Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She had diarrhea Thursday am and I added rice to her food Friday and Sat and the diarrhea went away. So to keep her stomach steady, I hadn't even thought about this until right now but on Sunday I gave her rice only with canned pumpkin for breakfast and dinner. Today we gave her rice for breakfast and for dinner we gave her chicken and rice. Well she hasn't pooped in 24 hours and I am now realizing that I caused this buy giving her rice only and not her regular food. I hadn't even thought about it. Of course she won't poop. Her body must be in complete shock. She is acting the same, eating, playing etc so no issue there. We get her test results tomm morning from the vet. what a moron I am. For tomm, do I go back to her reg food or what on earth do I do? She is a 5 month shihtzu. Thanks!

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I don't think her body is in complete shock :). She's probably just a bit constipated. Maybe a little more pumpkin will do the job. I probably would give her half chicken and rice and half regular food tomorrow.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I agree with willowy. Half chicken/rice half kibble. Next time diarrhea comes up I'd wait until the next bathroom break and see if it's still diarrhea or if it's just loose or normal. Puppy might have just gotten into something it shouldn't have. I had my dog on rice and chicken and sometimes he would take 36 hours to go on that food combo.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
It's not abnormal for a dog to skip a day or so of pooping after having diarrhea. She's probably fine, especially if she's acting normally otherwise.

To wit, last Thursday Kabota had diarrhea during our 5pm walk. I gave him rice with his dinner, which he threw up all over our bedroom carpet, 4x, sometime between when my husband went to bed at midnight and when I woke up at 6am. I fasted him until 6pm (he was so mad at me!) and then fed him a very small amount of rice and boiled chicken. I fed him another small portion at 10pm. I went back to regular food the next day*. He didn't poop until that night at 9. So almost 2 days of no pooping when he normally poops twice a day.

He's totally fine now.

*Kabota has a digestive tract of steel and will eat anything. When he gets sick, it's some stupid thing he snuck in during a walk. For a dog with a weaker stomach, or a dog with an infection, you need to fast longer and stick to rice and chicken longer.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts