Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background information. I am 28 yrs old, in my home it is just my husband and myself (along with 2 kitties.)
All my life I've had kidney problems. Back in Oct. I had gone to the ER for a gout attack and found out my kidneys had gotten worse, and was immediately hospitalized. I was in there for 20 days, it had gotten to the point I only had 2-3 weeks to live if I didn't start dialysis (which I did)
Since leaving the hospital, I haven't been able to walk properly or even be stable on my feet, so I have been using a walker.
I also have arthritis and when I have a flare up, or even sometimes when I don't, I have trouble picking things up if I drop them. When my husband is home, he helps me, but when he is at work It is difficult for me.

In the next couple months I will be looking for a lab (or maybe something else) puppy to train myself for assistance when I have troubles.

What I want to ask is if anyone knows of any links to good sites on self training a service dog, or any good books to read, I would greatly appreciate it! Or if you have any great tips/advice on it, that would be great too!

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
there is a service dog thread, it may even be a (sticky post) you don't always have to find a puppy to train, you maybe able to locate an adult dog with the right temperament to start working with. Shelter, rescue and even a breeder of a specific breed looking to retire one of their adult dogs who have had training and handling and known temperament. YouTube video's

and these dvds. basics training by owners with disabilities training their own dogs

http://www.activedogs.com/product/89/teamwork-service-dog-training-dvd/

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've actually been looking at older dogs too, but so far haven't found one I've connected with or one with the right temperament/criteria that I'm looking for. It's still an open option, but leaning more towards a getting a puppy.

Thank you for the link, I will definitely look into it.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Service Dog thread: http://www.dogforums.com/general-dog-forum/119709-service-dog-thread.html

That thread will have lots of information from people who are very familiar with the ins and outs of services dogs, your legal rights, choosing a dog, etc.

Note that service dogs have a high wash out rate, even for dogs that were bred specifically to be service dogs. You may have trouble finding a puppy and then training it, depending on what you need it to do and be comfortable with. If its just gonna be a dog that works in your home with you, I imagine most stable dogs will probably work. But, if the dog is expected to be out in public with you and ignore multiple distractions like strangers and other dogs and weird floors and all sorts of other things, you will need to choose carefully, and if you get a puppy you don't know what their adult temperament will be like.

Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, I will check out the thread.

Unless my health drastically changes again, it'll just be at home when I'm alone that I will need the help. It'll mostly just be picking things up and giving it to me if I drop stuff (which happens a lot)
I do understand that if I got a puppy the temperament when it's older isn't guaranteed. I haven't totally given up on finding an adult dog, it's just been difficult finding one I can connect with or that is even good with cats. (we have 2 so that is a major factor in the choice as well)

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Not to beat the same drum incessantly, but...cats are another good reason to get an adult dog. Puppies will almost always seem to be fine with cats when young. But any puppy can grow up to be predatory toward cats (and other smaller mammals) even if raised with cats - many dogs have a genetic predisposition that kicks in as they mature. If you get an adult dog known to be cat-friendly, you won't have to worry about that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts