·
Registered
6,300 Posts
one of those little flashlights.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
http://www.gundogsupply.com/unleashed-gt1.html

A remote pager-only collar is just the ticket. Unleashed Technologies pager collar has multiple levels of vibration. A number of e-collar users report that the dogs often are "corrected" with non-stim vibration. Some seem to react more negatively to the vibration than the stim. I haven't used this product so I am not endorsing it.

The single-level vibrating pager collars are much cheaper (quality?) but may be a bit much for a dog who is sensitive to that. You could always place such a collar over a bandana or something that would deaden the vibration.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MM I shouldve probably also mentioned that this dog is an abuse case and very very reactive. Not aggressive in of aggression itself but reacts aggressively to physical stimuli.

he also just had an embedded collar removed from his neck three days ago. A friend is fostering him and went I went over there he to a liking to me so she asked me to help with him because he is really suspicious of her..

RBark

I was thinking some sort of hand signal but a flashlight is likely a better idea. like a little pen light you mean?

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
MM I shouldve probably also mentioned that this dog is an abuse case and very very reactive. Not aggressive in of aggression itself but reacts aggressively to physical stimuli.

he also just had an embedded collar removed from his neck three days ago.
Then the vibe collar would not be a good solution--even without the ingrown collar issue.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry RBark...the pic didn't load...I just my email notify and I saw the photo there...

any other suggestions for working with a deaf dog...this guy is one hundred percent deaf.

Im thinking of starting with focusing on me and really getting into his head that he needs to stay paying attention to his handler as much as doggily possible..He won't be off leash at all so while I do want to do recall work with him im not going focus on that...

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Hand signals might work but it's not as obvious as a flashlight. But it wouldn't hurt to have a secondary signal. Something that you don't often do. Like snapping your finger, a obvious sign that can be done instantly.

And yes a dog will feel you stomp the ground, it's a good way to get attention. The vibrating collar I would not recommend. Even though it's not painful, it's an unpleasant feeling and would not work well as a clicker replacement. I would, however, not be opposed to using it for things like alerting the dog to pay attention to you. I.e. put the vibrate on as a cue for "look at me".

Recall work is going to be hard because there's no good way to get the dog to look at you. That's where a vibrating collar can come in handy.

Other than that, just make your hand signals as clear as possible in the beginning. Don't half ass the signal, make them big and well defined. The light is pretty universal way of clicker training a deaf dog even among trainers.

And look at me is going to be the most important signal for you. You're going to want to pound that right into his little doggy brain. Generalize it and proof it everywhere. Proof it near dog parks, near big crowds, near other leashed dogs, just keep proofing and proofing and proofing it until he will turn his head to you no matter what.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hand signals might work but it's not as obvious as a flashlight. But it wouldn't hurt to have a secondary signal. Something that you don't often do. Like snapping your finger, a obvious sign that can be done instantly.

And yes a dog will feel you stomp the ground, it's a good way to get attention. The vibrating collar I would not recommend. Even though it's not painful, it's an unpleasant feeling and would not work well as a clicker replacement. I would, however, not be opposed to using it for things like alerting the dog to pay attention to you. I.e. put the vibrate on as a cue for "look at me".

Recall work is going to be hard because there's no good way to get the dog to look at you. That's where a vibrating collar can come in handy.

Other than that, just make your hand signals as clear as possible in the beginning. Don't half ass the signal, make them big and well defined. The light is pretty universal way of clicker training a deaf dog even among trainers.

And look at me is going to be the most important signal for you. You're going to want to pound that right into his little doggy brain. Generalize it and proof it everywhere. Proof it near dog parks, near big crowds, near other leashed dogs, just keep proofing and proofing and proofing it until he will turn his head to you no matter what.

That's what I thought....

He does a lot of tail tucked ears back almost tiptoeing around and he licks his lips constantly with no breaks. touch makes him flip out if he doesn't see it coming. Im thinking the look at me/focus and heel first. heel because he is reactive to people being behind him. Im also going to working with him on a harness because of his neck. Im thinking step in harness to avoid any major issues.

Im just doing one on one confidence stuff with him right now. I stay very still and seated and just toss him a treat whenever he starts to approach. Also its kind of weird but tapping my foot on the ground seems to calm him if I keep a steady slow rhythm to it.

He is a approximately five year old Catahoula x APBT by the way. Got seized by AC from some BYB scumbags who were breeding him:mad:!

Im not starting with him seriously until he is in better shape.

MM. the dogs I usually work with are all rescues with serious issues. For some bizarre problem dogs like me...when they don't like anyone else..panic attacks, severe aggression, abnormal prey drive and severe anxiety amongst other things. I dunno why...they just like me...*shrug*...so I do what I can for them...

·
Registered
2,263 Posts

He does a lot of tail tucked ears back almost tiptoeing around and he licks his lips constantly with no breaks. touch makes him flip out if he doesn't see it coming. Im thinking the look at me/focus and heel first. heel because he is reactive to people being behind him. Im also going to working with him on a harness because of his neck. Im thinking step in harness to avoid any major issues.

Im just doing one on one confidence stuff with him right now. I stay very still and seated and just toss him a treat whenever he starts to approach. Also its kind of weird but tapping my foot on the ground seems to calm him if I keep a steady slow rhythm to it.

He is a approximately five year old Catahoula x APBT by the way. Got seized by AC from some BYB scumbags who were breeding him:mad:!

MM. the dogs I usually work with are all rescues with serious issues. For some bizarre problem dogs like me...when they don't like anyone else..panic attacks, severe aggression, abnormal prey drive and severe anxiety amongst other things. I dunno why...they just like me...*shrug*...so I do what I can for them...
Good luck zim. I may volunteer in rescue soon, but I don't think I could devote myself to the really hard cases like this at this time in my life. You're really special for doing this for this guy.

Any chance you'll take him home with you? ;)

·
Registered
6,300 Posts

A deaf dog is going to be far more attuned to his sense of feel than most dogs. Likely the tapping is comforting to him because he has an idea of your distance from him. For instance, the deaf husky at the rescue would snap at anyone that approached him. But when people made their positions obvious, he was much more calm. For instance, when the people who fostered him took him in, he would not sleep for days. He would be constantly terrified that someone would sneak up to him, and if he got surprised he would actually attack the person.

So after that, the foster decided to walk with very very heavy steps. It was silly to the rest of us but after a few days of that, the dog was sleeping peacefully. He knew that if he fell asleep he would hear her coming by her footsteps. Trust began from there.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good luck zim. I may volunteer in rescue soon, but I don't think I could devote myself to the really hard cases like this at this time in my life. You're really special for doing this for this guy.

Any chance you'll take him home with you? ;)
If he either doesn't make sufficient progress to get adopted or his fostering becomes a ridiculously extended thing I will put him to the test that will get him into Zim's Sanctuary for Problem Dogs...he will get to meet the Bolo Beast...If she says it is cool with her then I will probably keep him provided in finacially capable...

its too early to tell...

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I have seen a regular flashlight being used for a deaf dog, seemed to work great. I'd think the tiny one would be too easy to miss.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
A flashlight works (Jesirose was in class with my deaf dog client) but not too well in bright light.

I would use a flashlight but also work on desensitizing him to a collar being used so that a vibrating collar could be used eventually. Frankly, being able to tell the dog "Yes, you're doing the right thing" when the dog is NOT looking at you for a handsignal is invaluable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts