Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Around last December a family member gave us a dog that they had found wondering the streets. They took the dog to the vet, approximated the dog was around 3 or 4 years old. When we first took the dog in of course he was quite timid and didn't really know what to think. Now he's QUITE the opposite! The biggest problem I'm having is he is taking stuff and tearing it up in the back yard. We have a 2 year old so we'll find diapers, bottles, her toys. He'll snatch our cups if we go out for fast food and leave it unattended for more than a few minutes. How do you get him to stop doing this aside from either locking him in a kennel or putting him out back (which really isnt an option as it's upwards of 110 degrees in AZ).

He also is almost, too loving in a way. He gets in the moods where he nudges and licks and won't stop. He understands basic commands "sit" "down" "stay" but that goes out the window when he's in "lick" mode. Basically, how on earth do I get an already older dog who was probably brought up on the streets or in not the ideal environment to listen better!?!?!?

·
Registered
211 Posts
It sounds like you need to work more on some obedience basics like sit, stay, leave it and so forth. The Kikopup Channel on YouTube has some great videos about this. Here's one on "Leave it"...

You may have a bit more of a challenge with a former stray who had to struggle to find food to survive but it can be done with persistence and consistency.

Dogs can sometimes get over-excited in a friendly way and that seems to be what's happening with the lick "attacks". The good news is that the dog is rewarded by being around you. So, you can limit this behavior by removing the reward when it becomes too much. Turn your back, leave the room or ignore the dog. They'll get the message that too much doesn't get rewarded. You can also try doing a sit/stay combo and other tricks to focus attention away from you but this will take a while to work as well as ignoring.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you much! I'll be sure to give all of that a whirl. Also, I forgot to mention and don't know if it matters but he still has his "special" parts, I've heard getting those removed may help with calming him down. I just hope he's not already too old to have it done.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You should go ahead and get him fixed to avoid any accidental litters. You can get a dog fixed at any age as long as they're healthy enough for surgery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts