Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
I need some quick advice. I just gave my dog a doggy pop. It's a small rawhide chew (about as big around as a pencil) with a square peanut-butter top on it like a lolly-pop.

Anyway... I gave it to him looked away for a couple minutes and when I looked back it was gone. Completely gone. I expected the rawhide chew to be around for a while. I knew he would eventually pulverize it, but I definitely didn't expect him to consume it within five minutes.

Needless to say... no more treats with rawhide chews for him.

So... is this anything to be worried about? He is a 70 pound labradoodle and the chew was pretty small. He must have chewed it into pieces because he could not have swallowed it whole. My best guess is that it should move through his system, but I am concerned about it swelling up, etc.

IS there anything I should do? Feed him more to keep it moving? If I put some moist dog food with his dry, he will eat it all. I can't really get him to drink more but I can definitely get him to eat more. Or..... is it better not to feed him until it passes?

Any advice????
Thanks!
-Mike-

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
If he didn't choke on it and he seems I fine I'm sure he'll be okay. I don't feed my dog rawhide though. But my dog has swallowed large pieces of raw short beef rib backs before and he was okay.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks....

So far so good. He seems very comfortable. He had a bowel movement yesterday afternoon and again this morning, so things still seem to be moving.

Thanks to you both for your responses!
-Mike-

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All is well

Just a quick post to say that it has been about 5 days and everything seems to be moving through his system as normal.

Thanks again to those who responded
-Mike-

·
Banned
749 Posts
If you ever give your dog something to chew on again make sure it is the right size. If it was thin like a pencil that was to small for that sized dog. Lola is 10 pounds and I don't give her treats as thin as a pencil because I feel that even though she is 10 pounds that they are to thin for her even though something that thin is the right size for her.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts