Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:clap2:

I really want to throw a party now! :)

Have any of you ever had a neighbor that just refused to use a leash? One of those neighbors that just tosses the dog outside (unattended) to go potty and they let it back in whenever??? (and I do not mean in a fenced in yard - They have NO fence at all and the dog wanders) That fairly sums up my neighbor...

I have reported them to Animal Control a few times now and know for sure that they have been fined in the past but some fools NEVER learn... :frusty:

They tossed fido out around 11:00 last night and it bit the 'good' neighbor across the street as she got home from work and got out of her car. The Police were called and the dog was impounded. Hopefully these people will get fined more severely now.

There have been PLENTY of times in the past that I have helped round up a neighbors dog that got loose on 'accident' but with these people it is never an accident. They simply toss fido out when it is time to go and pay no attention to him chasing cars, joggers, or damaging other peoples property (digging up flower beds).

I don't blame the dog here - I blame the idiot owners that refused to use a leash and common sence.

Glad the 'good neighbor' was not really hurt from the bite but VERY glad that these other people lost their dog as a result. This had been a problem for a long while now and these people were not changing their habits even after being fined a few times in the past...

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Sadly, the dog has a bite record now and it won't bode well for the dog :( While your neighbours are idiots, I certainly don't see this as a cause for celebration.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Well the celebration is probably not due to the dog's problem, but I think a celebration at the possible neighbors program being disrupted for a while is/could be in order. The dog was in all probability history eventually hit by car or whatever bad luck was gonna end his stay on earth. He already had his share of bad luck being owned by the jerks. This way maybe at least the jerk has some bad karma coming to smack him/them.

I would almost bet that the jerk will have a new dog down the road and do the same thing. DG you got to keep us informed please.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Yeah, no. While we have had issues in the past with our neighbors not leashing their dog and him attacking ours, I don't wish for any thing bad to happen to the dog. Or the next dog they would replace him with should something happen.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Yeah, no. While we have had issues in the past with our neighbors not leashing their dog and him attacking ours, I don't wish for any thing bad to happen to the dog. Or the next dog they would replace him with should something happen.
This :/ The people are jackasses and deserve whatever fines they get, but it's the DOG who's really going to pay for this in the end. I don't find anything good about this.

·
Banned
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the celebration is probably not due to the dog's problem, but I think a celebration at the possible neighbors program being disrupted for a while is/could be in order. The dog was in all probability history eventually hit by car or whatever bad luck was gonna end his stay on earth. He already had his share of bad luck being owned by the jerks. This way maybe at least the jerk has some bad karma coming to smack him/them.

I would almost bet that the jerk will have a new dog down the road and do the same thing. DG you got to keep us informed please.
I can't count how many times I have seen these people toss the dog out in the morning and watch it chase the schoolbus down the road...

I saw it run up barking and growling to a jogger one time and it 'almost' got sprayed with mace. (The kids that live there were outside during this incident and saw that the dog was about to get sprayed so they came and got it)

I HAVE talked to the husband/father over there a couple of times about this dog in the past. IMO - He is the only one out of the bunch with any common sence. Dog is NEVER running loose when the husband is home but he owns his own business and works a LOT so he is not around much. When that guy is not around - The other family members could care less and just toss the dog out. :(

I think it would have been a good pet if the owners just bothered to take the time. Sadly some people just do not seem to care about their animals.

·
Registered
188 Posts
You really wouldnt like where I live. Most of the dogs here are treated like that. they are put out without a leash, their owners dont even call for them after awhile. I havnt seen one hurt anyone yet but im sure there has been times. we HAD a dog control, but from what I heard too many owners complained about there animals being put down for no reason, it was there own fault because they never claimed the dog or even put tags on them.
My aunts dog bites off his leash and comes on my porch when its way too cold outside for him, so i let him in and put a blanket on the floor for him. he doesnt have tags but i did save him one time while the dog catcher came around.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Yes, we've been here 40 years moved out of Chicago area and I could not believe the amount of loose dogs farmers had in area. I'll bet the 1st 5 years we lived here we would get 5 to 10 calls a year from people thinking the loose dog they saw was from us. They just did not understand the concept of a kennel , that it meant dogs were kenneled not running loose.

It has changed for the better.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
The last place we lived was like this. It was a little tiny country town in southern KY that was nothing but farms, and people NEVER leashed their dogs. One wandered into our yard one day and was mauled by Charlotte after it tried to attack Marlin. Nothing serious came out of it, but it all could have been prevented had the owner just kept the dog to it's own property.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Yes ... what is up with the loose dogs who live on farms? The dairy farm down the road from me, approximately 2 miles always have their Labs running loose. They have one of each color. I have seen those dogs stop traffic while they just slowly crossed the road. I have also seen an old Poodle looking dog who can hardly do anything but waddle across the road come from there. I know the farm owns tons of land but I cannot see how it gives you legal rights to having loose dogs. They are going to cause a bad accident someday IMO. We have leash and license laws here. ???

It is really too bad for the dog who got picked up and has a bite history though. :( I wouldn't doubt it will just be replaced and the story begins again. :(

·
Registered
462 Posts
The poor dog will probably be destroyed now. No cause for celebration there. The idiots may just get another dog. I have had neighbors like this. They had a fenced backyard but tossed their intact male dogs out the front door to crap in someone else's yard. The dogs growled at me several times. Poor things...it wasn't their fault. I simply returned what the neighbor's dog had left in our yard in a lit paper bag on his porch. Message received.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I keep my one dog on a long lead in the front of my apartment, and the other puppy isn't leashed (she hasn't quite gotten use to it yet, I can hardly walk her on one, she will not poop or pee on one). I sit outside with them while they sniff around and do their business. Today, I had a massive pitbull wander up to us. I've never grabbed my dogs so quickly and hightailed into my house in my life. About an hour later we are outside and it happens again, this time with a giant rottie. Neither seemed aggressive but it still makes me nervous. People let their dogs roam around here like it's no big deal, I hate it. I want to start carrying mace with me when I'm walking them.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Yes ... what is up with the loose dogs who live on farms? The dairy farm down the road from me, approximately 2 miles always have their Labs running loose. They have one of each color. I have seen those dogs stop traffic while they just slowly crossed the road. I have also seen an old Poodle looking dog who can hardly do anything but waddle across the road come from there. I know the farm owns tons of land but I cannot see how it gives you legal rights to having loose dogs. They are going to cause a bad accident someday IMO. We have leash and license laws here. ???

It is really too bad for the dog who got picked up and has a bite history though. :( I wouldn't doubt it will just be replaced and the story begins again. :(
Normally, leash laws don't pertain to rural areas. Where I'm from in KY, the only area in the whole county that has a leash law is the tiny town.

Having loose farm dogs that stay on the property, and out of the road I don't have a problem with. Its the ones that go on to other peoples property and harass their livestock and cause damage that are the issue.

My dogs were/are free roaming farm dogs (exept for Bryna, 'cause she's a whimp), and we've never had a problem. Then again, they were taught boundaries, kinda like with the electric fence, exept there wasn't one. Out of 6 dogs I've owned in my life, 2 were killed by cars. Neither were in the road, either. My dog Rosie would sit at the end of the driveway waiting for us to get off the bus, when one day some jerkhole decided to swerve off the road and hit her for no good reason. She was about 10ft from the edge. The other was hit in our own driveway that we shared with a neighbor. His new bride hated dogs, and she decided to speed up and hit her as she was walking from the garage with my dad. Heartless. :(

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
My neighbors always let their Chihuahua's run loose. They would chase cars- Bones and Halo. I would complain but they didn't care because they thought it was cute. One day a little bit ago their Chi chased a Mack truck. Unfortunately for the Chi it was no match and he ended up being painted into the road. While I feel bad for the dog- the woman was mad at the Mack truck driver and had the audacity to complain in front of me. My response was "unfortunately for the dog his owner was an idiot." It honestly felt a little good to see her reaction. Sorry but สมน้ำหน้า!

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
The poor dog will probably be destroyed now. No cause for celebration there. The idiots may just get another dog. I have had neighbors like this. They had a fenced backyard but tossed their intact male dogs out the front door to crap in someone else's yard. The dogs growled at me several times. Poor things...it wasn't their fault. I simply returned what the neighbor's dog had left in our yard in a lit paper bag on his porch. Message received.
Around here that would get you arrested for arson, you could have caused serious damage or loss of life.

To the OP, this is not a cause for celebration at all, the dog is the one that will pay the price. I'm sure the neighbors will have a new one soon and the drama will continue.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My next door neighbours have 3 dogs and a cat, all allowed to roam free. My yard was always full of crap before I ever had a dog. It still is. I pick up my dog's crap, but always end up stepping in theirs.

We live in a medium sized sort of town 3k pop. They're the only ones I know of who do this. Their cat also came into our yard and bit my son when he was petting it. (I have no idea whether my son was a little rough or not...sometimes he over-hugs, but on my property that shouldn't matter) Funny thing is that I babysat my Mom's dogs once for a week or so and one day we went in to the city for a Dr's appt and somehow they got out (it was either the AC window, or they slipped out behind one of the kids before we left and I didn't see). One of them was picked up by someone and brought to the pound, while they other one hung out in my yard and the neighbour across the street put water out for her. It cost me $35 to get that dog out of the pound and after the first incident the fees only go up. If a dog is caught at large 3X in one year, the town has a right to rehome it or PTS. I have no idea how these 3 dogs are still here. I'd be dropping them at the pound myself, but I know the neighbours would know I did it. They're otherwise friendly people and I don't want to completely kill my relationship with the people I have to share a property line with.

·
Registered
252 Posts
We have naughty neighbors, too. Their lab is outside all the time and has a barking issue. We have never said anything to them, nor would we, because neither of us like starting trouble.

As for being excited the dog is gone- I feel bad for the dog. He just wasn't managed properly. Not ever biter has to be put down.

The neighbors will probably just get another dog.

When I lived in WV, we had neighbors that had a GSD puppy and kept it behind an electric fence. This was years ago. Spring in WV is the equivelant of monsoon season in other areas and it rained for like five days and nights and there was flooding in some areas.

The puppy was never let inside the house (I have no idea how it survived winter that year). He turned from a cute puppy into a semi-aggressive, shy dog that probably could have been a biter. They went away one weekend and the fence failed and the puppy escaped and no one could catch him.

He got hit by a car and there was nothing we could do. The people weren't home. We didn't know how to reach them and as far as we could tell, no "dog walker" was hired, because there was a giant bowl of food and a bucket of water set outside his dog house. We didn't have enough money to pay for the medical bills in their stead, and the dog was humanely put down.

The neighbors got another dog right after that.

Some people just see dogs as lawn ornaments and not living, breathing beings that require love and attention.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts