Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife picked up a Catahoula from a rescue and have never experienced anything Like this before. about 7 or 8 months old now.. Got her at 2 Months

She is incredible smart but incredible stubborn. Something is REALLY up with her and my wife. She will not leave my wife's side.. I mean, bathroom, bed room, downstairs, kitchen. If my wife leaves through the garage, she will sit there and whimper.

She will not go outside with me or the kids. She will sit by the back door and bark/howl. She will not eat if my wife is not there with her. If I go over and pick her up, she puts both legs around my neck like a kid holding on digging her nails in my shoulder. If we are about to leave by getting ready, she goes under the bed and will not come out knowing it's crate time. I have dragged her from under the bed.. I have tried enticing her with treats.. I have tried putting treats in her crate.. she hates it.. The bed seems to be her safety area.. She has her chew ropes under there.. somehow, she went into my closet and took some shoes from my shoe rack under the bed and shredded them.

My wife loves the dog, but begs me some mornings to take her out to eat or potty but the dog will not do anything but sit at the back door with a death stare through the back door. Granted we had labs before, I have never seen a dog that would leave a food bowl. It's the weirdest thing I have every seen.. I'm definitely the firmer of the two of us but we both work with her. I have been walking with her on a leash around the neighborhood and that does seem to be getting better especially when we get around the corner but as soon as we get in the house, She tears in the door...up the stairs... and into the bed room looking for my wife.

Thoughts???

·
Registered
278 Posts
This might be a way off shoot, but maybe she senses some thing health-wise in your wife. There's been stories of dogs detecting cancer, or pregnancies, and such like that...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This might be a way off shoot, but maybe she senses some thing health-wise in your wife. There's been stories of dogs detecting cancer, or pregnancies, and such like that...
Its interesting you mention that. My wife had cancer 11 years ago but is cancer free now over 10 years. Her cat definitely felt this and did not leave her side, but that was 10 years ago when she was sick. The other factor is that we had to put my wife's Lab down about 6 months ago for old age/deteriorating health. I've always known my wife has a special connection to her animals but would not have expected this in a young puppy. It is freakish how the puppy acts around my wife or when she is not visibile. I have read a ton of stories about Catahoula's since we have gotten her and come to realize that they are really smart and require a lot of attention. We try to simulate her through lots of play time outside playing fetch and walks. She does not get tired and she does not deal with idle time well. Couple that with the attachment to my wife and I just not sure how to train her. We have gotten her a ton of chew toys including a Kong. I have no idea when or how she sneaked my nice shoes under the bed, but she has now shredded 2 pairs of my nice shoes. When you give her a treat or a bone, she goes into this new mission to hide it. She has actually dug the dirt out of indoor plants to burry it. She seems to have this psychotic mode..

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Is she generally a fearful and shy dog? My two fearful dogs chose me as the safe anchor in their lives. Everybody else is a potential dog eating monster. It took the first dog years before his tunnel vision could finally comprehend that even though I was with him in one room that another person could be in another room at the same time. His world was me and everything else appeared out of the abyss. Bucky upped that one. The new person entering his world was a dog eating monster and he screamed in terror for months when my daughter came into the room. Now he only barks a normal irritating greeting when she's been gone and usually doesn't have to bark if she was just out of the room. Usually.

Poor daughter is now a fairly safe person. I would leave her in charge when I went away for weekends and he figured out she was okay. So feeding is a big deal. If you take over the feeding that's a big deal for dogs. Since your wife has to be there then split the task. She's there but you get the bowl, measure out the food and put it down. Back away and sit facing away from her if she is wary of you being in the same room as she eats.

Never had issues with going out to potty. Perhaps have your long suffering wife take her to the door and wait there to attempt to wean her a bit? What I have always done with my young adult rescued dogs is take them out on leash to potty. Perhaps both of you go with her holding the leash then both go out but you hold the leash then have your wife hang back a step then two and so on as your pup gets more comfortable with this.

Perhaps working as a family with her will help too. A fun game is to sit in a circle with treats in your hand and call her to and fro giving her a treat when she comes. If she won't come to certain people even with that food lure then have that person sit with your wife and have her hand in that person's. You could make it even easier by praising/clicking if she looks or makes eye contact with the person calling. One person in charge of the clicker though! As the dog gets the game spread out then go out of sight and all over your property.

As for training go directly to positive techniques as if you are training a wild animal. Put her on leash and sit down. If she looks or moves toward you praise [or click] and treat. If she clearly would rather not approach you then toss the treat a bit away from you rather than hand feed.

Adolescent dogs are frustrating. I get my dogs at this stage in their lives figuring there's no where to go but up. Bucky was supposed to be 2 years old when I got him but clearly is stuck at this stage of life. I had to teach him that it was possible to lay down and rest out of his pen. Before that he would commit a minor doggy crime and have a time out. He would lay down and nap in his pen. The dog crime rate went way down after he learned to nap on his own! In his case simply getting a down worked. I sat down with him leashed and waited him out. When he lay down I clicked/praised and tossed a small treat away from him so he had to get up to get it. Rinse and repeat until my small handful of treats were gone. Repeated next day and the day after he was laying down on cue next to the other dog for treats and miracle of miracles was caught napping in the sunshine!

Also worked on relaxing with Karen Overall's Relaxation Protocol. If you've been to training class you know you gradually increase time and difficulty to get a good down stay. Well it's all written out for you here and it works. On my own I never could get my first fearful dog to be quiet when the doorbell rang. I used fancy gadgets and thought I was plenty patient but didn't get anywhere. Bucky can actually hold a down stay quietly if I walk out of sight, ring the doorbell and pretend to hold a conversation. As for the relaxing part, works as well. On walks when Bucky is frantic in a new place or after an upset I'll do a bit of it until he calms down and is as normal as he ever is.

And of course as always you have invited an animal to live with you. Manage the situation and keep doors closed, counters clear, trash put away and all that. I wouldn't drag her out from under the bed. The shoe is a done deal and you chasing her down makes it that much more valuable. It isn't a safe situation but she isn't actually going to die in 5 minutes, this isn't a life threatening emergency. For now your wife is going to have to take charge when pup finds a treasure. I run to the place treats come from calling the dog as I go. My dogs have never had things pulled away so they easily give up the treasure for a dog cookie. Once pup has figured out you are not a dog eating monster that loves to feed her treats you probably will be able to do the same - run away from dog to treats and trade treat for treasure.

Even normal dogs love to return home. Ginger's the most stable dog I've ever had and her routine as she enters the house is to run down the hall, leap over the sofa and jump into my lap to give me a kiss. She's not happy if I'm not home or in the wrong spot!

Bucky buries bones. It was too funny the first time he had a real bone. As a precaution he was penned on the patio. When he was done he scrabbled at the concrete, put the bone in the imaginary hole and buried it by pushing air over it with his nose. You would think he was having a fit if you didn't see that bone! So he is kept penned if there's a bone as a treat. When he's done then that treat goes up. Management again! And I don't grab the bone. I toss a treat away from it then put my foot on the bone or the pen wall over it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would say she is a shy/fearful puppy. When the first few months, she spent time under our kitchen table which is by the back door. She would stay under the table instead of coming outside. She really doesn't do that, but she does treat the "under bed" as her safety place. It's probably a bad thing, but we stopped crating her at night allowing her to sleep on the foot of the bed. She does pretty well there, but hops up and goes under the bed in the morning. She has never growled at me or the boys, but we have a lady that comes in once a month to clean and the dog does stand in front of my wife and growls showing her teeth. VERY protective of my wife. My wife jokes and says that "Ellie" (our old Lab) told "Louie" (the new puppy) to protect her. Reading A LOT about this breed just causes more questions as the stories are that this dog is protective and does not play well with other dogs which is ok as we don't have other dogs. The dog does get along with the Cat other than a rare playful chase across the den. Everything I read says that Catahoula's were bread to hunt Hog's in Louisiana and require a lot of stimulation. We definitely have spent more time with outdoor activities than any other dog we have had. My real question is what do we train out of the personality or can we train this out of the dog knowing the breed. We took this puppy in blindly as a wife's friend called and asked if we were interested as the owner of the mother was crippled in a car accident and was unable to to take care of the new litter. We gladly took one of the puppies prior to really understanding the breed. We do have a very large back yard but the puppy rarely explores past visible distance to my wife. I really don't think the litter was neglected other than a real lack of attention which might be part of the separation anxiety.

As you said, the shoe incidents are done.. Not really harping on that.. Definitely think the puppy does not handle idle time well...

Just looking for guidance (which you did a great job at) on what I need to be training towards..

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
It sounds like separation anxiety - specifically with your wife. Kane used to act that way with my husband. If we were all together everything was great, but if my husband would leave the house Kane would get really upset, pacing around, whining, looking terrified. If my husband left the house and took our other dog Pepper with him it was like the end of the world for Kane. We've been working on it though and he's improved a lot.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I cannot say this about other dogs but if Bucky is backing away from somebody and staying in front of me he isn't being protective, he's afraid and depending on me to keep him safe. Since possibly a bad person could be deterred from assault if Bucky growled this could count as protecting me. I guess.

Guess Bucky is better too. When I go out he will cling to my daughter now rather than put his nose in the front door's crack and wait for me there. When I'm home he alternates between supervising my activities, napping and patrolling outside looking for trouble and he doesn't do any of that when I'm gone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts