Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has two dogs. She’s had one since last November, a male Chihuahua/min poodle mix. The second she got last month, a female Chihuahua.

The dogs generally get along well and have fun wrestling together. But she has a couple of concerns she wanted me to post about here.

Nickey (the boy) is an easygoing dog, but since Emmy has come along, he’s become deferential as well. She steals his treats and sometimes growls at him when he comes to the food bowl. My friend has tried to feed them separately, but Nickey seems reluctant to eat when she is at the bowl and even when she’s not near the bowl. He eats less than he used to. He seems to eat best when he and my pup Clayton are together.

So the issues for which my friend wants advice: (1) How can she get Emmy to be less bullying toward Nickey with stealing his treats and such? (2) How can she get Nickey to eat more, short of me sending Clayton over for each meal? ;)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Hmm...
Well she should continue to feed them separately. Two bowls. Sit between them. Maybe add something irresistable to the boy's food. I have to boil rice for Kaki. A little wet food also goes a long way.
She needs to work on the leave-it command. It should be 100% reliable. When emmy goes after a his treats, you should be able to say 'leave-it' and reward with her own treat. Close supervision with treats/food will be necassary since food snatching is a reward to the dog.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
She needs to stand in between the dogs while they are feeding. Once Emmy finishes and makes a move for Nickey's goodies, she should body block Emmy out of the way, placing herself between Emmy and Nickey's food. No harsh corrections or violence is necessary.

I'm assuming Emmy is a well-behaved dog otherwise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts