Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading the recent thread about the double merles got me wondering...

My sister is looking in to adopting a 2nd Siberian Husky, and this time wants to get an all white pup. Never having seen an all white Husky, and not knowing anything about breeding - is that a natural color for the breed? Or does that come about from irresponsible breeding?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
The 'all white' coloring of dogs can be created in numerous different ways, genetically.

The all white in Huskies (and my understanding is that it is a known and natural color) is most commonly an extremely light cream . . . so light that the cream is indescernable and the dog looks white. This means the dog is truly fully pigmented and that is a good thing - healthy.

This is the same for White Shepherds, and American Eskimo dogs etc.

The white of the white Boxers and Dalmations and some other "extreme piebald" breeds is caused differently. It comes from the white spotting gene - which disallows pigment. In this case the white is the 'absence' of pigment, and that can have health consequences.

SOB

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Everything SOB said about it being a known and natural color in huskies is right and is no indication of bad breeding.

I find it odd that you've never seen one o.o they're actually fairly common.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the answers!

I find it odd that you've never seen one o.o they're actually fairly common.
Not sure why, but I don't come across too many huskies where I live (Kansas City). That might be because the summers can get pretty intense here.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The 'all white' coloring of dogs can be created in numerous different ways, genetically.

The all white in Huskies (and my understanding is that it is a known and natural color) is most commonly an extremely light cream . . . so light that the cream is indescernable and the dog looks white. This means the dog is truly fully pigmented and that is a good thing - healthy.

This is the same for White Shepherds, and American Eskimo dogs etc.

The white of the white Boxers and Dalmations and some other "extreme piebald" breeds is caused differently. It comes from the white spotting gene - which disallows pigment. In this case the white is the 'absence' of pigment, and that can have health consequences.

SOB
Interesting. I always believed that the all white shephards was a big no-no for the breed--I believe I was told that when I was much younger, but don't recall the specifics. Is that not true?

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Interesting. I always believed that the all white shephards was a big no-no for the breed--I believe I was told that when I was much younger, but don't recall the specifics. Is that not true?
It is CURRENTLY a DQ for showing, however there is a campaign for them to be allowed in the conformation ring as there is no adverse effect to health or working ability.

White (Albino) Dobermans on the other hand are a HUGE NO NO,as Albanism causes huge problems with sight.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
**deleted*** ah carla beat me to it

No health issues with white GSD ....just can't show them AKC or register them
White GSD breed clubs have their own showes

I grew up in a White GSD home...all our dogs were white...no issues
they were all workign dogs...SAR

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
U
Thanks for the answers!

Not sure why, but I don't come across too many huskies where I live (Kansas City). That might be because the summers can get pretty intense here.
Huskies can do pretty well in heat ( I know -tons- of people in Florida that own them for example) :). During the summers they just have to in air conditioning and given lots of water. They tend to act a lot more sluggish in wamrer weather. Could just be your area though as well :).

I'd be more concerned with the temperament of the pup then the colors though as that is also extremely important.

·
Registered
334 Posts
It is CURRENTLY a DQ for showing, however there is a campaign for them to be allowed in the conformation ring as there is no adverse effect to health or working ability.

White (Albino) Dobermans on the other hand are a HUGE NO NO,as Albanism causes huge problems with sight.
Thanks for enlightening me! I always wondered about that! Good to know! (and thanks to you too, pugmom!)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
**deleted*** ah carla beat me to it

No health issues with white GSD ....just can't show them AKC or register them
White GSD breed clubs have their own showes

I grew up in a White GSD home...all our dogs were white...no issues
they were all workign dogs...SAR
Isn't that just the US? I thought you could show white GSDs in other countries.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Isn't that just the US? I thought you could show white GSDs in other countries.
well the AKC is the American Kennel Club so yes that is the USA
I think there are some clubs/registries that will allow white coats but you wont win in the ring because it considered undesirable

I think they can participate in sports competitions in AKC and CKC ...just not conformation? I could be remembering this wrong though

Its been awhile since I was involved so I'm not up on the most current rules

1 - 11 of 11 Posts