Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking for an additional family pet. We currently have a male Yorkie who is 5 1/2 years old who has been fixed. My husband is almost 40 and I am almost 30, so we are pretty active. I stay at home with my boys, so the dog would hardly ever be left alone, except at night when it will be either crated or put into the laundry room with the Yorkie. We live in a neighborhood right on the lake, but we have over an acre of lot that we own, and we have a medium sized fenced in back yard for free play. Our Yorkie is hardly ever on a leash, as he never roams away nor chase the squirrels that run from tree to tree. Our neighbors have dogs also, a collie and a weiner dog. We live off the main street and our house is the only one located on this street, so it is somewhat private. We live in Southern Indiana so we get both cold and hot weather. We also have a 2 1/2 year old and a 4 year old, who both are very gentle with our Yorkie. They enjoy throwing the ball for him, but we are looking for more of a dog that they can really play with and grow up with. We would prefer a dog that's not too big, maybe a medium size dog. I also have two stepdaughters that visit often that are 13, so we need a dog that can withstand new people and lots of loud, playful fun. We would like a dog that can live in our home, but that is has a low shed quality, as we all suffer from some degree of allergies, and my husband dresses up for work. I grew up with Australian Shephards and my family has some and we love the fact that the boys can "wrestle" with them, play fetch with them, etc and the dogs love it, but you can sit and watch their hair float through the air. I will be getting whatever breed we choose fixed, if case that makes a difference. If you need any more information, please feel free to ask. Basically I'm asking for the perfect dog, low shedding, not a yapper, great with kids and other dogs, super fun loving playful dog. I would also like one that is easier to train as I don't want my youngest to always be playing in puppy poo. Our Yorkie is puppy pad trained at night and outside trained during the day. I've looked on the internet a little before finding this site, and a Whippet or American Bulldog looks like they have the characteristics that we are looking for, but I'm not sure. Thanks for any help!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never really thought about a poodle. I always assumed that they were mean, yappy little ankle biters. Of course I guess the same could be said about a Yorkie lol.

·
Registered
107 Posts
How about a LABRADOODLE?? They're a mix between a lab and a poodle. They're fun, low/no shed (mostly), loving, gentle. The nicest mutt you can find!

·
Super Moderator
11,444 Posts
I've never really thought about a poodle. I always assumed that they were mean, yappy little ankle biters. Of course I guess the same could be said about a Yorkie lol.
That's probably not a fair generalization of toy or miniature poodles, but the suggestion was for a standard poodle. This is a large, energetic, athletic dog and most of the ones I've met have been wonderful dogs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are they hard to upkeep? I will of course research before purchasing one, but does anyone has any personal experience with keeping up with their grooming needs?

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
standard poodles are amazing dogs. Sounds like it might be a real good option for you. Spend time socializing your dog when it is young so that people coming into your home are no issue for it.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I only hear great things about Poodles from anyone who owns one. They are very smart, eager to learn, and lovely dogs all around.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
A mean, yappy little ankle biter who is a Poodle, is either a poorly bred product of a puppymill or byb, OR, has an owner who shouldn't have a dog.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
A Standard Poodle seems to fit your criteria perfectly. Miniature Poodles might be a little more lapdog than you'd like, but Standard Poodles are exceedingly intelligent, and very athletic, sporty dogs. (They were bred to retrieve, after all.) They're also known to be excellent with kids.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have to agree with others on the Standard Poodle. My trainer has Poodles (all sizes) and they are incredible dogs. Super smart, loyal, and trainable. She uses her Poodles (small and Standards) for demonstrations in obedience while teaching us certain things in class and I could watch her dogs all day. I have a Boxer but would love to have a Poodle too after getting to know the breed better. Not all standards are huge. I have seen some in the 50 lb range, which is not too big, but still sturdy.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I agree with the others that I was thinking Standard Poodle when reading the original post. If you can deal with the grooming requirements, that is. I was surprised to read you were interested in a whippet...sighthounds are generally dogs that need to be kept on leashes or behind fences. Sighthounds tend to have an...um....unique personality. For the most part, they aren't real "doggy" type dogs. I love that about sighthounds, but some folks don't. Whippets are one of the more hardier sighthounds with a bit more playful temperament than some of the others...less aloofness, I think.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Standard Poodles are great dogs. They aren't what I would call medium sized, though (the one I know is about the size of a Doberman or large Labrador). Their grooming isn't cheap either - expect to pay around $70 every month for a groomer to clip your dog for you. The expense would be enough for me to learn how to do it myself.

Have you looked into Portuguese Water Dogs at all? They are great dogs as well and I don't believe they shed. Definitally a medium sized dog, great with kids, rough and tumble, very smart, loves water, and very athletic.
http://www.pwdca.org/breed/FAQs.html

·
Registered
487 Posts
Wheaten terriers are extremely playful and affectionate but they are also bouncy. (They jump up and down a lot.)
If you can tolerate a little shedding, I think Cavalier King Charles Spaniels are the perfect dog. They shed less than any other Spaniel. My CKC Spaniel mix barely sheds at all. It's extremely minimal shedding.

---
Just want to add that I have allergies (I get shots, take an anti-hist/decongestant) and am fine with my CKC Spaniel mix. I think it's mostly a misconception that if a dog sheds, it will be worse for allergy sufferers than a dog that doesn't shed. The primary problem with any dog is that it tracks lots of dirt and allergens inside from outside. If you do a decent job cleaning your place, it probably won't make a difference if the dog is a low to medium shedder like the CKC S or a non-shedder. (I've never had a heavy shedder; so I don't know about that.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts