Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting a shift that goes 10PM to 6AM with a 30 minute commute on each end.

While it's longer than I'd like, I can crate the puppy ( 15 week old Cattle Dog) during this time and he seems to be fine.

However, when I get home I need to get some sleep and I can't leave him in there for obvious reasons.

I have a small backyard, but I've tried tying him up and he freaks out when I turn the corner and he's left out there - he cries, wails and screams like he's being tortured.

It seems like my only option is my porch, which is more like an extension of the house. It gets a lot of sunlight, is pretty big, and he can watch people who walk by plus it's a hangout for the cat; they get a long well. The biggest problem with this is that he isn't fully housebroken and WILL pee out there. I was wondering if the fake grass or puppy pads would be a good and sustainable option.

I can't just leave him in the house because he will destroy everything he can and will cry at my door. The porch can be puppy proof pretty well.

I know it isn't ideal, and yeah it sucks having to work. He gets plenty of exercise when I'm not working or sleeping.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Can you by a baby gate and shut him off to a room rather than him being outside? Someone could easily steal him. But while you are sleeping is there a family member or close friend you trust to come and walk him and play with him, let him out ect? Then when you get up play with him and have some bonding time?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The porch locks, so that isn't an issue. But, about the baby gate, he may be a little big for that at this point. If I knew he'd use the fake grass or pads it wouldn't be such a bad idea.

·
Registered
17,918 Posts
Can you by a baby gate and shut him off to a room rather than him being outside? Someone could easily steal him. But while you are sleeping is there a family member or close friend you trust to come and walk him and play with him, let him out ect? Then when you get up play with him and have some bonding time?
Honestly, at nearly 4 months - I think he'll adjust to your schedule. Which means, eventually, he's going to have the same basic '8 hours at work, 8 hours sleeping' time that the average dog has to be away from mom and dad. It sucks, and it's not fun, but if you REALLY give him what he needs during those other 8 hours, it should be okay. I would say, though, to NOT go to sleep as soon as you get home. Treat it like a first shift job. Do you go to bed at 7 p.m when you get home at 5:30-6? No. Then don't do it here. Really dedicate that time to living your life - and taking care of your dog. And, just like people on first shift get up and walk their dogs - get up early and walk your dog.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly, at nearly 4 months - I think he'll adjust to your schedule. Which means, eventually, he's going to have the same basic '8 hours at work, 8 hours sleeping' time that the average dog has to be away from mom and dad. It sucks, and it's not fun, but if you REALLY give him what he needs during those other 8 hours, it should be okay. I would say, though, to NOT go to sleep as soon as you get home. Treat it like a first shift job. Do you go to bed at 7 p.m when you get home at 5:30-6? No. Then don't do it here. Really dedicate that time to living your life - and taking care of your dog. And, just like people on first shift get up and walk their dogs - get up early and walk your dog.

Thanks, but I'm still not sure where to put him while I sleep. Should I just go with buying pads and putting him on the porch?

·
Registered
17,918 Posts
Thanks, but I'm still not sure where to put him while I sleep. Should I just go with buying pads and putting him on the porch?
If it's an enclosed porch that won't 'greenhouse' (get super hot) or be freezing, yeah. Otherwise - ex-pen, bathroom, or even just your bedroom where you'll hear if there's an issue. It'll take some time for both of you to work it out, but I strongly suspect it won't take long for him to be sleeping about as much as you are, while you are.

·
Registered
703 Posts
At 4 months he is going that often?

My dogs, at four months, would sleep a lot (still do), and spent a lot of time on the veranda (by choice) It is much more interesting.
They went in a specific area in the yard for them at that age, with very few accidents.

They still prefer that area for toileting. SO I bet puppy pads would work just fine.

I agree with the idea of staying up, playing with your dog, maybe even a quick walk, run your errands, then sleep.

Sending you good vibes- the overnight shift isn't for the feint of heart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts