dogs when they are getting attention from me. It's not something we encourage but it happens. And she's a female dog. ;p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts