Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are pretty new to raising puppies
We are getting two new puppies, so we want to be ready when they come home.
When my wife and I are at work, we'll need to confine them indoors - in an exercise pen.

Does the size of the pen matter?
Should it be really small, or should there be some space for them to roam?
In the exercise pen, should I have a doggy den for each pup, or maybe one bed they both can share?

Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
My first bit of advice is to just get one puppy, wait till it's a year or two, then get a second one. There are some threads on here about the raising of littermates, read them. Even if it's two different litters, the same applies, you're looking at a lot more work and hassle to do it. I wouldn't do it and most experience people won't either!

Crate is ideal for training, the xpen is a tool for confining them to a smaller area, but it's quite easy for them to still pee in there, so ideally have them on a routine where they're crated, someone comes at noon to walk and potty them, play and feed and back in the crate till you get home.

A good hight is 3 feet, it's not too tall that you can't reach in and grab the bucket etc. but not so low that they can pop over easily. Depends on your tastes. I'd avoid the ones with built in doors simply because I know of a dog who almost lost an eye on the hook part of the door, and I find them to be a pain to open and shut.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I'm gonna assume that you're not gonna leave them unattended in an exercise pen together while you are at work. This would be an accident waiting to happen. Sorry if I misunderstood.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Most exercise pens fold and tip and collapse. Most are designed to be used with supervision. Add two dogs to the mix, and they are likely going to get knocked over. I wouldn't leave a dog in an ex-pen. I would use a crate or a kennel.

Before your pups arrive, I would research the implications of raising two dogs at once. There is a ton of information out there on this very topic. There are several problems associated with it. I would familiarize myself with those concerns so I could do the things necessary to aviod problems. Or decide to wait on the second dog.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts