Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im a new dog owner i recently about 2 weeks ago got a toy american eskimo female shes 10 weeks old now, when i got her the breeder told me she was on purina softn chewy morsals. so i continued, well she started the throw up all the time, i went to the vet he gave me medicine and some wet food to sooth her belly, she vomited once on that, he said after a few days slowly start to put old food mixed in i did that she threw up the hard food again. the food comes out whole so when she throws up so i went to store bought iams smaller pieces she does ok with one meal but then throws up another, so i bought wet food cesar chicken, she does good on that no problem throwing up but on the wet food at times her stool is very wet, and one incident it came out alomost like liquid. i feel so bad for her i dont know what to do, i give her low fat plainyougurt which she loves and i hear helps. im just so lost n confused all i want is for her to b better, she always has a big appatite and is never lethargic always playing, any advice please i would appreciate it so much , thank you for taking time to read this

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Have you considered getting a second opinion from another vet? It's normal for dogs to have digestive problems when they switch between too many foods too quickly, which could explain the loose stools, but throwing up this often doesn't sound good to me. Puppies can go downhill very fast so I'd get her checked out by a different vet soon.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Ge to another vet, put puppy on a homemade BLAND diet and stick with it until things get better (stop the food hopping, it's bad for the pup)

Home-made bland diet:

1lb BOILED chicken (no bones) or BOILED hamburger meat

1 cup (dry measure) rice, boiled or steamed until done (if the pup had diarheaa use brown rice)

IF the pup had Diarheaa add 1/2c canned pumpkin (NOT pie mix)

Mix well and give 3x a day.

If the pup is vomiting, it may be best to fast for 24 hours before feeding. Just be sure the pup is getting PLENTY of fluids.

If the pup is getting dehydrated (lift skin of neck, if the skin doesn't immediatly go back where it belongs and 'stands' your pup is dehyrated) get the pup to a vet for IV or SubQ fluids IMMEDIATELY.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm also wondering if the vet maybe checked for parasites or anything else that could cause loose stools? When I got spooky he had a MAJOR infestation of Hookworms that made his stools really bad. He was also on a diet of puppy chow and cows milk, so his tummy was not in the best of shape. Has the puppy been started on her shots as well? I don't want to scare you but parvo has been a big problem where I live and if it isn't catched early in a puppy they can go downhill very fast. My neighbors puppy had it but came out fine, thankfully. although with parvo they usually get very lethargic and worse. I would defiantly get another checkup just to make sure it ain't also something else that could be causing the poor puppy from getting sick. Dehydration is a big factor as mentioned already, and I agree with the bland diet. I wouldn't keep getting different foods as that would just make the stomach problems worse. It could be many factors even food allergies or just plain stress, the only one who can tell for sure is another vets opinion.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If he checks out of with the vet, no parasites/worms I'd have to blame the food. Could be sensitive to the brand you're feeding. Would keep bland diet til settles down. Mine as a young puppy would throw up all the time. A fast eater, would eat kibble and it would come up just like it came out of the bag, never chewed. Maybe try more can wet food once better and give smaller meals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts