Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone, :wave:

Okay so heres my story...

Back in January my parents and I went to pick up my new puppy, Bella(Min Pin) up from an experienced and very good breeder. Now, this winter was jam packed full of snow and freezing weather. like normal. So when we were there meeting with the breeder and preparing all the papers and what not she told us that she never takes her dogs out, their all being paper trained/are paper trained and that it would be a very good idea not to take Bella out to go potty until it gets warmer because she'll most likely freak out and get really sick or go into shock. I knew Min Pins are not good in the winter because they have such a short coat so I was planning on buying her a really warm jacket and shovel a little pathway so she wouldnt have to be burried in the snow. But what the breeder said kinda freaked us out. We were very lucky with the paper training she was a pro immediatly. But now we've had her for two months and she will be four months old this weekend and the snow is all melted and the weather is finally getting warmer so we want to transition her to go potty outside. This is where my problem is. I've tried everything, first thing in the morning I take her out, I put her little pottypatch outside so she could she what I want her to do. She doesnt go. So I bring her in put her in her cage while I prepare her food, I feed her and then take her out again. She doesnt go. Now each time I'm out there I'm out there for about 10 min. She doesnt go. I bring her back in, put her in her cage and wait for about 10, 15 min. Try one more time, doesnt go. I'm at my wits end now! I need help!!!!! Please!!!! I want her to go potty outside I dont know what to do!!! The smell of her pottypatch no matter how often we clean it is starting to become horrid. The vet told me should would have been just fine in the snow as long as she wasnt out too long. *SIGH* I should have never paper trained or at least not so long :doh:

Please Please help me!!
Thanks!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Puppies sometimes learn to go on a particular type of surface; grass, gravel, snow, pavement, or in your case paper. I was just reading an anecdote of a similar situation on the bottom of page 5 of the free preview of The Toolbox For Building A Great Family Dog. Likewise, a trainer recently told me that it is not uncommon for winter puppies to have to be retrained to go on grass because they first learned to go on snow.

I agree with beverley's suggestion. Try moving the pottypatch outside and see if she will go on that. If she does not at first, you may have to try putting it right outside the door and then slowly move it a little each day towards where you ultimately want her to go. You'll than need to transition her off the pottypatch to going on the lawn. Take it slow and be patient. Hang in there.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
So, then, maybe this is a silly question, but where does she finally end up peeing? I mean, do you eventually give up and let her go on the paper?

Try this: instead of putting her back in the crate when she won't pee outside, tether her to you with a leash. That way, she is out and about, and may try to go to the paper (or somewhere else) and pee. When you see her looking like she's going to go, rush her back out to see if she'll go then.

She's obviously good about not peeing in her crate, which is great! But, if you tether her to you, you will be able to see her looking for a place to go, and know that it's time to rush her out. So, I'd keep trying to take her out, as you are, but instead of crating her when she doesn't go, just tether her to you. It's still confining her, so she doesn't wander off to have an accident, it's just that you'd be able to see her...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts