Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Need some product recommendations...

497 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Spicy1_VV 
#1 ·
I'm getting ready to get my tax refund back and have a long list of things Luna needs. I'd really appreciate help trying to decide what to get!

FYI, Luna is 12 weeks old. According to the shelter, her dad was an Akita and her mom was a German Shepherd/Lab.

1) Crate. I'm currently borrowing a 42" crate, but I'm thinking she's going to need a 48" crate. Are there any brands/types that I should avoid?

2) Bed. Right now, she has a pillow but is quickly outgrowing it. I need to pick up a bed for her to lounge on in when she's out of her crate, and also one to keep in the crate. According to drsfostersmith.com, she needs a Lounging Bed. She enjoys sleeping on her back or sprawled out. Recommendations on types/sizes of beds would be appreciated.

3) Gate. We have a split entry in our house with a bunch of stairs going down into the lower level. I'm thinking it would be a good idea to get a gate that I can use into her adulthood. I'm looking at this one. (I have two cats so the cat door would definitely come in handy).

4) Grooming tools. I'm considering getting a Furminator. I'll probably pick up one for my cats, as well. I'm not sure what size I should get... and also whether it's a good idea to get one for a dog with an Akita like coat.

I'm also interested in hearing what everyone uses for training treats, toothbrush/toothpaste, and collars. Is a regular collar a good idea, or would a harness be better?

Recommendations for companies with reasonable prices, reasonable shipping charges, etc. will also be appreciated. ;)

I'm also looking for a good online site to order my TOTW food.

Sorry about all the questions. There are just a ton of products out there and I'm feeling slightly overwhelmed! :eek:

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like an interesting mix.

1. There are so many different types of crates, some work better for certain dogs then others. Some are also being made cheaper now then they used to be or cheaper at certain stores. I would look into Vari Kennel, Sky Kennel and Petmate Pet Porter Deluxe. Also what are you going off of for size? As far as 42" and 48" measurements? One of the worse crates I've used is Nylabone collapsible but they discontinued those crappy things.

2. I would get a bed that fits her comfortably. That she can completely fit on is what I mean. There are a lot of choices I don't like to recommend one over the other.

3. That gate looks good to me

4. Furminators are great, I'm not sure on the Akita coat so maybe some others will know. Otherwise it is a good investment.

I use mostly verbal praise as a training reward, but some good treats are Wellness Pure Rewards. They are these little jerky like squares, all natural, meaty treats. They are small, smell good, easy to carry so good for training treats.

For a cheap priced but good quality collar I like Stillwater Kennel Supply.

I think Pet Food Direct has TOTW, a lot of members here and other forums order there and like it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.