Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone - I'm a Newbe to this forum - but am so glad I found it!! (bear with me here...)

I have two dogs (9-yr old Lhasa and 2-yr old Tibetan Terrior/Poodle mix). I am a true dog lover to the heart. Here's my situation...

My Lhasa was hit by a car (hit an run!) on April 21st. He suffered a broken front paw, fractured pelvis and a hip out of joint (had subsequent hip surgery May 6th). I am amazed at how well he is recovering - if you'd have asked me after the accident, I would have never thought he could be up and about. He's hobbling around and getting better every day (although he will probably have a limp when all is said and done). This all happened 1 week prior to our moving into a house with a fenced in back yard (Murphy's Law)

At our old house, there was tile throughout (typical Florida home) and I could give the dogs free run of the house and just shut the bedroom doors where there was carpet. This worked really well and both my dogs adjusted just fine. My Lhasa has had free run of the house since he was trained as a puppy (minimal accidents). He's developed a terrible fear of thunderstorms and we ARE the lightening capital of the world down here - so this time of the year us usually rough on him anyways. After his accident, he's been worse and my vet has him on some meds (doggy prozak), which seem to be helping him with his anxiety, especially after his trauma.

Now, our new place is carpeted throughout and I can't leave the dogs out and have free run (they will go potty on the carpet). So, I've tried pinning them up in the kitchen/dinette area that is large and tiled - but with my older dog's anxiety - he chewed thru a wooden gate (soft wood) and tried to chew thru the other gate which was plastic. No matter where I put them, it has been awful lately (even in our bedroom) where they are most comfortable.

I'm going to have to re-crate both dogs and my question is - should I get a crate big enough for BOTH of them - or should I get individual crates? They are best buddies. I'm putting them in our bedroom with the curtains shut (helps during the storms) - but any advice I can get from you all would be much appreciated.

The dogs had to adjust to our move, and the injury for my older dog is making this much harder on him (and us!). It has been a very rough past 6 weeks for us and I'm trying to get everyone back to some normalcy and consistency.

Thanks for your kind responses!

·
Registered
521 Posts
If it were me I would get them individual crates and have them near each other. I would not want to take a chance that the older one may get reinjured with any playing. Also, if he is in pain, he may get snarky, you never know.

Are the dogs to be sealed off from the carpeted areas just when you are not home? I would try to get them house broken now that you have a fenced in yard. I would still crate them when you are not home, it is safer for them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My dogs are house trained.

The only time they have issues is at the start of rainy season here (~June 1). It takes a little while for them to adjust to the storms. When we are home, they are let out and run free in the house with no problems. When we leave, we have to crate them because of the adjustment time needed during the storms. The remainder of the year we have absolutely no house-training issues.

The new issue for us is the tile vs. the carpets. Hope that clears things up a bit. I may just crate them when we are out anyways year round. That seems to be the best way to work thru this time - I just feel bad that they had free run of the house before and now they can't.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
My dogs are house trained.
I am not trying to be mean but if your dogs are pottying on the carpet then they aren't housetrained. Or maybe they were but are acting up in the new house or with the weather.To me it sounds like a refresher course in housetraining is in order. The crates will really help with that. So will an enzyme cleaner on the places on the carpet they've soiled so they won't return to that spot to do their business. Look into "Nature's Miracle" or products like that.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
As Max said, your dogs aren't housetrained if they're peeing on the carpet. To answer the original question, I'd get two crates. Maybe if you had two puppies you might put two in one crate, but it's a highly unusual arrangement.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your advice and comments.

In all due respect to your comments, I do consider my pets potty trained as they go 10 months without any accidents - Their occasional going now is "situational" due to what's happened in our lives recently. I wouldn't say they aren't potty trained - I would say they have an adjustment to make.

But, I did decide to go with 2 crates and they are side by side. Today is the first day they will both be in them during the day, so we will see how this goes. They have plenty of toys to keep them occupied and I hope they adjust and get back on track soon.

Again, thanks for your advice/comments folks!

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Sounds like the potty issues are due to anxiety, my Pug will do the same thing when my husband first leaves on deployment.

Two crates would be better than one to protect the older, injured dog. Be sure to keep the crate a positive place for them both. you might also want ot check into the Anxiety Wrap to help your dogs. http://www.anxietywrap.com/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts