Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Montreal, where it gets pretty cold. Today it is -20 without windchill, and so I wasn't really planning on taking Meeko out for very long. I bundled him up in his coat and boots and took him out for a pee. When I went to put him back inside so I could go and pick up treats and toys from a pet supply store that is maybe a 10 minute walk away from my home, Meeko refused to go inside. He LOVES walks and playing in the snow, and the cold didn't seem to bother him, so I figured I might as well take him with me to the pet store.

So we're just walking, minding ourselves, when a woman approaches me to tell me off about letting my dog out in this weather?!?! She told me a small dog like him should not be outside in this weather and that I was abusing him?! I felt like smacking her over her face! Meeko was NOT cold! He was running around, frolicking in the snow; not shivering, begging to be picked up??

Anyway, I just needed to rant. JUST BECAUSE A DOG IS SMALL IT DOES NOT MEAN THAT THE DOG CANNOT HANDLE THE WEATHER. I obviously would have taken Meeko back home right away if I noticed that he was too cold! Ughh :mad:

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Re: Need to vent: Woman telling me off for walking my dog when it is "too cold"

So he had on a coat and boots? I'd consider the source and not let that lady get to you. Life's too short to worry about someone's opinion that doesn't matter. I would've smiled and told her he enjoyed the weather and kept walking.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Yeah he was wearing his coat and boots lol. He was rolling around in the snow by himself... like, I'm pretty sure a dog that is cold would not be putting more cold stuff on themselves -___-

·
Registered
359 Posts

I'd tell her to take a picture and report him if she wanted to. Just so she could waste her time and not gain any success.

·
Registered
933 Posts

I'd tell her to take a picture and report him if she wanted to. Just so she could waste her time and not gain any success.
sounds like something I would say....lol...Even without a coat to wear, I swear my Bambi would spend all day and night outside, snow or no snow, if I let her.. Once outside she prefers to be outside, as long as someone is with her and its not pouring rain.. Dycen on the other hand Hates the cold, for him it is usually go out pee/poo and right back inside... Riley, take it or leave it, as is his philosophy for everything, except soda bottles, he loves his soda bottles and food.. Jojo I haven't figured out yet..

·
Registered
1,563 Posts

Don't you just feel like sometimes you're surrounded by idiots? I had one of those days earlier this week. I feel for you.
Erryday, especially regarding dogs.

OP, don't sweat the small stuff.

·
Registered
96 Posts

I guess I am a little different. My guess is that she was just an uninformed dog lover who was worried for your dog. I would have tried to educate her by basically telling her what you told us? Maybe added that you were prepared and if he got cold you would place him under your own coat also?

·
Super Moderator
11,727 Posts

I guess I am a little different. My guess is that she was just an uninformed dog lover who was worried for your dog. I would have tried to educate her by basically telling her what you told us? Maybe added that you were prepared and if he got cold you would place him under your own coat also?
^ This.

People with different opinions seem stupid. Usually they are not. The woman felt passionately that it was too cold for your dog. At least she cared enough to speak up - even if she was wrong.

How many people just choose to keep quiet, even when they think something is wrong?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts

Point taken.

I will argue that if the woman was truly trying to help, starting with an accusation of abuse is the wrong way to show you care.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts

I want pictures of this dog in his coat and booties....

·
Registered
10,837 Posts

One of our neighbors (with whom we are friendly) remarked that Jack had been outside for a long time and it's so cold.. so I yelled "Jack is Norwegian! He laughs at your puny winter!" Worked for us.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts

XD (words)

·
Registered
3,193 Posts

I once took a dog hiking on a pretty warm day. On the way back from the hike, I stopped to grab a cord for a cell phone at a cellphone shop. I was gone for less than 60 seconds, my car was running with the A/C on high, my car doors were locked, and the store had an all-glass front so I could see my dog the entire 60 seconds I was gone. When I came out of the store, a man just started letting me have it for killing my dog.

I thanked him for caring about dogs and explained that we had just finished a hike (an that was why my dog was panting) and showed him that the AC was on full blast. He apologized. I told him that he didn't have to because I could see what the situation looked like and why he reached the conclusion he did. It ended up being very friendly.

Really, it did look like I was frying my dog.

People mean well, but some often go about things with a little too much passion and a bit too little information.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts

This reminds me of an anecdote from when I was a teenager - I had a pet iguana, it was summer, and other than the bedrooms, the house didn't have a/c. My mother kept nagging me that it was too hot upstairs for the iguana, blah blah, and I kept telling her that it's an IGUANA, it's from a hot climate, it's fine. Finally to end the nagging I put Fluffy in his plastic travel tank and put him in my bedroom... from which he promptly escaped. My mother spent the next week terrified that the iguana was going to jump out at her from somewhere. SERVED HER RIGHT!! (The iguana was later found hanging from my clothes in the closet, and eventually died of some iguana disease, despite veterinary care) The moral of the story is if you don't mind your own business about the temperature and someone else's pet, you may have to live in fear of being attacked by an iguana. The end.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts

Wow! Your nice to your dog. My chihuahuas run out without their coats on when I go out to feed the horses. Way I look at it if they were cold they would not come out or go stand by the door. Nope they are out there running around playing in the barn, hay and out in the dry lot while I am feeding the horses. They do all this bare-naked with just the fur they have on.

OP- if you were to stop walking your dog, your dog would give you a stronger tongue lashing then that lady did. Just a concerned citizen looking out for your dog, but I can bet your dog gave that nosy walker the paw while you were not looking.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Yeah I'm sure she acted out of compassion. I don't think people would stop to tell you that just to spite you... but she didn't need to go out and call me an animal abuser. I told her he's not cold and that he's wearing his coat and boots, but she said something like, "I wouldn't let MY dog go out in this weather" -___-

ThoseWordsAtBest, that's too funny! My sister and I joke that Meeko thinks he's a yeti because he often grows little icicles on his chin haha ^_^

trainingjunkie, I can see myself reacting similarly in that situation. I don't usually go and yell at people off the bat though. I have waited by the car until the owner came back in situations like that, and I have even called the cops on people who have left their dog in their cars for more than half an hour, but obviously you weren't abusing your dog like the other situations lol.

Hambonez, I should just tell the lady next time that she's just looking to have an iguana jump at her face :pound:

luv mi pets, to be honest I don't even think he needs the coat lol I take him out without his coat for pee and poop breaks and he does fine. He runs around like a little maniac, jumping into snow banks lol. I just put it on him *in case* since we were going a little further away from home.

For those of you who were wondering about how Meeko was dressed and behaving:

http://youtu.be/LlDcAzSl24w

·
Registered
67 Posts

I agree that the best thing to do is calmly educate. I sadly admit though, that I would probably have said "bite me" without even bothering to look around. Bad Alfy!

·
Registered
109 Posts

My wife just had a similar exchange with a stranger during a walk. She was furious and you better believe I heard about it for what felt like hours. :)

I'm with the others who say that generally the person giving the "advice" is just trying to help. Many times they just don't go about it in the most pleasant or adult way.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts

Dogs like Jack can survive a winter a hell of a lot colder than Michigan. I also roll my eyes at the "If you're cold, the dog is cold!" posts that float around social media this time of year even though they mean well and do apply to a lot of situations but.. pretty sure I would not personally choose to lay in a 3 foot snow pile and refuse to come in like Jack does.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts