Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone so Blanco now hates bulldogs. We we're at the dog park and he is so dog friendly, never a fighter. Blanco is a chow/ pit mix and still has all his equipment ( not fixed) which I'm sure contributes to his, I'm the shit attitude lol. He anyway there is a bull dog, Max, he also thinks he is the man and was going over to all these dogs acting dominant, trying to hump, playing a bit too rough, being a jerk basically. He meets Blanco, tries to jump on Blanco, uh-oh! Blanco needs to get power back tries to jump on him, back and forth for a bit, then fight time. Blanco gets on top of him, but doesn't seem to be biting to hurt or anything, just mouthing, dominance type of thing. He had much oppurtunity to really BITE the dog, but didn't, at least not a break the skin bite.

Max's owner didn't blame Blanco because I'm sure they know Max is annoying. We made a concious effort OBVIOUSLY to keep Blanco away from Max. These damn people are not watching Max at all and let him wander over about 9000 times, so ends up Blanco runs over and gets on top of him again ( I didn't feel bad that time lol). Nelson ( my b.f) pulls him off and he tries to go after another bulldog standing there , lol he will take ANY bulldog at this point!!!

Next time we go to the park, another bulldog with these two girls named Tank , he was so sweet! We tells them Blanco is being a jerk to bulldogs and it was so sad because Tank wanted to be friends and Blancos growling at him when he comes over. Nelson had him on the leash and was trying to socialize them ( the girls were nice enough to let us use Tank) even though he kept coming over anyway.

Basically Blanco hates any bulldog now and it is annoying because Blanco is a very off the leash dog, in parks ( just reg parks) and even walking sometimes. Also people on here suggested going to bully meet ups and if there is a bull dog we have to leave because we don't want an accident. Damnit Max :mad: ! How can we fix this?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
A few questions:

Why is Blanco intact? Do you plan on neutering him? If so, when? Or, why not?

Does your dog park not have rules against intact dogs coming in?

Is there no leash law in the (presumably city) parks you allow Blanco to roam in?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well he is my b/fs dog. I think he wanted to mate him, but he doesn't want to anymore so we are going to have him neutered soon.

The dogs don't have to be fixed to come in and I don't know about the law, but I see many dogs off the leash in the city walking and in the park too. There is a meetup play date coming up in that park with pit bulls and its off the leash so I'm assuming it's okay.

Blanco not being fixed doesn't have too much to do with it though, he likes all the other dogs just not bulldogs.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Blanco being continually harrassed lead to his generalizing that certain type of dog = nothing good. Getting into it with that type of dog to get him to go away lead to people getting worked up (more confirmation in Blanco's mind that type of dog = nothing good) and that type of dog going away (reinforcement). Blanco being intact likely played a part in the initial trouble as it often does.

Considering that Blanco will now go after any bulldog he sees, I would not continue taking him to the dog park. Warning bulldog owners that Blanco has a problem with bulldogs in hopes that you will be able to keep your dogs away from eachother at all times while they are roaming around off leash is risky at best. In my opinion you need to contact a qualified behaviorist to help you desensitize and counter condition Blanco, in addition to helping you socializing him properly.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya maybe we have to go to the behaviorist. But. no one got worked up we were all calm and no one was mad. We made sure to tell Blanco no. Nelson was trying to bring the other bull dog (Tank) by Blanco a lot so he could see it was fine. Blanco made a little progress, he would smell the dog for a bit ( on the leash), but then start getting a bit mad. I know avoiding the dog is an obvious option, but I don't want that I want him to tolerate the dog and not act that way.

Blanco doesn't want to murder the dog at all costs. He just wants be dominant. He won't run over to go fight the bull dog as soon as he sees him, he just doesn't want the bulldog to be smelling him. We've been in the park a few more times with bulldogs and actually with Max and he hasn't fought, but if the bulldog comes into direct contact he will fight I think. So it isn't so extreme that it's hopeless that's why I was hoping we could handle it. Blanco is very,very obedient which is also a plus.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
You made sure to tell Blanco No, but what does that mean to him? No what? No doesn't tell a dog what you want him TO DO, which leaves a lot of options open which can be just as or more undesirable than what you think you're telling them not to do. Your dog might also attach the negativity of No to the situation, ultimately making things worse.

Instead of No, I would tell your dog what to do. Give him some positive feedback and lots of it. Some people train a "Look at me" cue for situations like these. I prefer to use my dogs' names to get their attention and rely on the techniques outlined in Leslie McDevitt's book "Control Unleashed." Check that out by going here: http://www.controlunleashed.net

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks I'll check that out. When he is roaming we usually call his name and say come and sit down when he is near.

Ya we didn't use that no correctly, but at least we we're mad. The other people immediately praised and pet the dog, at least we know that is wrong lol. =)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Know that being mad, telling your dog no and witholding praise and petting still isn't fixing the problem. In fact, when my reactive dogs go off I DO praise and pet them for any inkling of their turning their attention back to me. I definitely don't get mad or waste time thinking about how "wrong" their behavior is from my perspective.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is wrong to praise your dog after they are in a fight if you need to pull them off of eachother.

Maybe if the dog just stops and comes over to u, which would rarely happen, but def not telling them good job for fighting. We weren't mad at him like, no petting tonight, we said a harsh no because he is NOT suppose to be fighting.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
It is wrong to praise your dog after they are in a fight if you need to pull them off of eachother.
I'm just wondering if you know the correct manner to separate two dogs fighting? Also, if Blanco has gotten into a fight, I'd suggest you not take him to dog parks as his aggression obviously CAN be triggered, and he cannot control it and neither can you. It may be true that it is just bulldogs now, but that aggression can easily broaden.

I'd also suggest you begin desensitizing Blanco to bulldogs on leash in a neutral area free of any other dogs. The bulldog in question should be NEUTRAL--meaning it has little interest in Blanco. One method I've seen used successfully is to use treats to help associate a positive experience with the bulldog.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm just wondering if you know the correct manner to separate two dogs fighting? Also, if Blanco has gotten into a fight, I'd suggest you not take him to dog parks as his aggression obviously CAN be triggered, and he cannot control it and neither can you. It may be true that it is just bulldogs now, but that aggression can easily broaden.

I'd also suggest you begin desensitizing Blanco to bulldogs on leash in a neutral area free of any other dogs. The bulldog in question should be NEUTRAL--meaning it has little interest in Blanco. One method I've seen used successfully is to use treats to help associate a positive experience with the bulldog.

We really don't know how to seperate dogs in a fight, it was my boyfriend who did it. He did it once with the bulldog and once when a doberman attacked Blanco. With the bulldog it was easier because Blanco was on top so he just pulled him by his neck fat because he has so much. He also did that with the doberman which was def. risky because the doberman was HUGE and on top of Blanco and def trying to hurt him. He just waited for a clear window. He got lucky with that one.

Ya thats what my boyfriend tried to do, Tank, this other bulldog was totally neautral, and his owner would have been willing to take him outside of the dog park and try it, but the treats would have helped a lot.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
You may want to make a post asking those with experience how to break up a dog fight, as I've never encountered one. I've heard the best method is to grab one of the dogs (or both, with two people) by their back legs and drag them backwards, away from the fight. You constantly walk in circles while going backwards so they can't get to you. Kind of like wheelbarrow them away from each other.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya I looked it up after u said that and thats what I found. I found this page from a dog trainer and it shows all these bites from people who did it wrong. I'm glad Nelso didn't get hurt by that Doberman he was diesel, and u know his name was Max too! Weird right..I'm glad I read this one because we think the Doberman was wearing a shock collar...it was big and thick and my friend said she saw this light on the collar change from green to red. She also said the lady was pushing a remote. I didn't see because I was preoccupied a bit lol but the article says it's very bad to use shock collars in fights because it will basically hype the dog up, think the dog it is fighting is causing the pain and then fight harder! Make a lot of sense, thanks for mentioning that.

http://leerburg.com/dogfight.htm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts