Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What do you think? Sorry so long but arrrgghghhghghghghghghghgghhg:mad:

I just need to vent. One of my neighbors whom I have known for years has owned two dogs, a sheltie and a collie, and both are not neutered as well and have loads of personality issues. She got the sheltie because she used to have one, and got it from a breeder who kept it penned up because it was killing chickens its first year. (and now she wonders why oh why it won't come up to her husband at all and cowers...) the other dog constantly fights with it as the collie is dominant but cowers around people as well.

NOW because both dogs are unsocial, she gets two baby sheltie males, brothers about 3 months, and plans to get "rid" of the other two dogs and wants to breed these two dogs as they get older. I keep trying to get her to neuter them (I got certificates for the surgery and know the vets who do it as they are great) but doesn't understand why the other dogs are the way they are. (oneof the babies kept trying to mount me and she didn't even recognize this behavior, i told the dog no mounting my arm and gently pushed him saying no and she looked suprised and said is that is what he is doing?? he's too young she gasps) She keeps her dogs outdoors during the day with no toys, free run which the collie beats up the sheltie and I am afaid for the puppies till she gets "RID" of the other dogs as she puts it. when my husband and i were leaving for a weekend she volunteered to watch our dogs...(we said umm..NO) which I don't trust her at all. Her collie tries to get too dominant at times with one of our dogs and when together I supervise very very carefully. (my dogs do love to play with them and I feel bad for these dogs.) There is no doghouse for them outside except they go underneath the shed to cool down, this is alabama and it gets hot. the water, she leaves out in the sun and she feeds them leftovers filled with grease in her cooking pans. (Literaly once I saw the grease piled to 3 inches..yuck...) with leftover ham, veggies, greased with butter and everything....not good for the dogs.) she tries to help me save by trying to persude me to buy the dog food at the dollar general store, their brand!! not that I am knocking down dollar general...but come on.

(before she got the first sheltie she is getting rid of, she did have an old sheltie female who was 9 I believe when she got the collie, she wasn't spayed and she ended up dying horribly. my neighbor says she was acting weird for weeks (of course no vet) and ended up dying by spasing and bleeding from I believe her genitals or anus...which was irresponsible to have a unspayed older female with a young not neutered collie. she may have been pregnant and died horribly I suspect with problems.)

Is is advisible to keep TWO unneutered males together for breeding purposes?? She really doesn't understand the whole science behind breeding and wants to do it cause puppies are "cute" and stuff. of course she has two younger daughters who are watching this and learning from this experience. Her two other dogs have such horrible personality problems it is gonna be hard to find homes for them. they have no toys, stuck in a backyard all day with no soicalization, etc....) I am at least trying to get her to neuter one of them. (she doesn't understand the correlation between neutering and that in itself can curb but not rid alot of problems she has with dogs fighing and such...)

Now i see her kids running up and down the street with the baby shelties in a doll carriage full speed...sigh...to me they are learning that dogs are TOYS and not animals. she thinks this is cute and told me the dog actualy begs to go inside the baby carriage now because the dog "LOVES" it. alrighty then.

more than anything, I needed to vent. unfortunatly we all know there is not much we can do in situations like this but it makes me mad.

I really need to know about keeping the two male dogs together though, as they get older i am afraid they will start to fight (and she doesn't train very well...) and so on. arghghghghghhgghghgh:mad:

Pictures are off the puppies btw and the other two unwanted poor dogs..i feel so bad for them.

Attachments

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
There is no doghouse for them outside except they go underneath the shed to cool down, this is alabama and it gets hot. the water, she leaves out in the sun and she feeds them leftovers filled with grease in her cooking pans. (Literaly once I saw the grease piled to 3 inches..yuck...) with leftover ham, veggies, greased with butter and everything....not good for the dogs.)

In my State she woud be charged with animal cruelty for failure to provide adequate shelter and the dogs would be removed. No idea what your State has for laws on this. Most require dedicated shelter (dog house etc.).

The only other thing I can say is that by feeding that stuff as leftovers to her dogs, you know what she is eating and it has "Heart Disease" written all over it.

I have nothing else to offer.. all this is not good... as you are noticing. No one should breed dogs for cuteness.. but there are a lot of other threads on this.

Someone who does not provide dedicated shelter to their dogs is likely not going to listen to most of the good, logical, arguments or reasoning against breeding.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yah, I am gonna talk to her about the shelter thing, besides the dog issue she is a sweet person and I have known her for some time. I have been "preaching" to her about her dogs for quite some time and no change. she does love her dogs, just doesn't have the "common sense" behind the whole thing about dog ownership and it angers me. (she isn't the brightest bulb in the bunch...)

I just needed some place to vent about this, argh, being a dog lover and everything as well, sigh....

if only my little monsters knew just how lucky they are.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts