Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier this year, my mom acquired a 3 month old rottweiler/lab puppy named Gidget. She's about 7-8 months old now? Maybe 9? Anyways, since she got her, I have been pretty much the only one working with her (as well as taking care of her, lol.) She's pretty smart... a month after we got her, I had already taught her sit, lay down, stay, leave it, come. I was having a bit of trouble with getting her to always pee and poop outside. She was doing fine with it, until my mom's two small dogs (a nasty, territorial chihuahua and an older pomeranian) started to pee and poop all over the house territorialy, and this seemed to make her do it, as well.

When the weather got good, they constructed her a cable run outside that's about 30 feet long, with a freaking 3 foot plastic drainage pipe as a dog house. (I definitely did not approve of this poor excuse of a dog house, but my opinion went unheard.) She was fine out there all summer long (never touched the miserable "Dog house" for obvious reasons, and would always take her blankets out of it) but now, it's getting cold and raining.

I'm trying very hard to get her to be a suitable indoor dog before I have to move to finland, around december-february, and my problem with this is that my mom will not participate in the training, even though it is her dog. I'm worried that when I leave, she will remain outside on the cable run and in that pathetic "Dog house". (they're apparently trying to find her a dog igloo, but I know how bad they are at procrastinating.)

Gidget's problems are that when she is inside, she gets very excited, tramples the smaller dogs, and will still pee by the door. She also has a habit now of getting into stuff and tearing it to pieces. I left her outside earlier off the leash, and hours later, the front porch looked like a bear had vandalized it.

In my opinion, I really think my mom should give the dog away to someone who can give her the attention she needs (She just REALLY wants to be by people, and I'm positive this destructive behavior is from a combo of being bored and for attention.)

If anyone has any tips on how to get her to be more suitable indoors, I'd much appreciate it. Right now, I'm bringing her into my bedroom and leashing her to my bed (she can move around quite freely, and she seems quite content in here with her toys and me giving her attention) I'm hoping that will calm her down and make her more reserved in here, but she still likes to get excited when she is off the leash and rumbling around through the rest of the house.

Thanks for any help! I really want to know this dog will be in a better situation when I leave.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I say, if they are going to make her an outside dog...get her a new home now. With the right family, she will probably do well. Perhaps the other dogs cause her to get so excited. And yes, exercise a lot.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I agree that finding her a new home might be the best option. It doesn't sound as if your mom wants to participate in training. The thing is, dogs need exercise, and they need to be let out to pee/poop on a schedule, as well as lots of other things, like mental stimulation, companionship, etc. Is your mom even willing to do any of that, if you WERE able to train this dog before you leave?

I mean, the two smaller dogs she already has seem to have issues of their own, with the marking, and the one being territorial.

So, once you're gone, will your mom do any of the work to maintain what you start?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts