Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i've always wormed my dogs ona full everything wormer every 8 weeks...someone has just told me that you're meant to do it every 4 weeks...i rang my vet and he said 8 weeks is good...

what do you guys do?

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
It would depend on the lifestyle of the dog and where they live, I'd imagine. Some situations would be more 'high risk' of worms than others.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Wow that's a lot! I've always been told it's twice a year for adult dogs! and once every month for six months for puppies but I think you can do with less.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I deworm mine twice a year. I grabe a tube of Safe-Guard horse wormer and that's what they get. Their Hworm also helps prevent the baddies...

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Mine are tested at their annual visits. I haven't had a problem since I've had these 2. And they go to the dog park on a regular basis when the weather permits.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Cracker's HW meds take care of most of the worm types she may get in our area. It's only for six months of the year..so I watch her the rest of the year and if I see issues developing in her bm's I get it tested.
My vet was never one to deworm routinely unless there was an infestation.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Lets face it a dewormer is a poison, not to be used at your own discretion. That is what stool samples are brought to the Vet for.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow because where ilive in australia, to do any kind of dog training at a club, your dog must be wormed every 3 months or it's not allowed to join

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
wow because where ilive in australia, to do any kind of dog training at a club, your dog must be wormed every 3 months or it's not allowed to join
WOW to you. :) I can't remember the last time I had to de-worm Butch & Roxxy. I think each of them were done when they were found, but I personally have not had to do it.

What is the reason for de-worming every 3 months?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
we have tape worm and hidatid (or however you spell it) tapeworm.....it's life threatening to people, so to keep it under control you must keep your dogs up to schedule

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
we have tape worm and hidatid (or however you spell it) tapeworm.....it's life threatening to people, so to keep it under control you must keep your dogs up to schedule
Works for me! I don't know that any type of worm here is life threatening to people, more the EWWW factor, like Keechak mentioned. :p

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Personal dogs,
I use Heartguard 9 months a year, 3 months no poison in system. I will worm for hooks/rounds once a year. I don't have dogs checked as worms can be in different parts of systsm and you get a negative on the worm check. Tape worming only necessary when you see segments in stools. Whip wormings are not done unless I see bad things that I don't like (white gums etc) Since I am not a Vet I would disregard everything on this reply. It's just what I do.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
we were giving iorek sentinel every month, that covers heartworm, fleas, hook worm, whip worm, and 2 types of round worms. when he was a puppy, about 5 months old, i stopped the sentinel for one month because he was sick with a cold and on antibiotics that were upsetting his tummy. he got round worms in that short time!

now that we are back home in newfoundland i don't know if i will continue with the sentinel. flea are not a problem here and heartworm was non-existent in newfoundland until a few years ago, it is very rare now. worms are not a problem either. i will probably just get his stool checked if i see a problem and then worm him then. i really don't like the idea of giving him poison all the time.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I live in an apartment complex, and the only area Donatello has to go to the bathroom in is where all the feral cats go to pee/poop... I pick up Donatello's poop all the time, but since these cats don't belong to anyone, and since the complex doesn't pick up the cat poop, there are 12 piles of cat poo to Donatello's one, and I pick his up!

There are no telling what kind of worms, diseases, sicknesses these cats carry... I was advised that de-worming him every other month was good... I'm going to try to de-worm him every two months, but I'm worried if what he might pick up in that small time-frame. I wish I could afford the good flea&tick medicine that kills worms. That'd be great.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Once a month here.With the Heartworm stuff, it kills all the other parasites as well, tapeworms, roundworms and hookworms.
..All a dog needs to do is step in poop and lick it off and there you go, its infected.Then it poops in your yard and the other dog steps in it and the cycle could get out of control, especially with 6 dogs.
Plus my dogs LOVE to find kittycrunchys outside.And they dig in the mud and eat that sometimes too.
I dont deworm after the first hard freeze, until March.then I start up again.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I worm mine when they need it. Or if I've had a recent problem. Like I went on a trip last Nov and then after the female I took showed symptoms of being wormy. I went ahead and wormed everyone since they walk and play where she goes I figure they had been exposed and would need it too. I use safeguard BTW. I only worm for tapeworm if they have and really its not been a problem, despite the little animals they like to sometime eat. Roundworm has been the main culprit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts