Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tricks does your dog know?

I'm looking for new ideas to teach Gypsy. It's been 100+ degrees here, too hot to spend much time running around & playing fetch. My favorite types to teach her are those that we can do anywhere with no or minimal props, but feel free to share any cool tricks! Trick videos and pictures are welcome too!

Besides the basics, Gypsy knows: rollover, spin (clockwise), rotate (counter-clockwise), under, crawl, weave (between legs while standing & while walking), jump, hula hoop (jump through hula hoop), up (stand on hind paws), gimme ten, high-five, shake (right paw), other paw (left paw), perch (rear with front paws on object)

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Tank can shut there outside kennel door and the inside door, I saw "put em up'" and he does this( he is sitting down)

One high five(or two), Can put treats on paws and will leave them till given the okay, and I taught him down in German(I plan on teaching him more words, I just got lazy,haha).

Bentley-speak. I only focused on that because he needed basics down.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
What about teaching your dog names and colours. Gypsy sounds like she might be as smart as my last dog, Muggsy. Muggsy learned red, yellow and blue (I bought tennis balls in all three colours. note: the colours have to be really intense, primary colours. dogs can't tell the difference between pale yellow and pale pink) and he knew my name and my husband's name. I could tell him to get the blue ball and he'd bring me the blue ball. I could tell him to "go bother [husband]" and he'd find my husband and bark at him.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
What tricks does your dog know?
Aleu does high fives, waves byebye, shakes with either left or right, rolls over, can shift easily from a stand to down to a sit and back again or any other way you can think of.
She also speaks and 'sings' which is just a longer more howlywowly version of speak. She gives kisses, prays -which is putting her paws on my arm and placing her nose between her legs.
She does the hula hoop thing too and does a 'touch target'. With that one usually I place my palm out in front of her and tell her 'touch target' or just 'target' and she hits my palm with her nose. I've been working on designating other targets too.

Diesel, well, Diesel likes food xD All he really does is sit, shake, down and play dead, BUT he can do them with just hand signals ;D poor guy.

I like the colors idea. My mom's ex used to have an American Cocker who picked up things very easily. Colors took no time at all and it was a neat way to prove to people that dogs CAN see some color -.-

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Teach all of the tricks via hand signals. Teach Back-up. Touch an object with paw, Nudge an object with nose. Fetch objects by name. Place objects into a toy box.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
The other day I taught Biscuit to blow bubbles in a bowl of water. Is this the dumbest trick of all time? Yes. Is it highly amusing? Yes!

How about "bow" and cross paws?

My agility instructor taught her dogs to climp up a wall with their back feet (doing a handstand on their front paws)...pretty cute!

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some great ideas, guys! Thanks!

Gypsy knows all commands via hand signal. She picks up hand signals REALLY fast. I have to be careful when teaching a new trick to be consistent in what I do with my hands. She picks up nonverbal cues faster than verbal cues, I think.

She knows "touch" in reference to my left or right cupped hand, but I haven't transferred that to objects. Could be fun, especially if I teach colors (another clever idea!). Touch blue. Touch red. Touch yellow. Way cool! Toy names are hard. I think she knows what they are, but she has a toy heirarchy. She’s highly reluctant to bring you the rope, for instance, when the tennis ball is out. She knows the names of our family members and closest friends.

Bow, cross paws, and back up are all good ones. She kinda knows “back up,” but she’ll only back up a step or two. Gotta work on that one. “Bow” would be super cute.

Bubbles! Oh man, that would be fun.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Bubbles is super fun, but messy! There are videos on Youtube. I taught it with shaping. Biscuit is not a messy drinker, but she flings water everywhere when I click and she pulls her face out of the bowl. Hey, my floor needed washing anyway, right?

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I didn't go back and check, so someone else may have mentioned: Teach her to go to specific people on cue; then teach her to carry an object to a named person on cue; teach her to locate/fetch an object ("Gypsy, where are my car keys?" "Gypsy, go Fetch Timmy out of the Well."); then teach her to fetch an onject and carry it to a specific person....You may not be able to get her to take scrambled eggs to Mom, and waffles to Timmy (It's hard for a dog to run the waffle iron); but eggs for everyone may be possible :)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
The other day I taught Biscuit to blow bubbles in a bowl of water. Is this the dumbest trick of all time? Yes. Is it highly amusing? Yes!
Like I ever teach my dogs anything useful. Please. I feed them, house them, buy them toys and give them better medical care than I get, the least they can do is amuse me. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts