Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a pomapoo who is now 5 months. He came from the breeder on Purina Puppy Chow and I have been trying to gradually wean him off of that and onto Wellness Toy Puppy formula but he picks out the puppy chow and eats that. His big brother, my 3yr old, 96 lb lab, eats Kirklands, lamb and rice and the little guy really fights to get at the Kirkland food. I am thinking about switching to an ALS formula that they can both eat. The little guy seems to have a sensitive stomach. He gets diarrhea pretty easily. It would be easier if they both ate the same thing and if it were a quality food. I am not sure if ALS are right for tiny toy dogs (2.3lb). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Assuming the food is ALS it should be appropriate for any dog at any life stage. I can't think of any nutrients a tiny dog needs that a bigger dog doesn't. The only thing I can think of a toy food would have that another food wouldn't might be kibble size - toy food has tiny kibble and other food might not.
We feed kirkland's as well and it is a 4 star food (http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/kirkland-signature-dog-food/). I haven't read the package to see if it is "ALS" but I think it is - if it is I would switch them both to kirklands.
As for kibble size - I'd grind it up for the small dog and mix it with a bit of plain yogurt (yogurt helps firm up stools and promote intestinal health). This would provide a kind of kibble mush that would keep all the kibble/kibble dust from getting away so he could get his whole meal and eat what he likes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont know if Kirkland has an ALS but the one I have (lamb/rice)says it is for adult dogs. The kibble is small but not as small as the Wellness. Good idea about the yogurt. I have done that before for my lab and it worked wonders. Im on newly charted territory with this little guy and with him weighing only 2.3lb I get worried about what he ingests--just a little of anything can have a great affect, unlike when my lab was a puppy and he was chewing on things and eating whatever he could find and usually it didnt bother him much.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I think the chicken kind is ALS. Unless your other dog is allergic to chicken it should work.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
The problem with ALS foods for tiny dogs is the amount they need to eat. Tiny dogs have tiny tummies, if the food is too low in calories per cup then they may have trouble fitting enough food into their tummies. You could just continue to offer more meals a day for longer I suspect.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
You could just continue to offer more meals a day for longer I suspect.
This for the calories. You could also find a supplement to add to his meals if he isn't taking in enough calories to increase the density of calories in the meal until he grows a bit more so he could eat more at each meal.
Also with the kirklands - if he is eating (where as he doesn't like one of the other foods) him eating some of it is better than eating none at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts