Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

im not sure if this is the right place for this, but this is actually for me.

I noticed a tick on my back a was finally able to pull it off after some stretching fiasco.

area seems a little swollen, but after doing some research, now im paranoid.

if i goto my local doctor i suspect that they wouldn't really know what to do. So my question is what kinda doctor is there to goto for something like a tick bite?

sorry if this is wrong place to put this.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Have a friend check it to see if you got the head out. Or did you check the tick after removing to make sure it was in one piece? If so, I'd clean it thoroughly. The worry with ticks, is Lyme disease. If you notice a red "bullseye" type mark on your body (usually stomach), then see a DR. A regular family DR will know about Lyme disease. Lyme disease left untreated can cause sore joints, heart issues, fevers, lack of energy, autoimmune issues. Treatment is usually antibiotics.
If you didn't get the head, and it is buried in your skin, then you need to see a DR to remove it. Infection and Lyme disease are what you'd be concerned about.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Some doctors will prophylactically treat with antibiotics after a tick bite, others wait for symptoms of Lyme (bullseye mark, joint pain, fatigue). Do you have a family member who could look at it to make sure you got the whole tick out and the area is clean? I'd start there, apply some antibiotic ointment, call your doctor to see what they advise re: lyme treatment.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
A lot of people never get the bulls eye rash. I'd insist on prophylactic treatment if I lived in an area where Lyme is common. (I do, the OP may not.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts