Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work as a vet tech so on a regular basis I get to see the bad things people do to animals, people not properly caring for them, people who plain old WON'T properly care for them, people who abuse them, etc...

I don't want to say this has hardened my heart. I still love and appreciate good owners and I love the animals, but I have learned to kinda shrug it off when a bad one comes in. Usually the other techs and I complain about it for a little and then you just have to put it out of your mind or you can't keep doing your job.

Once in awhile though one comes in that REALLY gets to me, that has me crying or so angry I can't deal with the owners.

We had one of those at work yesterday. A woman came in with a really sweet miniature schnauzer as an emergency, saying that the dog had a cut on it's neck. It did not have just a cut on it's neck! It had a rubber band around it's neck and one ear cutting about an inch and a half into the skin!

This was not a recent injury, it takes a bit of time to get that deeply into the neck, especially since some skin was growing over the rubber band. According to the owner they had even just given the dog a bath but hadn't touched it's neck because it's been acting like it didn't like it, well duh!

Then to top it off they can't afford to get it taken care of. We give them options, names of clinics that take CareCredit (we don't), a local aspca hospital, etc... Nope, not interested. Nor do they want to sign the dog over to us.

Finally they agree that they'll pay for us to sedate the dog, remove and clean the wound, and take some antibiotics. It should still heal from doing that but not nearly as well as if we had been able to suture the areas that needed it and put the dog fully under anesthesia to really clean it all out. Still, in a case like this we'll take what we can get.

How did it happen? The woman's son has some form of mental retardation and likes to dress the dog up, apparently he put the rubber band around the dog's neck. Now, I do not blame the son AT ALL. He was with the mother and was not that high functioning, I'm sure he has no idea that what he did was what hurt the dog.

The mother is another story! If you have a child with issues like that then you better be watching them darn closely with pets! Besides that, who doesn't notice a rubber band around a dog's neck and ear long enough for skin to start growing over it?!?

What really got me? Even though this dog must have been in absolutely tremendous pain he was still as sweet and loving as could be. I just hope like heck that they take proper care of the wound and actually bring him back for his re-checks.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Simple answer? You do what you need to to get the dog cared for. Then you rant and rage when the owner can't hear you. Like I'm doing here, lol! It is great to have a place of other dog lovers who can understand the anger.

The only time I couldn't deal with a client, just couldn't be nice, was a woman with a 1yr old dog with a massive abcess on it's jaw. Again, they refused to pay for it, couldn't afford it they said. Again, given options. In the end all they let us do was drain it.

None of that stopped me from putting my nice face on. The last straw was when they showed up an hour late to pick up their dog because....

They were off BUYING a new puppy! It was a little 8 week old Maltese that you know they paid at least a few hundred for, money that would have paid for proper care for the abcess! When I saw the puppy and they told me they had just bought it I had to walk away and let someone else deal with them. I was seeing red for days over that.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Min-schnauzers are such unbelievable most human like dogs, if any thing happened to both my wife and I, both my dogs would be PTS, it may sound cruel, but they will never know the type of suffering you both described.
I do not feel it will come to that, both dogs are getting up in age and I will be there for them when there time comes, and mine will not be far behind.

·
Banned
749 Posts
I would have taken the dog in a separate room from the owner then would have called the SPCA and have her arrested for animal cruelty. So her son put a rubber band on the dogs neck and likes to dress the dog up. Well they don't seem to be responsible enough that after the son undresses the dog that they don't check the dog over for anything that might be left behind on the dog.

Those people are not responsible enough to own any animal. If they don't have time enough to look the dog over then they obviously don't have enough time to take care of their own son. If the abuse like this isn't being taken care of how are they caring for the son?

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I would have taken the dog in a separate room from the owner then would have called the SPCA and have her arrested for animal cruelty. So her son put a rubber band on the dogs neck and likes to dress the dog up. Well they don't seem to be responsible enough that after the son undresses the dog that they don't check the dog over for anything that might be left behind on the dog.

Those people are not responsible enough to own any animal. If they don't have time enough to look the dog over then they obviously don't have enough time to take care of their own son. If the abuse like this isn't being taken care of how are they caring for the son?
Amen. I would be worrying for both the dog and the boy.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Easier said then done. They did take the dog in for medical care, which in most cases negates any sort of SPCA involvement. Even if they didn't want to pay initially we would have to admit that they did eventually get the wound cared for. No, they didn't do it the best way possible but it is an acceptable way. Trust me, while the vet I work for would have MUCH preferred to have it cleaned and sutured under full anesthesia she would NOT have done what we did if she didn't think it was still in the realm of acceptable care.

Do I still think they were horrible owners? Yep, that's why I'm venting here. But, the dog was not starving so they have to be providing food and water, and they did take it to a vet to get the wound cared for. Both those things mean that there is basically nothing the SPCA can do. In a society that seems to care little for animals it's a leap to say ignoring the dog means ignoring the son. In their eyes I'm sure the dog is just an animal and therefore doesn't need the care a human gets (the son looked just fine).

It's frustrating, incredibly frustrating, but the only way we could have called would have been if they had just walked out and not done anything at all.

We also have no authority to remove an animal from it's owners and could get in DEEP trouble over that. Remember that legally animals are just property and keeping the dog would be considered stealing, even if it was with the dogs best interest in mind.

All in all, it's the legal issues that make situations like this intolerable.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i work as a vet tech so on a regular basis i get to see the bad things people do to animals, people not properly caring for them, people who plain old won't properly care for them, people who abuse them, etc...

I don't want to say this has hardened my heart. I still love and appreciate good owners and i love the animals, but i have learned to kinda shrug it off when a bad one comes in. Usually the other techs and i complain about it for a little and then you just have to put it out of your mind or you can't keep doing your job.

Once in awhile though one comes in that really gets to me, that has me crying or so angry i can't deal with the owners.

We had one of those at work yesterday. A woman came in with a really sweet miniature schnauzer as an emergency, saying that the dog had a cut on it's neck. It did not have just a cut on it's neck! It had a rubber band around it's neck and one ear cutting about an inch and a half into the skin!

This was not a recent injury, it takes a bit of time to get that deeply into the neck, especially since some skin was growing over the rubber band. According to the owner they had even just given the dog a bath but hadn't touched it's neck because it's been acting like it didn't like it, well duh!

Then to top it off they can't afford to get it taken care of. We give them options, names of clinics that take carecredit (we don't), a local aspca hospital, etc... Nope, not interested. Nor do they want to sign the dog over to us.

Finally they agree that they'll pay for us to sedate the dog, remove and clean the wound, and take some antibiotics. It should still heal from doing that but not nearly as well as if we had been able to suture the areas that needed it and put the dog fully under anesthesia to really clean it all out. Still, in a case like this we'll take what we can get.

How did it happen? The woman's son has some form of mental retardation and likes to dress the dog up, apparently he put the rubber band around the dog's neck. Now, i do not blame the son at all. He was with the mother and was not that high functioning, i'm sure he has no idea that what he did was what hurt the dog.

The mother is another story! If you have a child with issues like that then you better be watching them darn closely with pets! Besides that, who doesn't notice a rubber band around a dog's neck and ear long enough for skin to start growing over it?!?

What really got me? Even though this dog must have been in absolutely tremendous pain he was still as sweet and loving as could be. I just hope like heck that they take proper care of the wound and actually bring him back for his re-checks.
i give you alot of credit! I could never do your job-i'd be crying all the time!!!! I was going to go to school to be a vet tech-there's no way i could ever do what you do with out wanting to keep all those animals--i already have 5 & i'm only allowd 2 in the city i live in. I'm sorry you have to deal with such ignoramma's that are in this world!! I pray for people like that, well actually i pray for the animals! You've got me crying right now! Take care & good luck! jACKIE'S GIVING YOU A BIG SMILE

Attachments

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Simple answer? You do what you need to to get the dog cared for. Then you rant and rage when the owner can't hear you. Like I'm doing here, lol! It is great to have a place of other dog lovers who can understand the anger.

The only time I couldn't deal with a client, just couldn't be nice, was a woman with a 1yr old dog with a massive abcess on it's jaw. Again, they refused to pay for it, couldn't afford it they said. Again, given options. In the end all they let us do was drain it.

None of that stopped me from putting my nice face on. The last straw was when they showed up an hour late to pick up their dog because....

They were off BUYING a new puppy! It was a little 8 week old Maltese that you know they paid at least a few hundred for, money that would have paid for proper care for the abcess! When I saw the puppy and they told me they had just bought it I had to walk away and let someone else deal with them. I was seeing red for days over that.
I think I would've given them an EARFUL for that and charged them A LOT extra for being cheap ass neglectful bastards.

I applaud you for your composure.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i think i would've given them an earful for that and charged them a lot extra for being cheap ass neglectful bastards.

I applaud you for your composure.
people should be checked out before being able to buy a pet--like at shelters. Although i understand that there are millions of cats & dogs that need homes. But that there, buying a puppy
what the *%$#? They're head is obviously not screwed on properly!!! I have 5 pets & i'll tell you one thing, they will eat, get medical care, & anything else they need 1st, before my myself!
I can always get fed at my folks house, or my sisters. What i'm saying is, my babies come first!

i would have such a hard time just being like...*runs out door with dog and is never seen again*
i'm with you on that! Right behnd ya!

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I have always suggested that parents and pet owners should be licensed (and have to pass a test) before being either.

We can all say what you should have done, or say what we would do, but here is the rub. You don't own the clinic and you work for someone else. People can be idiots and many should not have pets of any kind. Tell a client what you REALLY think and you may be out of work.

Honestly, while the son may like to dress the dog up and the dog tolerates it, IMO unless the Mother and Father are willing to be in the room and keep an eye on sonny boy and dog EVERYTIME and ALL THE TIME they are togehter, then they should NOT have a dog, cat or any other pets.

Children with learning disabilities are a full time job (depending on level of disability). This woman has a HUGE amount on her plate. A dog is just too much on her plate.

As to the owner with the Maltese.. there are NO words.

One time, a few years back, I was in my Vet's clinic having something done on one of the cats (they have me assist with my own animals and I was back in the pre op/post op area). In one of the cages was a pretty little long haired black dog with a white spot on her chest.. You know the kind of dog.. they are everywhere. She was in the cage passed out with an IV drip.

I asked her story.
They said she was a dog that lived tied to a dog house. It was high summer and VERY hot. The owner saw the dog out back staggering around and they brought her to the vet not knowing what the issue was.

The vet asked questions and the dog was diagnosed as suffering from one of two posibilities:

1.) Rabies (dog was unvaccinated)

2.) Had not been given water and became severly dehydrated. When water was given the dog's brain swelled and the pressure had caused the symptoms.

They decided to give the dog 24 hours on steroids and fluids and then, if not better, PTS the dog and send a brain sample off to the lab for rabies testing. My vets were doing this on THEIR dime. The owner had not signed over, but with Rabies possible the dog was going no where.

A few weeks later I was back in there and I asked about the dog. She had been PTS'd because she never woke up.. and she was negative for rabies (they sent the sample, but the dogs brain showed evidence of it not being rabies).

In this case, the vets did call the local Humane society and they did press charges of neglect. They were ready to testify. This was just soooo aggregious to them.. to let a dog be tied on a chain to a dog house with no water in 100 plus degree heat.

I never heard anything beyond that.

This is why, when I have an extra $10 I drop it to this clinic when I bring my animals in. They have given me breaks and they have taken it on the chin for the sake of an animal. No vet can do a lot of that.. especially in these economic times and with the cost of vet school.. but these guys do it. Sometimes.

I drive almost 40 miles one way for my animals to be their patients.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i have always suggested that parents and pet owners should be licensed (and have to pass a test) before being either.

We can all say what you should have done, or say what we would do, but here is the rub. You don't own the clinic and you work for someone else. People can be idiots and many should not have pets of any kind. Tell a client what you really think and you may be out of work.

Honestly, while the son may like to dress the dog up and the dog tolerates it, imo unless the mother and father are willing to be in the room and keep an eye on sonny boy and dog everytime and all the time they are togehter, then they should not have a dog, cat or any other pets.

Children with learning disabilities are a full time job (depending on level of disability). This woman has a huge amount on her plate. A dog is just too much on her plate.

As to the owner with the maltese.. There are no words.

One time, a few years back, i was in my vet's clinic having something done on one of the cats (they have me assist with my own animals and i was back in the pre op/post op area). In one of the cages was a pretty little long haired black dog with a white spot on her chest.. You know the kind of dog.. They are everywhere. She was in the cage passed out with an iv drip.

I asked her story.
They said she was a dog that lived tied to a dog house. It was high summer and very hot. The owner saw the dog out back staggering around and they brought her to the vet not knowing what the issue was.

The vet asked questions and the dog was diagnosed as suffering from one of two posibilities:

1.) rabies (dog was unvaccinated)

2.) had not been given water and became severly dehydrated. When water was given the dog's brain swelled and the pressure had caused the symptoms.

They decided to give the dog 24 hours on steroids and fluids and then, if not better, pts the dog and send a brain sample off to the lab for rabies testing. My vets were doing this on their dime. The owner had not signed over, but with rabies possible the dog was going no where.

A few weeks later i was back in there and i asked about the dog. She had been pts'd because she never woke up.. And she was negative for rabies (they sent the sample, but the dogs brain showed evidence of it not being rabies).

In this case, the vets did call the local humane society and they did press charges of neglect. They were ready to testify. This was just soooo aggregious to them.. To let a dog be tied on a chain to a dog house with no water in 100 plus degree heat.

I never heard anything beyond that.

This is why, when i have an extra $10 i drop it to this clinic when i bring my animals in. They have given me breaks and they have taken it on the chin for the sake of an animal. No vet can do a lot of that.. Especially in these economic times and with the cost of vet school.. But these guys do it. Sometimes.

I drive almost 40 miles one way for my animals to be their patients.
you are absolutely right! I will always donate $ when it comes to helping 4 legged loved ones!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts