Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering what the opinions are of folks who are savoy with training think about the following question:

Do you think that a training class in a room of approx 20' by 30' with 10 dogs ranging from German Sheps to a Maltese is too small?

We are all beginners and some of the dog owners are more dog savoy then others.

Yesterday was my 2nd class. I just felt that yesterday was not a good class. We (my dog and I) could not get into a rhythm. The trainer would say to all of us heel and we would all walk in a circle. But inevitablly, I would have to stop after a few feet because the person and dog ahead of us would stop or have a problem. It was a mess.

Maybe its just me, but I felt like a sardine and I wasted $150. Next week we learn the "down" position.......ill keep you posted.......

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Our training floor is 35' x 40' and it can get a little tight when the class is full. (10 dogs)

Best advice I can give you is to not do anything that you think is going to stress your dog out. Even if that means skipping an exercise (like the heeling) or staying all the way in the corner.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
If I had that space and that many dogs, I'd be dividing the group in two and having one group work on feeding/treating on mats/downstays around the outer edge and the other group heeling- and I'd probably divide it by size. For future reference? Just pass on the inside if someone stops or slows down. Heeling slowly is infinitely harder than heeling fast.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
That's a little tight for moving exercises and as others said, don't be afraid to make your own path. The underlying, single biggest thing to keep in mind is that no matter what the exercise (whether moving or standing still) is the attention. It's not so much the moving forward, sideways or anything else...it's about keeping your dogs focus.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes, SO HERE IS THE MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION HOW DO I GET THE DOG TO FOCUS ON ME AND NOT ON EVERTHING ELSE GOING ON AROUND?????????????

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Start at home, where there are less distractions.

Hold a treat in front of your eyes. When she looks up at it, click (if you use a clicker) and treat. Repeat several times over several days.

Eventually you can hold the treat lower, say watch me, and the dog will "get it" that she needs to be looking up at your eyes. Reward unsolicited eye contact as well.

In training class, use the best treats you have, whatever makes the dog nuts.. cheese, hot dogs, etc.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
yes, SO HERE IS THE MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION HOW DO I GET THE DOG TO FOCUS ON ME AND NOT ON EVERTHING ELSE GOING ON AROUND?????????????

You teach the dog what you want him/her to do in the face of a small distraction, then a medium distraction, then a large distraction...ie; is a quick glance at the distraction OK if he/she then immediately looks back at you or; is even looking at the distraction totally unacceptable?

You have taught your dog a bridge word or you use a clicker?....something that tells the dog they just did something right? That's the essence of training...telling your dog they did something right. Unfortunately, most people think training is always just telling the dog they did something wrong.

Attention training is not easy.....it takes lots and lots of practice so, don't get discouraged....the payoff is enormous!

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Do you mean to ask if the room is too small? I think it doesn't matter the size of the room, the number of dogs is too many.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts