Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
:eek::eek::eek: There's got to be a law against that. I can't even imagine what I'd do to the neighbor who did that to my dog.
holy cow! why didn't you call the police!!!???
There are laws against it and my parents did call the police. Our neighbors ended up going to court and being ordered not to own a dog for a set number of years. There was no financial compensation that we could get because, at the end of it, we weren't out anything. The only damage we had was to the lock on the front door, which there wasn't enough physical evidence to link it to them.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
As a neighbor, I'd be annoyed by that added expectation.
I agree. I don't always mow my lawn on a set schedule. Some times I come home and go, "Well, the lawn is long today, let's just mow it." I don't want to take the time to figure out if the neighbor's dog is outside, knock on the neighbor's door and let them know I'm going to be mowing, wait until the dog is inside, then mow. Also, what do I do if no one answers the door and the dog is still outside. I'm not going to wait until tomorrow to mow my lawn. It may rain, or I may be busy, or I may not be in the mood tomorrow, or whatever.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Sheeeesh! I'm sooo glad I have the neighbors I do! Not to say that my dogs have never bothered them with barking when I wasn't at home - on the contrary! BUT, the neighbor was kind enough to approach me in a very civil way about it & bring it to my attention. After that, the dogs are kept indoors when I'm at work, for the most part. They are very understanding & have told me they're more than willing to compromise & don't mind the dogs barking once in awhile. Now that Georgies no longer with us, DJ's not such a barker at all, so I do leave him in the dog run outdoors, but not all day long while I'm at work. Luckily I'm able to go home at some time during the day to either put him out, or take him in.

OP, if it's not possible to build a higher fence (very expensive I would think!) or keep them crated indoors, I would seriously think about a shaded outdoor run. Are you able to run home to check on them during the day?
I guess it all depends on what kind of neighbors you have in your new home. Like I said, I've been lucky enough to live by animal lovers.

·
Registered
111 Posts
As a neighbor, I'd be annoyed by that added expectation.

We have a neigbor where his dog goes nuts with a lawnmover too. When he moved in he came around to all the neigbors and asked if we could let him know if were going to mow our lawn if we saw the dog out. Most of us have done this and it seems a better solution then the person not letting us know and risking getting the dog hurt becuase he is trying to get out of his yard, and possibly hurting a person. What if this was a mentaly challagned child would you be as annoyed with that expectation then??

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
We have a neigbor where his dog goes nuts with a lawnmover too. When he moved in he came around to all the neigbors and asked if we could let him know if were going to mow our lawn if we saw the dog out. Most of us have done this and it seems a better solution then the person not letting us know and risking getting the dog hurt becuase he is trying to get out of his yard, and possibly hurting a person. What if this was a mentaly challagned child would you be as annoyed with that expectation then??
What do you do if the neighbor isn't home?

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
All I can say is that I am glad I live in the country and have few neighbors.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts