Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I feel kind of silly posting this up but I need some support and love.
I started this January to loose 100 pounds in 2009, and so far I have done...Ok.

I have sort of fallen off the band wagon this month and just needed some support.
My start weight was 260.
My Weight today is 246.

Not too great but it's something I suppose, so starting tomorrow..well today since it's 2 AM here I am going to try my hardest. I am in Highschool, and even though I'm homeschooled I"m tired of being the fat girl, I want to take up running, do agility with my dogs and be active. I can't do that right now, at 16 my knees hurt, I loose my breath so easy and I hate it.
My Plan-

Walk my dogs everyday, twice a day if I can. I have three dogs who need to be walked badly, so why not do it? It's starting to get nice here in AK.
Exercise for 30 minutes a day at least. I have tapes and things for it.
Eat Breakfast. I'm horrible about this, I don't like getting up in the morning and I don't like to eat that early.
Watch my Calories, I'm aiming for 1500 a day.
Portion control at meals
Drink more water! At least 64 ounces a day.

One day I want to eat all organics, but right now it's just not going to happen. So I'm going to eat as good as I can. I went from drinking 2 cokes a day at least to not having a coke in 3 months. I drink diet now if I do have soda.

My brother and I are both trying hard to loose weight. He's 36 and I'm 16, but we're doing it together. He hasn't been doing so well, and I hope that if I can, it'll help him get motivated to loose weight too.
Thanks guys, I love you all so much, and I know you'll all be supportive of me and my efforts. And I want to tell everyone who is going through something similar, that we can do it! You can do anything if you try hard enough. :D

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
For long term weight loss, it's better to lose it slowly as you are implementing TRUE lifestyle changes (eating healthier, exercising more). Fast weight loss tends to be short term. So be very proud of what you've done so far!!!

I use the (free) site livestrong.com to track my food and exercise...and their forums are a wealth of information and support on nutrition and exercise. One thing I would recommend doing is making sure you are incorporating weight training to your exercise routine. Right now, the power 90 (not p90x...yet) is working really well to make sure I alternate cardio and weights every other day. I'm 1/3 of the way through a 70lb weight loss goal, having started in January.

I couldn't live without my digital food scale to help me portion everything out. I'm starting to be able to "eyeball" certain serving sizes, but I still measure/weigh everything. I also love my heart rate monitor (Polar brand) because I have a pretty accurate idea of how many calories I've burned in each exercise session (I also wear it when I take the dogs for a walk). I don't know how many calories you should be eating, but if you've set your goal to lose 1/2, 1 or 2 lbs a week and you are exercising, make sure you are eating back your calories. Not eating enough will kill your metabolism and make it harder to lose weight.

I'm 5'8", 179 and my target is 1380 calories per day. That should give me 2lbs per week weight loss (an aggressive goal). I tend to go over just a bit every day, but I know I've got some leeway since my calorie goal is pretty aggressive.

Good luck and keep up the great work! Move your body every day, eat as healthy and balanced as you can, watch your sodium intake and you will get there!

·
Registered
92 Posts
There's a free diet web site called Sparkpeople that I like. I'm not trying to lose weight, but I do have some digestive issues. They have healthy diet information for weight loss, food allergies, digestive disorders and so on. It's a free site, and I think it's pretty good. Here's the link. http://www.sparkpeople.com/

I agree that you need to incorporate weight training. Muscle weighs more than fat and burns more calories. So you want to build muscle mass while trimming the body fat. You can do it!! Be patient. In the long run, you'll keep it off better if you don't go too fast.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Losing weight isn't easy... I know, I've been there too! Like other's said it is a lifestyle change, one that's not easy. You've lost 14lbs and that is AWESOME!!

I used to work at a weight loss center and some of the keys to lose weight is portion control, eating all meals and snacks,exercise, drinking water(at least 4, 8oz glasses a day) and cut out salt. You can't cut out all sodium but as long as you don't add any extra and choose low sodium products, it's all good. Also don't deprive yourself of treats... everything in moderation :)

You can do it though!!

I'm not sure if you have them down where you are but up here we have ice cream called Skinny Cow. They are pretty darn good for being diet food! I would treat myself to those and that helped for me with some cravings.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys your all so amazing :D

Honestly this isn't really hard for me, I love to eat healthy and I love to be active it's just the little things that get me. Being motivated to do all of it is one.
But so far so good, I'm excited to be back on the band wagon and decided to take some ugly before pictures of myself, so later this year I can compare :D
My mom already told me that if I loose all 100 pounds or at least close, she'll buy me a whole new wardrobe for Christmas or whatever, depending on when I hit my goal.
I on average, when I'm doing really well will loose about 2-3 pounds a week, if I drink lots of water and stuff so that's really good.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I could use some help as well. I'm 5'5" and 150 and on me it's bad because I have a very slim frame. I'd like to lose at least 20 lbs. Since I started last week I've gained 2 lbs. My formula has been no fast food, no junk food, 30-45 minute bike ride, then 30-45 minute walk with the animals. This has worked for me in the past, but I was younger then and I'm wondering if my metabolism just doesn't work the same way.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It sounds like your doing really well Hulkamaniac. It's normal to gain a few pounds at first. I'd suggest drinking more water but other than that I hope it works out for you :D
So far today has been a good one, I over ate a little at lunch but other than that I've done really really good.

Update I guess-
I joined that awesome website PattyU put in her post. It's awesome!

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Perhaps it would be a good idea to set up some fitness goals. Maybe enter a 5K run/walk one month and sign-up for another 2 or 3 months down the road. Just so you have something to look forward to. They can be a lot of fun, especially if you have others join in. Visit active.com to find local events and plan ahead.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Curbside, I have a load of goals I want to work on.
1. I want to bike to work whenever I can during the summer.
2. I want to do agility with my dogs eventually.
3. I want to start hiking in the summer if I can.
4. I want to fit into a size 12 or under pants.
5. I want to start running everyday
God there are like eight million more reasons but those are just what come to mind. I've been thinking about this for like a year or two. And I just decided in January that I was going to do it.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I split out a pair of pants bending down the other day. I used to fit in this pair of pants. I don't know how I became a fat ass, but I'm sick of it. It was freezing yesterday so I spent 30 minutes on a stationary bike yesterday. Not sure how I'm going to pull that off today as I have about an hour and a half between me getting home and me having to be somewhere and I'd like to eat somewhere in that time period.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I've lost some weight over the last year and a half, about 50lbs or so. I've tried diets, I've tried exercising like a demon, etc. None of it worked because it was just something that I couldn't maintain in the long term. One thing that I realized is that I had to make changes in my life period, changes that I would keep for my entire lifetime. Watching every single calorie I take in is not something that I want to spend my life doing, not that there is something wrong with people who do that...its just not something that I can do over a long period of time. So I started out slow. The first thing I did before anything else is try to be more active. I concentrated on that before anything else. I got in the habit of walking everyday, of having my dogs chase me around the yard, anything that involved me getting UP and moving. If the weather was crappy, I have a treadmill (BORING!!) but I tried to make it interesting by listening to music, watching T.V., READING (that's a tad challenging and it made me a little sick to my stomach...:rolleyes:) while running on it...even singing at the top of my lungs while running. I started feeling better physically and that was enough incentive to keep going. Then I started thinking about other changes I needed to make...I cut out snacking unless it was fruit...(LOVE pineapple :D). I only eat when I'm hungry and I stop when I'm...not hungry anymore. It's a simple concept but one that is sometimes hard to follow. What followed was that my stomach started to shrink and I started laying off things that had a lot of breading in it..(hamburgers, sandwiches)...not because I didn't WANT to eat the bread but I got full after eating only half of a hamburger and I needed the protein...so now I just eat the meat without the bun. Also, I stopped eating out as much which not only saves on my wallet but also my waistline and if I DO eat out, I usually get salad. I still eat basically all the same stuff I did before but with some adjustments here and there. I don't eat out of boredom; that was a huge problem for me. I get up and do something instead; play with the dogs, clean the house, etc. As the pounds started to fall off, I got more and more encouraged. Now I'm down to my target weight of 110lbs and in a size 4 pants. I feel healthier, I don't get colds as often and I just feel better about myself. The changes I've made in my life aren't things that I have a hard time maintaining as now I have the ENERGY to get up and moving and I want to. I don't want to eat chips and crap like that for snacks (yuck) I don't even buy it anymore, instead when thinking of a snack, I think of grapes, strawberries, pineapple, cantaloupe, oranges! "Candy" to me is dried pineapple, I swear I'm addicted to that stuff. Finally, I had a TON of support from my family and friends. They always told me that "something has changed" about me or that I was looking terrific. My boyfriend was great and put no pressure on me whatsoever but every now and then I'd get that "appreciative" look. ;) I don't know, it just came down to something that I wanted to do for myself and just the sheer determination that it was going to happen because it was time to make changes. I was sick of feeling crappy physically. So the biggest thing is that I wanted it, enough to follow through with it. I just took it slow and put no pressure on myself. If it took a long time to happen, then it took a long time to happen...but I knew it would happen eventually. It took me a year and half to lose 50lbs! LOL!! In the end, just making a few lifestyle changes that were very easy for me to live with is what led to my weight loss. Oh, also, I never really weighed myself...I went by the fit of my clothes. I found the scale to be a bit...depressing...and have just now started weighing myself but only like once a week or so to make sure I don't go below 110.

What you have lost is GREAT for only having started in January. I wish you the best of luck and keep up the good work! :D Have fun picking out that new wardrobe at Christmas!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
That's great Chels, what really helped me to stop gaining weight is stopping drinking juice or soda. Even natural "healthy" juice is full of sugar and most of the time our glasses are just too full. Now I drink more water, tea or infusions.

I really liked doing the Winsor Pilates dvd, it makes you feel so strong in your core muscles! It self does not make you loose weight but it builds up muscles and more muscle mean more fat burning when exercising.

I used to use Glamour's magazine online weight loss diary, it was great because it helped calculate how many calories you burned, you ate and keep track record of your weight, etc.

It's so great that you're doing it at 16 because you have a long healthy life ahead of you !

·
Registered
404 Posts
yea your body can only lose about 2 lbs of fat per week anyway

Only drink water, milk ( usually with food tho, 2% is good)

eat clean, cook for urself as much as possible, if you must use oil, use canola or olive oil, and usually just to grease the pan.

for meats try to stay away from veal and fatty red meat
( lean cuts are good) by all means you can still have it on occasion

eat plenty of veggies, whole wheat breads instead of enriched white flour

i eat most of my carbs in the morning and then towards the night ill have less, none before i go to bed ( if you are going to lift weights, you should eat em before ur workout, dont want to workout hungry)

no sweets, chips, fast food,

and eat 5-6 small meals a day to boost your metabolism =]] and exercise

^^ more of a lifestyle change to where you are not counting calories and junk

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I currently weigh 155 and I'd love to get down to 130. Bonus points if I can hit the 120 I carried around in college, but that's a pipe dream at this point. I spent 40 minutes yesterday on the bike, I've cut out fast food completely, started packing my own lunch and my soda intake is down to one can in the AM so I figure I have plenty of time to burn it off. I just need my caffeine in the morning. Thinking of getting up an hour earlier to do some biking. Today I'm going to try a 30-40 min bike ride and then and equally long jog/run/walk with my hound.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
For the posters in this thread looking to lose a bit, you're all on the right track.

There are a couple of really important pieces of advice I can give you that can definitely help out.

1. Breakfast. Every day. No excuses. Until you eat in the morning, your metabolism sits at a rate similar to what it is while you're sleeping. If you eat a bowl of oatmeal (THE best breakfast out there for weight loss) right after you wake up, you will burn many more calories from jumpstarting your metabolism than you took in from the actual food.

2. Drink lots of water. Hydrated digestive cells absorb nutrients much better. When your digestive tract is in peak condition, you will get the maximum amount of nutrients out of the minimum amount of calories. Another benefit to water is that very commonly your body confuses thirst with hunger. It sends out impulses to eat when it really means you need to drink. You can cut this problem off if you just always stay well hydrated.

3. Complex carbs in the morning, simple sugars after activity. You want slow burning energy in the form of oatmeal or whole wheat toast for breakfast. Immediately after exercise you want a rush of protein and simple sugars to prevent catabolism of your muscle tissue. If you're on an average schedule (in bed at 9-10ish), no carbs after 5-6 pm. Carbs take a long long time to digest. If you go to sleep a few hours after that big spaghetti dinner, those noodles are going to digest slowly and throw your body into fat conservation. Carbs for breakfast and lunch, protein for dinner. This is the opposite of how most of America eats. We tend to have light lunches, non existent breakfasts and huge dinners. Reverse that. Breakfast every day, big carb lunch and light dinners focusing on lean protein.

4. Have your caffeine in the form of simple black coffee, or don't have it at all. Sodas are absolutely TERRIBLE for you. Diet is no better. Food wise, they are one of the worst possible things you can put into your system. Avoid it like the plague. If you must have caffeine, black coffee. Zero calories, zero carbs, and a good bit of antioxidants. Also a little tip in regards to timing of caffeine: drink a cup of joe about 30 minutes before your workouts. Caffeine has a well known property of shifting your metabolism into burning more fat and conserving muscle.

5. No fasting. When your body stops producing digestive enzymes for a certain period of time (specifically the ones involved in carbohydrates), your body goes into starvation mode. This means that it starts digesting it's non survival tissues (muscles) and conserving it's big bang energy tissues (fat). If you stop eating, no matter how much exercise you do you aren't going to lose any weight.

6. Smaller meals, more often. You've heard it a million times. Grazers are the people who keep the weight off. If you wait to eat a big meal later, the tendency is to overeat. Also, especially if you are not on the athletic end of exercise, but more on the weight loss end, your activity will tend to be spread out over the day (30 minute walks with the dogs a few times. taking the stairs instead of the elevator. biking to work). Thus, your food should be too.

7. Never ever ever even THINK the word diet. This is not a diet. This is a change in your lifestyle that needs to stay forever. If you find it really hard to keep a specific routine up, find something that you enjoy more. If you really hate oatmeal, don't eat it every morning. Try granola. If you really truly hate running after giving it a good try, take up swimming or biking. Everything you do must last a lifetime, treat it that way.

I'm a college swim coach, and I also train people to run triathlons, ranging from beginners to pros. I've brought dozens of people from both ends of the weight spectrum to the point where they become extremely active triathletes and sit at an ideal weight for their body size. These rules are what I make them hold to and they really do work. The most important thing is number 7: Make life changes and never say the word diet. The old maxim "diet and exercise" is a plague that has ruined many people's attempts at losing weight. Diets are not the way, lifelong changes are.

If anyone has any questions regarding this kind of thing, ask away and I'll give you the best advice I possibly can. You have set wonderful goals for yourselves and deserve it.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Chels_Girl:

Do not feel silly, (I know that's harder than it sounds.) but you know you'll find a lot of support being sent your way.

Our stories are quite similar Chels_Girl. My entire middle-school and high-school career was a constant self-esteem battle with myself... I have since graduated high-school, and even being just a year out of school, I'm still battling myself. I too am tired of being the "fat girl". I'm just five pounds over 200 and that's just too big for me. : ( It's saddening and depressing because the only thing that's stopping me from having a smoking hot body is... Motivation!

I can eat healthy and I find nothing wrong with going to a park and jogging/walking a mile or two... It's just the motivation to do it...

We'll all work on it together girl! ; ) Good luck!

·
Registered
673 Posts
always remember that 14 pounds lost is terrific!! I lost 40 lbs. almost 4 years ago and I notice that sugar is a HUGE problem and of course that's what I love most:D I started by cutting my sugar amount in half and that made a big difference. NO pop or chocolate bars, cake and all that great tasting stuff but of I course I let myself indulge once in awhile. I still eat fruit but have to watch even how much good sugars. You have done great so far!!

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Took up jogging this week. I think I gained a pound. On top of that I now have pains in muscles I never knew I had. Plus, a 15-20 minute jog/walk (which is about all I can manage) leaves me wiped for the rest of the evening. Please tell me it gets better from here.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Chels...Hey, 14 lbs ain't nothin'! Even if you just keep doing what you're doing, you'll end the year more than half way to your goal. So take credit for what you've already done! And if you step it up, a moderate weight loss of 10 lbs a month for the rest of the year puts you at a total loss of 104 lbs for the year. You can do it!

Trumpetjock - all good advice. Thank you. Q: what's wrong with diet soda? Is there something about the sweeteners that's bad or counter-productive for dieting?

If anyone is interested, I have a simple 1-page menu plan my ob/gyn gave me that makes it extremely simple to follow a 6 meal a day regimen. It's actually 3 meals + 3 snacks. She developed it working with another doctor who specializes in women's medicine and nutrition. It works as a way to eat for life because it balances proteins & carbs so that you maintain an even glucose level & never feel really hungry. I avoid diets like the plague but even I can live with this one. See the attached. It's two different plans. One is lightly higher in daily calories - you can mix and match from both sheets.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Trumpetjock - all good advice. Thank you. Q: what's wrong with diet soda? Is there something about the sweeteners that's bad or counter-productive for dieting?

Most diet sodas use aspartame (an artificial sweetener). The problem with aspartame is what it breaks down to when it is diegested. 10% of it is broken down into methanol (wood alcohol...aka POISON), which is then converted into formaldehyde or formic acid. Formaldehyde is a known carcinogen which causes retinal (vision) damage, interferes with DNA replication, and causes birth defects.

The biggest problem with aspartame is that it is deemed safe for human consumption because no long term adverse side effects were found during animal testing. However, humans lack certain key enzymes that the rodents who were tested have, which makes us much more sensitive to aspartame and its effects.

*Note that this is for aspartame sweetened diet sodas, I'm not familiar with stevia and/or sucralose...I haven't heard any terribly bad things about them, but then again I haven't done much research into those.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts