Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I just found this forum, and wish I had found it for the earlier stages of training. Anyways, I have two dogs, both about 2 years old. The are half and half mixes of Westie and Pomeranian. Recently I went on vacation for a week, and had my dad stay over and watch them while I was gone. Well, to make a long story short, he didn't follow any of the instructions I gave him, and the ended up pooping and peeing all over the house. They poop more than pee as far as I know, and they think the whole house is fair game. Usually what would happen is at night they would scratch at the door or cry by the bed and I would let them out. My dad slept with the door open thinking they would just find their way out. Now that I am back, I get no scratch, no cry, just poop in the morning. What can I do here to re-housetrain them? How should I act when I wake up and find poop in the room?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You go back to housetraining 101.

No unsupervised freedom of the house.
When you can't watch them they need to be crated or confined.
Clean up all accidents with an enzyme cleaner like Natures Miracle.
Praise and treat for going in the right potty area.
When you catch them in the act, don't let them finish. Hustle them to the potty area.
Just clean up any after the fact accidents...it's too late for anything else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The best bet is to crate them when you sleep at night. They will learn how to hold it and you can set them on a schedule.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the replies. I looks like this is going to be tougher than I thought. I set my house up to where they have a small section in the laundry room with a doggy door that goes to a small section in the garage. If I blocked the doggy door that goes from the garage to the outside, would this be as effective as a crate? They don't have any history of pooping or peeing there since this is where they spend most their time during the day. Once again thank you both for the quick replies.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well the thing with crating them is that dogs usually don't pee/poop in their crate. By having them in a proper size crate (enough for them to stand, turn-around, lay-down, stretch) they shouldn't have room to put their presents. If the area/laundry is too big, they may still leave their presents on one side and sleep on the other. But give it a try and see how it goes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, thanks. I will give that a try. If anything, I can always block off one room, like just have them in the laundry room, or just in the garage section.

·
Registered
61 Posts
All I can say is... good luck! And I wouldn't let my dad watch my dogs, ever. I love him, but, he follows directions about as well as yours apparently does. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts