Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i have a female labrador i would like to prevent her heat cycle with mibolerone but have been calling around and cannot find a vet that will prescribe it. I know it isnt manufactored anymore but compounding pharmacies like roadrunner still make it. Anyone know where i can find a vet that does prescribe this?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Do you really need to suppress her heat cycle? Can't you just keep her away from males? Jerking her hormones around like that isn't especially healthy.

They don't have that product in the U.S. anyway so I'm not sure where to find it. There's probably a reason that vets don't want to prescribe it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well they are still readily available here in the united states by compounding pharmacies. im just having trouble finding a vet who prescribes them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mibolerone is a a fantastic compound for estrus suppression even though theres potential of side effects. Please someone help me find a vet who prescribes these instead of the warnings. i already know those things and the mibolerone is still the best option if you want to prevent heat cycle and breed in the future.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
mibolerone is a a fantastic compound for estrus suppression even though theres potential of side effects. Please someone help me find a vet who prescribes these instead of the warnings. i already know those things and the mibolerone is still the best option if you want to prevent heat cycle and breed in the future.
no one here is going to be able to help you. Don't you think there is a reson you can't find a vet?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
mibolerone is still the best option if you want to prevent heat cycle and breed in the future.
You haven't answered WHY you want to prevent her heat cycle. There's really no point in dogs (cats, yes. But their cycles are very different). The best option to prevent pregnancy and still breed in the future is keeping her away from males while she's in heat. It's really not hard.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
You haven't answered WHY you want to prevent her heat cycle. There's really no point in dogs (cats, yes. But their cycles are very different). The best option to prevent pregnancy and still breed in the future is keeping her away from males while she's in heat. It's really not hard.
where is the like button on this forum!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
id rather not have to seclude her from her male companions when i can simply give her the drops.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
So you'd rather give her something potentially dangerous than keep her away from males every once in a while?

You know, spaying would be even easier than trying to hunt down a drug no one wants to sell.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I have an unaltered female.

I would rather seclude her from her 'male companions' for a few weeks a couple of times a year rather than giver her 'drops' that will affect her hormones and possibly harm her.
I don't know about you, but I don't want any of these side effects, especially if I plan on breeding the dog later (Which I don't because I am not a responsible breeder, just a responsible pet owner) :

Increase clitoral size (treatable with medication)- so you have to give a medication to counteract a side effect of a medication. Fantastic!
Mounting other dogs - risks irritating the other dogs and causing a fight which would mean you would have to keep them separated anyway.
Vaginal discharge - Sounds messy.
Reproductive tract lesions - Bad thing if you want to breed said dog later.
Increase in oily skin and body odor - that cant be comfortable for the dog, being oily all the time.
Urinary incontinence - Once again, sounds messy.
Altered/suppressed liver function - Definitely not something I would consider risking if it was for the convenience of not having to 'seclude' my dog from other dogs.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Sounds like the OP is just lazy...wants her CAKE (unaltered female but not have to pay attention during heat cycle) AND EAT IT TOO (have puppies for no apparent reason than to have them).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
still need mibolerone despite these common answers that have been of no help and from people with no experience of use with it.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Well, it looks like this is the wrong place for you, then. We're good at handing out opinions, not drugs.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Again, it looks like you're in the wrong place. We don't have vets running around here handing out free advice willy-nilly, let alone prescribing drugs to complete strangers on the Internet.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Perhaps I'm blind, but I didn't see where you listed your location. Even if we knew how to help you we couldn't because a vet is not going to prescribe anything without seeing the pet/owner first. And I doubt very many people would be willing to travel across the country just to get med from a vet willing to prescribe it.

What reasoning did your vet give you for not wanting to prescribe the med?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
my current vet i just used once for the 3 week shots on my puppies only said he never heard of it and he only advises to keep them away from male dogs while on heat. im just gonna use this vet for the shots needed but wouldnt recommend them over any other average vet which is get u in and out as quick as possible and collect your cash and only push the products they currently have on hand

1 - 20 of 29 Posts