Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am a new puppy owner who is feeling way in over her head and came across this forum and thought I would join.

Piper is my 11 week old chocolate labradoodle. I've had her for a week now and absolutely love her, but I'm almost sick with anxiety and feeling overwhelmed most of the time with her.

I am a single woman with no kids who has wanted a dog her entire life. I have put a lot of time and effort into research and was SURE I had everything covered and considered when I got her. A week in, I find myself second guessing if I can even do this.

I am crate training, and she sleeps in it through the night without any problems, I let her out twice during the night and put her right back in and she never makes a fuss until about 630 when she's ready to get up. She's never messed in her crate and she's having very few accidents in the house. All in all, I think she's a great puppy, I know I'm the issue here.

I don't have a fenced in yard, so it's been a challenge to tire her out on a leash until she's old enough to have all of her vaccinations and go to the park.

I also have some weird hours at work and will sometimes work from 8pm - 6am. I go home twice to let her out, but I feel guilty putting her in her crate in the mornings so I can sleep after my shift. I feel like I'm worrying about her constantly, I want her to be happy and a well adjusted dog and I feel like I may mess that up.

We've signed up for Puppy pre-school socialization classes and attended our first one yesterday. She did really well and I felt good about it.

Intellectually, I know she's a good dog and that she'll be fine crated. Emotionally, I'm a wreck thinking I'm not doing things right and that I'm not following all of the things i've seen on the dog whisperer and that I'm going to ruin my dog.

This will get better right? Any advice would be appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
It will pass, as time goes by your confidence will grow, in yourself, and in your dog and it will start getting easier.
It sounds like you are making all the right choices and doing right by your puppy, and that's all anyone could ask for. These things take time. And raising a puppy is the hardest part about having a dog! Just remember that you will get an awesome friend out of it in the end.

Nearly every great dog owner has been through the emotional melt down stage, so you're not alone :D

·
Registered
891 Posts
It will pass, as time goes by your confidence will grow, in yourself, and in your dog and it will start getting easier.
It sounds like you are making all the right choices and doing right by your puppy, and that's all anyone could ask for. These things take time. And raising a puppy is the hardest part about having a dog! Just remember that you will get an awesome friend out of it in the end.

Nearly every great dog owner has been through the emotional melt down stage, so you're not alone :D
ITA with all of this, esp. the melt down stage, lol. I was very nervous that I'd do something to "ruin" Molly and I was so afraid to let her out of my sight that I was exhausted, emotionally & physically, about a week in, like you. As I gained confidence in my abilities to handle raising a pup, basic obedience training helped enormously with this, things calmed down & I settled into a routine with her. If you haven't already, try starting basic training with her. There are some great stickies to help you get started in the Training Forum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts