Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background information. I am 28 yrs old, in my home it is just my husband and myself (along with 2 kitties.)
All my life I've had kidney problems. Back in Oct. I had gone to the ER for a gout attack and found out my kidneys had gotten worse, and was immediately hospitalized. I was in there for 20 days, it had gotten to the point I only had 2-3 weeks to live if I didn't start dialysis (which I did)
Since leaving the hospital, I haven't been able to walk properly or even be stable on my feet, so I have been using a walker.
I also have arthritis and when I have a flare up, or even sometimes when I don't, I have trouble picking things up if I drop them. When my husband is home, he helps me, but when he is at work It is difficult for me.

In the next couple months I will be looking for a lab (or maybe something else) puppy to train myself for assistance when I have troubles.

What I want to ask is if anyone knows of any links to good sites on self training a service dog, or any good books to read, I would greatly appreciate it! Or if you have any great tips/advice on it, that would be great too!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've actually been looking at older dogs too, but so far haven't found one I've connected with or one with the right temperament/criteria that I'm looking for. It's still an open option, but leaning more towards a getting a puppy.

Thank you for the link, I will definitely look into it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, I will check out the thread.

Unless my health drastically changes again, it'll just be at home when I'm alone that I will need the help. It'll mostly just be picking things up and giving it to me if I drop stuff (which happens a lot)
I do understand that if I got a puppy the temperament when it's older isn't guaranteed. I haven't totally given up on finding an adult dog, it's just been difficult finding one I can connect with or that is even good with cats. (we have 2 so that is a major factor in the choice as well)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts