Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[/IMG]
start out with a picture of my dog Marley, shes a 3 1/2 year old pitbull/boxer mix.

about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks ago she slid on our hard wood floor twice, one time smashing her hip pretty hard on the floor. noticed that she had some trouble walking. this happened over the 4th weekend so the vet wasnt open over the weekend so first thing that monday we took her in to get checked out. the vet took a xray and said that she had a hair line fracture in her hip. he said that it would heal its self just keep her off it as much as possible, and gave us some anti inflamitory medicine i believe. also said that she had no signs of hip disease.

well she was starting to get better, would be able to walk around (limped a little bit) would walk around the house, and do her business then back in to her bed. well saturday the 18th we were working in the garage, she came out and laid in there for about a half hour... then we walked her back into the house. next time she walked outside, she was favoring her left side... now before the problem seemed to be with the right side (the one that supposidly had the hairline). things kept getting worse, tuesday we take her back to the vets to get checked out again. this time its a different vet... he takes a xray and checks her out. moves her hips legs, pinches her feet etc... he said by the xray he cant really tell if there is a fracture if there is it isnt that bad. he gave her some shot to help with the pain and she was pretty drugged up/out the rest of the day. he tells us to give her these pain meds and steroids and we should start to see an improvment by wednesday.

well wednesday she wet her bed in the morning. i was up, tried to get her to go out but she wouldnt get up. i went to shower and when i came out she had gone all ove her bed. i asked her if she wanted to go out side and she jumped up and hobbled outside and went some more. most of the day she spent sleeping, before bed i got her to get up and go out side but she just layed down under the bushes and wouldnt go 1 or 2. about 11:30 she soiled her bed.... i asked her if she had to go out after i noticed and she hobbled to the door, went out and continued to go. got her back in and back to a clean bed.

1:30 i hear her walking on the floor downstair towards my steps, i make it to the bottom before she can come up and notice it stinks again and she is running to the door. i get her outside and she just lays in the yard. and went a little bit more on her bed and kind of rolled in it. got her bed cleaned and her as clean as i can get her for now... later on in the day i will give her a really good scrubbin.

i guess what im asking is, is this normal? part of the healing process? because of the meds shes taking? what else i can do..... anything really. my mom told me that i have to start thinking about what if there is somthing more that is wrong with her and that if she is suffering too much it might be best to put her down..... thats the LAST thing i want to do or think... any words or advice are greatly appreciated

justin

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
See about getting her spine checked out for pinched nerves/slipped discs. A lot of times a spinal injury can cause uncontrollable urination/bowel movements. Steroids can reduce immflamation and give pain relief.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
last night she had two accidents in her bed. called the vets first thing this morning, they said it was more than likely her medicine that caused the accidents. tomorrow at 7:45 i have to take her up and they are going to sedate her and run some tests and keep her most of the day. hopfully will have more information after that. i will keep posted.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Sending good thoughts to Marley.

I'll be looking forward to the update. Hoping it's something minor/easily fixable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you! havnt had any bad accidents tonight. had to clean her up a bit before bed but it was just from earlier i believe. she had the last meal for the night at 7 30. off all meds now, got her to walk outside but she just laid down and was in a lot of pain, her front legs wanted to give out. she didnt do her business, just cleaned her up and carried her in to her bed.

was a tug on the emotions luggin her 90lb body inside...

we did manage to get a urine sample, two months ago she had gotten a UTI infection, they thought it was cleared up..... want to have them check it and make sure it's not some crazy infection goin on that could be causing this.... dont know, minds racing as to what could be wrong.

ah tomorrow.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts