Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 month old Cocker Spaniel female puppy (spayed) who has recently started being very aggressive towards other dogs. She is the sweetest puppy but for some reason she attacks other dogs. Here's the basics:

This happens both on and off leash. She will quickly go up to another dog, regardless of size. They will sniff each other for a couple seconds and then within a fraction of a second it's full-on attack, lunging, teeth bared, biting, barking, etc. Its very tramatic and embarrassing.

I have no idea why this is happening. She goes to a doggie day care everyday where she is with other puppies all day. The staff there swears she does not exhibit that behavior at the school. All they say is she plays constantly and is the leader of the class but never gets into fights or become aggressive.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Something they may do at your daycare that you can do as well is when she's meeting other dogs for the first time is make sure she's sniffing rears and not faces. I've found when dogs are first greeting each other this will help them to not feel as threatened and not feel as though their space bubble has been invaded. I'm not an expert but I hope this helps a little!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Maybe she's resource guarding you from other dogs. You're not at daycare, so that's why it doesn't happen there. I would make sure you keep her on leash for now, so you can prevent injury to another dog and read this. It's a good explanation of RG and how to treat it.

Something they may do at your daycare that you can do as well is when she's meeting other dogs for the first time is make sure she's sniffing rears and not faces. I've found when dogs are first greeting each other this will help them to not feel as threatened and not feel as though their space bubble has been invaded. I'm not an expert but I hope this helps a little!
This is a good point. Even dogs who love other dogs find face to face greetings threatening.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts