Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
No idea...probably a Heinz 57...but he sure is CYOOT!

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Given that he is still so young, it's really hard to even guess at possible breeds. Usually dogs don't start developing those really 'distinguishable' characteristics until they are a bit older. There's also the chance that your pup is a mix of a mix, which will make guessing much harder.

That being said, he definitely looks like he's going to be a decent sized dog once he gets older.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A bit concern about some possible Rottweiler mix....

We heard about some DNA testing at Petco that would be able to tell us what is the genetic background of our pup.

Has anyone used it?
Is it accurate?
Would you recommend it?

Thanks again.

Frederic

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Why would you be concerned?
Ditto.

In my experience, DNA tests are not yet accurate enough that I would put much stock in their findings. For one thing, there are still many many many breeds out there no covered in the test. I've also tests coming back with breeds that are pretty certainly NOT actually part of that dog's make-up. They can maybe give you an educated guess as to what might be in your dog, but I wouldn't use the results as a basis for any important decisions.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had the DNA test done on our puppy ordered it from muttsmart.com it was done by biopet vet lab I think and it was $52- We got it for our puppy because we had no clue what she was and no one else could tell either. Three after getting the sending the test in we got the results back and we can totally see where alot of her traits came from. I think it was cool and it was for fun and knowing alittle of what is in her is cool, she is a great mix of stuff. But with all that being said I would completely say its a very bad idea to get it done if you are worried that a breed will come back that will change you mind and feelings about your puppy. I only did it for fun and have nothing at all negative towards any breed of dog at all. So keep this in mind before you do it...Good luck! Oh yea your puppy is a real sweet and cute as can be.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The coloring looks to be Brindle which is a common trait of APBT (American Pit Bull Terriers).

The ears and face look to be possible of a lab or rotty.

Once he gets a little older you'll be able to pick up more distinguished traits.

Cute Boy! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We were told yesterday that the mother was full lab and that the father was a lab retriever mix....
From the info I could gather from this forum, looks like APBT owners are very happy with their dogs. We have 2 small children in the house and have seek professional advise for dog training. We need a good family dog.

Our pup is very loving and very good with the kids so far. We heard so many bad things about Pitt-Bull/ Rott and kids that we don't want to take any chances.

though, looks like most of the accidents involving APBT were owners related.

Thank you every body for your posts.

Frederic

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
.... We heard so many bad things about Pitt-Bull/ Rott and kids that we don't want to take any chances....Frederic
From what I've seen with Rotties over the years (my mother has had them for around 20yrs) I have come to the conclusion that those dogs are made for families with kids. They are such big goofballs - perpetual puppies. I think the greatest danger from a Rottweiler is being slobbered to death. :p

As with any breed I think it's all about proper socialization.

Jihad
and the pound puppy crew.

·
Registered
191 Posts
We were told yesterday that the mother was full lab and that the father was a lab retriever mix....
From the info I could gather from this forum, looks like APBT owners are very happy with their dogs. We have 2 small children in the house and have seek professional advise for dog training. We need a good family dog.

Our pup is very loving and very good with the kids so far. We heard so many bad things about Pitt-Bull/ Rott and kids that we don't want to take any chances.

though, looks like most of the accidents involving APBT were owners related.

Thank you every body for your posts.

Frederic

Most are owner related and just like aany other breed there are some bad dogs for lack of better words....But that is the same case as us humans. I am a pit lover and think that they are some of the most amazing dogs I have ever seen around kids I have had them around both my kids and all my nieces and nephews and I have have friends with Rotts and always been the best family dogs. My Lab/Pit mix will not let stranger around my kids period or me for that matter. She would put her life before ours and trust she is adored for that. Just remember dogs are animals and have respect for that no matter what type of animal it is, but if you love your dog and treat it right it will be a loving member of your family. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I agree with the other's, it's hard to tell which breed at the moment. But with those brindled legs I can't help but think of Plott Hounds. They are fairly rare but if you live in an area where hunting is a big pastime it's possible a Plott mix could have made it's way into the shelter?

One thing that may put your mind at ease regarding pitties or rotties is that, as you said, "bad" dogs are the product of bad owners. So just get your dog into training and make sure he is socialized from an early age. Also make sure that if your kids are young they are supervised around the pup and know the basic rules about how to play nice with the pup. Also regarding the pitties, it's been my understanding that their potential aggression issues are more related to dog aggression and that they are not known to be people aggressive. So in this respect at least they can be a great choice for a family pet.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Well, instead of worrying about the breed, get your puppy his puppy vet exam, worming, health check and shots and then find a local puppy class and start with training.

He is a cutie and could be any sort of breed... Lab (as you said) and even some Plott Hound (they are brindled).

Your training and consistant and kind handling will make the dog.. not the breed. Of course, as he gets older, lots of walking (hiking too) with kids and dog is a great way to spend free time!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the DNA test results today:

30% Lab retriever
30% Golden Retriever
30% great dane
10% Weimaraner

Fred

1 - 20 of 29 Posts