Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, On May 7th I adopted a 6 month old Golden Retriever/German Shepherd Mix from Miami Dade Animal Services. When he was given to me he seemed to be in fine physical condition and they also said that he passed all his health exams. The next day I started to notice signs of him becoming sick. He had a runny nose and was sneezing. I didn't pay much attention to it because it just seemed like a standard cold. As the weekend progressed he started coughing up flem and just seemed to not be feeling well. I took him into the vet on Monday morning to find out that he has severe Pneumonia and would cost me $1200 to make him better. I am a poor college student and I was quite shocked to say the least. He is being hospitalized now but I was just wondering if I have any legal rights to make the shelter at least help me with the bills? I have called multiple times and gotten hung up on and left messages but have received no answer. The vet said that his illness has been ongoing for at least 2 weeks and that the shelter should have diagnosed it. I know I signed a waiver saying that I accept the dog as is but I was also told that he was in fine physical condition. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
I am so sorry this has happened. It is so good of you to adopt a dog from a shelter but it pains my heart to hear what you are going through now. I dont have any advice except to maybe personally visit the shelter and maybe try to talk to someone face to face.. It is so easy to play games on the phone.

I wish you the best...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, The first time I called some receptionist told me that I could come in and exchange the dog for another one as if I wasn't already attached to it. BTW I talked to the vet today and his fever has gone back to normal it was up to a 104.5!!! She said that he can be released early because he has shown very good improvement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
His name is Lou and everybody tells me hes German Shepherd and Retriever (I don't really see the retriever though) and hes about 6 months old.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
He is a cutie! I hope he gets better soon.

Jihad
and the pound puppy crew.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brought Lou home tonight a day early and he seems to be doing alot better. Its hard to keep him from running and playing around. Turns out he had Giardia as well which added more onto the bill (Which I am gradually becoming less upset about). They gave him antibiotics Doxycycline, Clavamox and Panacure for the Giardia. Im bringing the vet bill to the shelter tomorrow. I at least want them to know what we had to go through. Thanks for your concerns.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Awww, he's adorable! Too bad he got so sick. Animal Control shelters are not always the cleanest places (I'm not impressed with what I see on Animal Cops Miami), and having all those dogs in one space can certainly lead to illness. A friend of mine bought a puppy from a large-scale breeder, and just a couple days later she got very sick and had to spend a week at the vet's office. It only cost them $450, but I think everything is less expensive here than in Florida. Hope your puppy feels better soon!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts