Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PLEASE, ANYONE....

i need some help from any of you who do rescue work near Sacramento, CA....my sister lives around that area and is right now going thru a messy divorce.....she has 2 dogs, a purebred spayed BC (Annie) and a BC mix neutered male (Jack)....for the past few mo they have been w/ her (soon to be) ex and have not been very well cared for....she has not been able to get them from him b/4 now (for legal reasons) but a neighbour was there and saw that they are in horrible condition (flea/tick infested, skinny, matted/unkempt coats, etc) and has managed to confiscate them....what we/she needs is someone that can take these 2 and rehome them (i'm working on getting the girl here if need be, but can't take both)...if anyone can help get these 2 away from this a$$ PLEASE let me know immed.

like i said, i'm trying to get Annie here but it may take a few days to get the money and/or transport together....but they need away from her or anyone she knows or he can have her in legal trouble that way....Annie is a tri colour about 4/5 yrs but the hard one will be Jack who is around 8-10 yrs......

PLEASE, anyone....HELP!!!!! i can get you in contact directly w/ her or my mom immediately.....

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there's gotta be someone....if we don't get these 2 moved/hidden in the next day or 2 he's gonna get them back...she already tried to get AC to help b/4 and they won't....

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I would have already been there to pick them up if I were close enough. I'm in the right state, but I'm eight hours away!

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
if they could meet you or get them there, would it help? i really don't want this a$$ to get them back again...all he wants them there for is as a "pawn" to get his girls....and i wouldn't want to leave a cockroach in this guys care....

i'm working on getting Annie here, but that may take a couple days....unless she could find a good farm out there to help out on....she has helped w/ cattle some....

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I can't meet anyone halfway because I work. But if they could somehow get here, I can take them. I don't have a job for them to do, but I have a big yard and I dog who won't mind. It's an eight hour drive, but it's only a 45 minute flight. That's wicked expensive, though.

I'm sorry I can't be more useful.

Does he have any legal right to them? ie, will the person who takes them be subjected to legal threat?

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the only real legal claim he has on them is that they are "joint property" and cannot be "disposed of" w/out each persons consent and they each get 1/2 of what they sell for....in this situation, i'm not sure how much he can do legally but i know he'll make it even more hell for my sister than he has already.....

talked more w/ my mom last night and i won't be able to bring Annie her unless i can bring Jack as well.....they had them separated for about an hr and he was just heartbroke w/out her and at his age i don't think that'd be fair/good for him.....

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I am not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV, but I would advise anyone thinking of getting involved in this to consult a lawyer beforehand. Dogs (in almost every state I'm aware of) are considered property. In this case, they're joint property which you've stated can't be disposed of without the consent of both parties. Obviously, he is not consenting. AT BEST this is interfering in a civil process and helping one party hide property and assets. This is a civil suit waiting for a place to happen and posts on this board could be used as evidence. People transporting these dogs could theoretically be sued and forced to pay the husband restitution as well as legal fees. AT WORST, this is nothing short of theft. You are stealing these dogs from someone who is legally allowed possession of them. This is obviously a criminal matter and you could end up in jail.

Again, I sympathize with the plight of the dogs here and I'm not a lawyer, but anyone considering hiding/transporting these dogs should seek legal counsel before they get involved. I'm sure this is the reason local animal control won't touch this.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hulk, i don't think there would be any legal repercussion on anyone except my sister....she, also, has legal rights to these dogs and under the circumstances, she is doing what is best for the dogs....she's not looking to make money from them, she just wants them in a safe place, as far away from this a$$ as possible.....once they are gone i doubt very much if he will even try to get them back, he doesn't want them, he just wants to hurt her and the kids anyway possible....but as long as they are w/ her or someone she knows, he will use it in the courts for the divorce crap....

these dogs are just this side of dead (probably rated, my mom thinks, about a 2 or less) they were totally flea and tick infested (took them over 4 hrs to remove ticks from them and that's w/ 2 people working on each dog, and 2 flea bathes to rid the fleas).....i think she justified in rehoming her dogs.....

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Hulk, i don't think there would be any legal repercussion on anyone except my sister....she, also, has legal rights to these dogs and under the circumstances, she is doing what is best for the dogs....she's not looking to make money from them, she just wants them in a safe place, as far away from this a$$ as possible.....once they are gone i doubt very much if he will even try to get them back, he doesn't want them, he just wants to hurt her and the kids anyway possible....but as long as they are w/ her or someone she knows, he will use it in the courts for the divorce crap....

these dogs are just this side of dead (probably rated, my mom thinks, about a 2 or less) they were totally flea and tick infested (took them over 4 hrs to remove ticks from them and that's w/ 2 people working on each dog, and 2 flea bathes to rid the fleas).....i think she justified in rehoming her dogs.....
I would disagree. Let's say I was getting divorced and owned a classic painting that was worth some money. It's community property so my wife would be entitled to half of it. I would have to either pay her half the value of the painting or sell the painting and give her half of the proceeds. Let's say I give the painting free and clear to my friend John to avoid this. Civilly, my soon to be ex can certainly come after me, but they may have recourse to go after John too, especially if he knew the reasons behind me giving him the painting. If John decided to help me out and, with my permission, stole the painting from my wife's house, criminal charges could certainly be filed regardless of what I said.

This is a sticky legal situation at best.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts