Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently the wife and I have a 4 year old Weim and a 8 year old Yorkie.

We need to switch food on the Weim from Kirkland brand and need to go with a more calorie dense food per our vets recommendations, so we have been looking at the Purina Pro Plan Sport! Went out and got a small bag of it to transition our dog over. Well she wont event touch it, she eats around it to get to her old food and leaves the new food sitting on the floor or in the bowl, if you try to hand feed her she just spits it out. The yorkie who is the picky one will actually eat the food which is weird. But looking for any advice on how to get my dog transitioned over to the new food!

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
honestly.. it's better to just find a food they willing to eat happily. I just had to switch my regular brand and I tried 3 different bags choosing the one they dove right in and empty the bowls in a matter of minutes.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I agree. The "best" food in the world isn't any good if your dog refuses to eat it, and/or doesn't do well on it.

With the caveat that I've never tried these foods myself, here are some suggestions.: Victor has a couple of foods with the same calorie count. https://www.chewy.com/victor-select-nutra-pro-active-dog/dp/129281 and https://www.chewy.com/victor-ultra-pro-42-grain-free-dry/dp/120708 This food by Strongpoint is just slightly less calorie dense. https://www.chewy.com/strongpoint-performance-plus-chicken/dp/179201 This food by Horizon is a bit less, but still over 400 calories a cup. https://www.chewy.com/horizon-complete-all-life-stages-dry/dp/113565

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The issue with the current food is she needs roughly 6 cups of food and even when doing three feedings of 2 cups she tends to get sick or throws it up etc, so the vet suggested we cut her down to 4 cups of a more calorie heavy food! I am not looking for the best food in the world just something that is roughly 400-450 calories for cup, compared to the kirkland brand which is only 336 per cup. The Pro Plan I bought is like 475 per cup but she wont touch it!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I highly recommend Annamaet Ultra for dogs who need more calorie dense food. Great food that is pretty high in calories, fat, and a good amount of protein. My dog has always done well on Annamaet and has yet to turn down any of their flavours, and she can be a picky brat sometimes. Price isn't bad either. If you email them to ask for samples they will send some too

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
All of the foods I linked are over 400 calories per cup.

I was just pointing out that any particular food, no matter how highly rated or recommend, is worthless if your dog won't eat it or doesn't do well on it. Kirkland foods are generally both highly rated and highly recommended, but since your girl isn't doing well on it, it's obviously not the best food for HER.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Currently the wife and I have a 4 year old Weim and a 8 year old Yorkie.

We need to switch food on the Weim from Kirkland brand and need to go with a more calorie dense food per our vets recommendations, so we have been looking at the Purina Pro Plan Sport! Went out and got a small bag of it to transition our dog over. Well she wont event touch it, she eats around it to get to her old food and leaves the new food sitting on the floor or in the bowl, if you try to hand feed her she just spits it out. The yorkie who is the picky one will actually eat the food which is weird. But looking for any advice on how to get my dog transitioned over to the new food!
Our dogs are eating Pro Plan Sport 30/20 Salmon Formula. They are doing great on it. It's 496 kcals/cup. It helped out Lab puppy gain weight.
We started with the Chicken PP but our dogs like the Salmon Formula much better. Maybe try that..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts