Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kali is 10 months old, she's a doll in the house, and is coming along really well with her obediance, and I plan to take her to classes in the upcoming month.
Though here is my problem. She is terrified of meeting people outside if she doesn't know them very well. I'd like to be able to help her feel comfortable but I"m not sure how to do it. I have several willing participants to help me, one is my neighbor's son across the street, he loves Kali and really wants her to like him.
Any tips on how to help her feel more comfortable around people? And ways to introduce her to new people?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Probably a slow exposure or desensitization would work best. You should take her to a place where there are lots of people, but stay FAR back so she only sees them from a distance where she shows no fear. At that point, do some obedience with her, speak calmly and give her some treats. Then, move a little closer and spend some time talking, doing obedience and treating. Move closer, and repeat. This kind of desensitization can take a long time, but the more you keep your dog in the "safety zone" where she's comfortable, while still moving closer to the object of fear, the more successful you'll be.

Here's a more detailed explanation of Desensitization.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I agree with the slow desensitization.

Also, perhaps if you could find a few calm people who will listen to your instructions to introduce her to in order to build up a good track record in her mind of people. The little boy across the street, for instance, could help by standing still, not looking at her and waiting for her to go to him... perhaps holding some treats out open palmed.

Just out of curiosity... well I've met Kali, but she's known me since she was a very small puppy lol... does it differ from adults to kids? Anyways, other people will be able to offer better advice. You know I'm always willing to help if I can.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips guys.
Shadowsky, I think she does a little better with adults, kids in general scare her more. I think alot of it is the way they move, and how high their voices get. A friend of mine was over tonight, she's a very jerky movement type of kid, and she talks really loud and high pitched. Coupling those with her persistance Kali can hardly stand this friend. She spooks really easy around her, and most kids.
I'll have to find an adult to try it with, then another kid, just to see what happens. I am tryig to help her feel better about people because two weekends ago Kali growled at my neighbor's son, he moved to touch her ad she spooked, but I had the leash too short in my hand, when she realized she couldn't get away she growled. It was the first time I've heard her growl at anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts