Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a two and a half year old BullMastiff named Jack. He's always been on the thin side, weighing around 45-50 lbs. He's been wormed recently and found no worms in his stool. I'm looking for a dog food that will help him put on the weight he needs. Right now he is eating Ol' Roy Adult Formula. He despretly needs to put on weight. At this age he should be ranging in between 100-130 lbs. Any Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Definitely get him on a better food. Ol' Roy is almost pure corn, which simply goes in, then comes out the other end. Here's another kibble rating site to help you. Pick a kibble that rates at least 4 stars. http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/dry/. These foods may be more expensive, but you can feed less of it, b/c it's more nutrient dense; in fact, if you overfeed a good food, it can cause diahrrea. Whatever you switch to, so it slowly (at least 2 weeks), or it can cause some serious tummy upset.

If you're on a budget, you may want to check out Tractor Supply's 4Health brand. It's very economical, and while it isn't the very best food, it's decent and MUCH better than Ol' Roy!

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Yikes! Get him off the Ol' Roy asap. As already posted, check out the dogfoodadvisor website and looks at 4-5 star foods.

If you're interested in raw, it can be quite cheap. Premade raw is very expensive but you can do it yourself for really cheap. I feed both cats and both dogs (1oo lbs total) for about $60 a month.
Raw Feeding FAQ
The Many Myths of Raw Feeding
Getting Started

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Unless he is currently at the brink of death at 50 pounds he will never reach 100 pounds just so you know. Don't go by what the breed is "supposed" to weigh to judge an individual dog.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was able to get a family member to stop feeding a low end brand. Since they are on a budget I suggested Pure Balance by Ol Roy. Not the best but it got 3 and a half stars on dogfoodadvisor.com. The chicken one goes for a little over a dollar a pound. Nutrisource and Merrick's Whole Earth Farms selection seems to be another fairly cheap food with decent ingredients. http://www.petsitusa.com/blog/?p=5059 I would check out that site if you decide to try out 4health as they are made by diamond. It has a list of which of the 4health was supposed to be removed from stores and which are safe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts